Notifications
Clear all

Everything Was Perfect Until Flax Seeds.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 10/23/2012 5:27 pm

I had a pretty good run. I was able to somehow find the sweet spot for myself as far as nutrition and vitamin supplementation. I had a good week and a half of nearly perfect skin, until I randomly decided to add flax seeds to my green smoothie twice a day. I figured the addition of omega 3's to my current fish oil regimen would help boost things for me.

Worst. Decision. Ever.

My only concern now is trying to repair the cystic damage that has been done and hope that no more scars occur. I would not suggest males with hormonal related acne to ever take flax seeds or flaxseed oil.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/23/2012 5:54 pm

Yes, many people, usually male, have experienced this. You should probably be careful with other estrogenic foods like soy.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/23/2012 8:30 pm

Sorry. :( I hate when something like that happens. It's even more frustrating when it's something so seemingly healthy that you react to.

Don't worry, if you remove the trigger, the reaction will go down eventually. I know it can seem like forever.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/25/2012 1:39 am

How long were you on the flaxseeds for?

i remember my aunt used to make these cakes (and she put a little flaxseed in it). I never knew she did that (flaxseed in it), and i was eating that cake like everyday for a week. I think that it caused me a bad breakout

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/25/2012 2:09 am

In my opinion foods that contain high amounts of phytoestrogens can DEFINITELY cause huge problems for males (when it comes to acne).

Should be stickied IMO in the diet section.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 10/25/2012 6:38 am

My life is pretty much a nightmare right now.

MemberMember
(@greatsite18)

Posted : 10/25/2012 6:50 am

Ouch. I was already wary of flax but now I know thank you. While theres a lot of useful information on this site, I always make sure to check as many sources as possible before trying something Ive seen here. Like flaxseeds, I'd never heard of them before here, loads of poeple here swear by it, this is a forum populated mainly by acne sufferers and nobody in the world around me knew about flax. So I figured, all the people outside who have clear skin can live without flax, therefor its not essential for me. Anyway we live and learn, get well soon.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 10/25/2012 9:17 am

Soy is okay for me but anything with flax in it makes me break out. Interesting...

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/25/2012 10:53 am

My life is pretty much a nightmare right now.

Owww that looks really painful. I'm so sorry. Your acne looks VERY similar to mine, btw. And I'm 100% convinced that mine is related to the health of my gut. Flax is listed as "illegal" on the gut-healing diet. Are you taking any probiotics?

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 10/25/2012 11:13 am

I've been on/off probiotics for a long time, made homemade kefir for a couple weeks last month, now I'm taking acidophilus pearls

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/25/2012 11:30 am

Awesome. Keep doing that and more. It seems to be helping me.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/25/2012 6:45 pm

Ouch. I was already wary of flax but now I know thank you. While theres a lot of useful information on this site, I always make sure to check as many sources as possible before trying something Ive seen here. Like flaxseeds, I'd never heard of them before here, loads of poeple here swear by it, this is a forum populated mainly by acne sufferers and nobody in the world around me knew about flax. So I figured, all the people outside who have clear skin can live without flax, therefor its not essential for me. Anyway we live and learn, get well soon.

Your logic is actually very sound. I used to be one of those idiotic people who would come on to this website, and believe things that i would read (i obviously checked other sources and reviews... but even then) it was very stupid for me to believe that.

MemberMember
(@hunyeo)

Posted : 10/28/2012 6:03 am

Thanks for this post i never knew.. I have been taking flax seed but never thought it would cause breakouts