Notifications
Clear all

Differin, Aha And Benzoyl Peroxide. Good Plan?

MemberMember
(@tommylex)

Posted : 10/23/2012 9:25 am

So I am just starting a new regimine to try and combat my acne...which is mainly loads of under the skin bumps. I have been using differin for a week, and its cleared my forehead up and dried my skin out...but Im still waiitng on the IB. So I decided to try and speed up the process of the IB: I would use differin at night (as prescribed by the doctor) and a small amount of Benzoyl peroxide followed by AHA in the mornings. Is this a good idea? Or am I going to freak out my skin by using so many chemicals.

Any advice would be great, thank you!

p.s I am also on oxtetracycline...trying to cover all possibilities to get rid of this!

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 10/23/2012 9:37 am

What's the point of using BP is you are using Differin?

Differin+AHA it's a nice combination , but the BP is pointless.

MemberMember
(@tommylex)

Posted : 10/23/2012 10:08 am

Thank you for your reply! I thought that BP and differin did different things? I read that it was a good idea to use BP in the morning and differin at night...but why would using differin make BP pointless?

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 10/23/2012 11:00 am

You can't just make up random facts and have absolutely no proof.

Tommy, you are absolutely correct. DIfferin and BP can both be great additions to your acne battling regimen. BP controls oil, destroys acne bacteria (no chance of bacterial resistance), and keeps your pores clean. Differin is one of the more mild retinoid-like topicals that keep your skin cells shedding properly. AHA really doesn't do much for acne on its own, and I would recommend using BP in the morning and differin at night. let me stress... andrewbleah is wrong...BP is not pointless at all lol.

One more thing, invest in a good moisturizer. Both differin and BP will cause your skin to get dry, and you want to be able to control this.

I wouldn't use AHA on top of BP in the morning, that would be too much IMO. Try a normal, non-pore clogging moisturizer instead. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@tommylex)

Posted : 10/23/2012 11:49 am

Thanks Max! All the feedback is really appreciated...I will update how I'm getting on.

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 10/23/2012 12:48 pm

I'm sorry I though you want to use them both at the same time , yes you can use BP in the morrning and Differin at night!

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 10/25/2012 3:49 pm

Tommy, you are absolutely correct. DIfferin and BP can both be great additions to your acne battling regimen. BP controls oil, destroys acne bacteria (no chance of bacterial resistance), and keeps your pores clean. Differin is one of the more mild retinoid-like topicals that keep your skin cells shedding properly. AHA really doesn't do much for acne on its own, and I would recommend using BP in the morning and differin at night. let me stress... andrewbleah is wrong...BP is not pointless at all lol.

One more thing, invest in a good moisturizer. Both differin and BP will cause your skin to get dry, and you want to be able to control this.

I wouldn't use AHA on top of BP in the morning, that would be too much IMO. Try a normal, non-pore clogging moisturizer instead. Hope this helps!

is there any proof to this claim? I have never heard BP controlling oil (from my experience and readings)

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 10/25/2012 8:16 pm

is there any proof to this claim? I have never heard BP controlling oil (from my experience and readings)

Its makes your skin more dry...hence controlling oil. Honestly, i'm not sure what you are talking about, many people on this website know that benzoyl peroxide dries your skin out eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 10/25/2012 11:01 pm

Its makes your skin more dry...hence controlling oil. Honestly, i'm not sure what you are talking about, many people on this website know that benzoyl peroxide dries your skin out eusa_think.gif

the wording "BP controls oil" was a bit misleading, since BP itself doesn't directly affect the output of sebum oil. yes, I agree that BP dries the skin out and does reduce the "oiliness" of the skin

MemberMember
(@tommylex)

Posted : 10/27/2012 5:27 am

The combo I'm using is working really well...BP in the morning, followed by an oil free moisturiser. Sometimes I will use a little bit of AHA instead of moisturiser in the morning. Then differin at night. My skin is starting to clear A LOT but not sure if thats the producst or that I have now been on antibiotics for two weeks. Who cares right, my skin is clearing!! surprised.gif My skin isnt that dry either, which makes a change as usually BP drys my skin out a ton. Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated.