Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Ib Lasting Forever

MemberMember
(@kcurry90)

Posted : 10/23/2012 5:22 pm

This is my first post on here so I'm not quite sure how this works. But my derm put me on 50mg of spiro about a month and a half ago and I have since been taking it diligently. The first couple weeks I thought my skin seemed to be doing somewhat better but for the past month almost I have been getting consistent breakouts. However they aren't the same breakouts I used to get. I used to only break out on my cheeks and around my mouth and they would be big red cystic pimples. Now I am getting smaller pimples (still red and inflammed though) but a lot more! I also am breaking out all along my jaw which has NEVER happened to me before - and these are rock solid smaller pimples that never come to a head, but i don't think they're cysts, maybe just clogged oil glands?. I'm going to stick with it though because I know this drug is slow to kick in but I'm just wondering if anyone has had something similar happen and about how long it took to see any kind of results. My derm also just put me on 40mg of oracea to see if that helps with the breakouts.

And a little background.

Have had acne since about 13 (I'm now 22-female)

Fairly oily skin

Went on accutane TWICE, skin would be clear for a year then the acne would came back

Haven't had horrible breakouts until about 5 months ago and since then my skin has not been clear - consistent breakouts

Acne predominantly has always been on the lower part of my face (cheeks and around my mouth)

I would classify my acne currently as moderate

Any words of encouragement would be much appreciated, I'm getting really frustrated

MemberMember
(@emmatorrens)

Posted : 11/15/2012 8:34 am

Hey! I have been on Spiro for two months now too, I've also had some pretty bad breakouts (in unusual places AND normal places too ugh) doesn't seem to be doing anything yet.. Shoul we wait and see? Has anything different happened since you posted here?

MemberMember
(@crab76)

Posted : 11/15/2012 10:12 am

50mg is a low dose. You may need to increase to 100mg. That's a more typical dose for most. Some can stay clear on 25 or 50 but it's rare.

ALSO..... what worked for me is I changed the Generic Manufacturer of the Spiro. I've been on it a long time and have taken three different brands of Generic. Mylan from Walgreens which I was on for like 5 yrs and it cleared me up beautifully. And then I moved so I was on Qualitest from CVS. My skin went NUTS on Qualitest. It was an oily, cystic mess! I even was up to 200mg on Qualitest and still a mess. So I finally put two and two together and switched. I couldn't get Mylan anymore because Walgreens now uses Amneal. I figured I'd give it a shot. With-in 10 days my oil was GONE. And with-in a cpl weeks my skin is 100% clear. At 100mg. It's actually soooooo dry from oil that I just dropped down to 75mg to see if I can stay clear at this dose.

So I'm a firm believer that all Generic's aren't created equal. I created a thread talking about this. Didn't get many people agreeing or disagreeing. But it's a fact. If you google about Generic Manufacturers then you will see lots of people talking about this. Not just with Spiro. But with all generics not being the same.

Just look on your bottle and it should say Spironolactone... and then usually under it will list the Manufacturer. Pharmacy's will buy from the Generic company that gives them the cheapest deal. Some pharmacys are known for using good quality generics. Wallgreens is one of them. Rite Aid & CVS use cheaper ones. Not sure where you live but those are the three major pharmacys where I'm from.

Good Luck! :-)

MemberMember
(@redredred)

Posted : 12/06/2012 9:24 pm

Updates?

MemberMember
(@kcurry90)

Posted : 12/11/2012 3:35 am

Thanks!

Update:

I switched derms about a month ago and he increased my dosage to 100mg once daily (I was on the 50mg for almost 3 months with ZERO improvement). He also has my on an antibiotic for the next month to help with the breakouts I was having and he started me on retin a micro 0.1% and this combo seems to be working out really well!

Although I am far from clear I have had ZERO cystic acne in the past 2-3 weeks and the acne that was popping up in places I'd never had it before has stopped (mainly all along my jawline)! The acne I do get is fairly small and if I don't pick at them they usually go away within 2 days.

Hoping the improvements continue!! eusa_pray.gif

Hey! I have been on Spiro for two months now too, I've also had some pretty bad breakouts (in unusual places AND normal places too ugh) doesn't seem to be doing anything yet.. Shoul we wait and see? Has anything different happened since you posted here?

MemberMember
(@emmatorrens)

Posted : 12/11/2012 3:09 pm

Hey! I started on 50 and had been bumped up to 200 over the next two weeks, that was three months ago. Although I see some improvement in the lower half of my face (still nowhere near clear, they do seem to go away a hell of a lot faster) my forehead is the worst its ever been. I also started Dans regimen about two months ago so that should be working.. aghhhh. Was supposed to see my derm today to talk about going on a Birth control but they changed my time and didn't tell me so I ended up missing it :( I don't know what to do ;'(

How are you getting on?!

MemberMember
(@redredred)

Posted : 12/11/2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for updating!

I actually got my retinoid prescription today (0.025% tretinoin gel)! My dermatologist was happy with my endocrinologist's prescription of 100mg of spironolactone, so I will be sticking with that. I'll also be using Aczone in the morning which is supposed to help with the redness/inflammation.

Its been a few week on sprio and I still haven't had an "initial breakout" but I suppose I will be at a greater risk once I add the tretinoin.

I wish you all the best! I have to say that I am feeling quite confident about all of this.

Hey! I started on 50 and had been bumped up to 200 over the next two weeks, that was three months ago. Although I see some improvement in the lower half of my face (still nowhere near clear, they do seem to go away a hell of a lot faster) my forehead is the worst its ever been. I also started Dans regimen about two months ago so that should be working.. aghhhh. Was supposed to see my derm today to talk about going on a Birth control but they changed my time and didn't tell me so I ended up missing it sad.png I don't know what to do ;'(

How are you getting on?!

MemberMember
(@kcurry90)

Posted : 12/13/2012 10:26 pm

Hey! I started on 50 and had been bumped up to 200 over the next two weeks, that was three months ago. Although I see some improvement in the lower half of my face (still nowhere near clear, they do seem to go away a hell of a lot faster) my forehead is the worst its ever been. I also started Dans regimen about two months ago so that should be working.. aghhhh. Was supposed to see my derm today to talk about going on a Birth control but they changed my time and didn't tell me so I ended up missing it sad.png I don't know what to do ;'(

How are you getting on?!

I would say my skin is currently the BEST it has been in about 6-7 months. I only have ONE active pimple all the others are fading marks..although I do have a few clogged pores along my jawline but they don't bother me! I have seen the most improvement since my dosage was bumped up to 100mg and i started on RAM .1%. What mg of sprio are you on/how long have you been on it? I've been on it since early September and am just now starting to see any sort of results.

MemberMember
(@justsomeone212)

Posted : 12/14/2012 12:02 am

Are you still taking the antibiotic you were prescribed? I ask because I've been on Spiro (75 mg) for three months now, and was prescribed Doxycycline (200 mg a day) 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping to remain on the Doxy until I remain clear, and then ween off it in hopes that the Spiro will have fully kicked it by that point.

Is that what you're thinking of doing as well? Do you think your clearing was a result of the Spiro or the antiobiotic? Any info would be super helpful, I'm three months into the Spiro treatment and still breaking out!

MemberMember
(@mommabear)

Posted : 12/14/2012 11:03 am

How are you getting on?!

I would say my skin is currently the BEST it has been in about 6-7 months. I only have ONE active pimple all the others are fading marks..although I do have a few clogged pores along my jawline but they don't bother me! I have seen the most improvement since my dosage was bumped up to 100mg and i started on RAM .1%. What mg of sprio are you on/how long have you been on it? I've been on it since early September and am just now starting to see any sort of results.

Congratulations on clearer skin!:)

I love to hear a success story!

My daughter is going on her 5th week of spironolactone (50 mg/1st 3 weeks bumped up to 100mg) and this morning we have actually seen some improvement, so incredible!

She had 2 hideous IB and those seem to be clearing. Her breakouts are...different, more bumps on her lower neck and chin but not as huge and deep like they use to be. I think uping her dose and switching from rite aid(Qualitest) to Walmart (amneal) made the difference.

Good luck everyone!

MemberMember
(@kcurry90)

Posted : 12/14/2012 1:16 pm

Are you still taking the antibiotic you were prescribed? I ask because I've been on Spiro (75 mg) for three months now, and was prescribed Doxycycline (200 mg a day) 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping to remain on the Doxy until I remain clear, and then ween off it in hopes that the Spiro will have fully kicked it by that point.

Is that what you're thinking of doing as well? Do you think your clearing was a result of the Spiro or the antiobiotic? Any info would be super helpful, I'm three months into the Spiro treatment and still breaking out!

Yes I am still on my antibiotic. I am honestly not sure what the clearing was a result of. I'm thinking it may definitely be the antibiotic because up until I started taking it my skin was horrible. However, I think the retin a micro is reallyyyy helping as well. I have 8 refills of bactrim and i plan on using them all up, probably will start weening myself off within the next few weeks and then hopefully the spiro and retin a will have taken their full effect. And if not I will see about bumping up my sprio doage to the full 200mg.

Best of luck to you! Hang in there!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/21/2012 6:06 pm

I use the Qualitest generic of Spiro from RiteAid and it works fine for me. But different strokes for different folks. Switching up your generic is a good recommendation, though. One of the generic Tretinoin brands never worked as well for me as the brand name Retin-A.

I also take spiro about an hour before eating. One hour before breakfast, one hour before dinner for the second half. I have found with all oral medications that if I take it directly with a meal, it is not as effective, but if I take on a completely empty stomach, I throw up. An hour before (or after) I eat seems to do the trick. You could also just try taking it with a light snack. You need just enough food to get it going, but a full meal can blunt its absorption.