Notifications
Clear all

Genes, Wheat, Allergies, Alcohol?

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 10/23/2012 6:33 am

So I've been doing some searching through the family genes and on my dads side, my aunties mum has allergies to chocolate, cheese and alcohol.

firstly im wondering what are the chances of me getting those through genes? So far no one in my family, from parents to sisters to cousins etc have acne or hormonal issues (of course I'm the odd one out!) so this was confusing. Mostly because my twin doesnt either.

my cousin has eczema and my sister has psoriasis...I have acne..so i'm not sure which organ/body function these could all be related to? the liver?

My question regarding alcohol is..if we're all 'intolerant' to wheat aka wheat it terrible for the body does that mean if you cant tolerate wheat well than you're also allergic to alcohol?

when I do drink, on occasion, I only drink vodka..i'm not really sure which grain that comes from but I'm just wondering because when I heard my aunties mum so aka my grandma from the dads side was allergic to alcohol I kinda freaked out because i think that would be a horrible thing to be allergic to :/

Can one also develop things like being allergic to alcohol and wheat later in life and is it even possible to reverse allergies? (if they are considered genetic which I read the alcohol one is).

at the moment I've been taking a strong liver herb supplement because I still believe my issues point to my liver (despite how healthy it's considered through blood tests). So far its been 2 months on them and acne hasn't seemed to improved..in fact I think it has gotten worse since taking the supplement :/ my acne still points hormonal because the traits of it is clearly fluctuating with my hormones, 2 years observation with that but yeah ..still lost!

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/23/2012 7:50 am

So I've been doing some searching through the family genes and on my dads side, my aunties mum has allergies to chocolate, cheese and alcohol.

firstly im wondering what are the chances of me getting those through genes? So far no one in my family, from parents to sisters to cousins etc have acne or hormonal issues (of course I'm the odd one out!) so this was confusing. Mostly because my twin doesnt either.

my cousin has eczema and my sister has psoriasis...I have acne..so i'm not sure which organ/body function these could all be related to? the liver?

My question regarding alcohol is..if we're all 'intolerant' to wheat aka wheat it terrible for the body does that mean if you cant tolerate wheat well than you're also allergic to alcohol?

when I do drink, on occasion, I only drink vodka..i'm not really sure which grain that comes from but I'm just wondering because when I heard my aunties mum so aka my grandma from the dads side was allergic to alcohol I kinda freaked out because i think that would be a horrible thing to be allergic to :/

Can one also develop things like being allergic to alcohol and wheat later in life and is it even possible to reverse allergies? (if they are considered genetic which I read the alcohol one is).

at the moment I've been taking a strong liver herb supplement because I still believe my issues point to my liver (despite how healthy it's considered through blood tests). So far its been 2 months on them and acne hasn't seemed to improved..in fact I think it has gotten worse since taking the supplement :/ my acne still points hormonal because the traits of it is clearly fluctuating with my hormones, 2 years observation with that but yeah ..still lost!

You can developed allergies at anytime in your life.

I've even become sensitive to certain meats simply because i ate too much of them so it's always wise to mix up the food in take every so often.

I would recommend getting a food sensitivity and a body compositional test.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 10/24/2012 5:08 pm

You can developed allergies at anytime in your life.

I've even become sensitive to certain meats simply because i ate too much of them so it's always wise to mix up the food in take every so often.

I would recommend getting a food sensitivity and a body compositional test.

thanks for your reply.

I'm wondering if you knew which organ those issues mentioned above stem from? aside the acne but the eczema and psoriasis which are seen throughout the family?

MemberMember
(@peony7)

Posted : 10/24/2012 5:40 pm

I have psoriasis on and off - from my research it looks like it is related to high levels of insulin/disfunction of the pancreas. (as is acne and pcos) It is also a sign of auto immune disease and of inflammation in the body. So much so that Drs here now check for autoimmune disease in people diagnosed with psoriasis. I recall a study warning people that psoriasis could be an indicator of pre-diabetes.

I only found this out through researching links between pcos and psoriasis.

There has been a study and also a lot of anecdotal accounts linking gluten to psoriasis so maybe you might want to look into that a bit more.

As for allergies I suspect you may develop them at any time of life but in my opinion they are often related to gut function.

I had psoriasis at a really young age and then developed acne by 9/10 so I think I was either born with the problem or it developed quite young.

As for wheat I find I can eat small amounts of sourdough with no problem.

Interesting that your twin has psoriasis - I know you have said before that she doesn't have acne but maybe she will develop it in the future. I actually had psoriasis before acne and looking back now it was the first warning sign of problems with my insulin.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 10/26/2012 7:33 am

About Alchol (beer), it is made with Gluten (Barley). If you buy Gluten Free beer you should have no problem with it other than the fact it's still Alchol. I don't know anything about other alcholic beverages though.

The funny thing about "developing" food allegies is, your not really developing them. They just may take awhile to give you obvious symptoms. I was tested for 20 foods so far & I'm allergic to 10 of them. Lettuce & bananas were the 2 that really surprised me, I had no symptoms. However, I had only begun eating them on a daily basis (for 10 months) since I went GF. My allergy to bananas is just as high as my allergy to Wheat. So continuing eating bananas i'm sure would be just as damaging to my body as Gluten.

As for reversing them. How could you? The symptoms may go away but your immune system won't be fooled.

Ps I'm also allergic to Pork and I only ate it once a year. These IgG tests are real good and accurate. http://www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/BUSearch.action?submitValue=BUOrderinfo&keyword=Allergen

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 10/26/2012 7:27 pm

I have psoriasis on and off - from my research it looks like it is related to high levels of insulin/disfunction of the pancreas. (as is acne and pcos) It is also a sign of auto immune disease and of inflammation in the body. So much so that Drs here now check for autoimmune disease in people diagnosed with psoriasis. I recall a study warning people that psoriasis could be an indicator of pre-diabetes.

There has been a study and also a lot of anecdotal accounts linking gluten to psoriasis so maybe you might want to look into that a bit more.

As for allergies I suspect you may develop them at any time of life but in my opinion they are often related to gut function.

I had psoriasis at a really young age and then developed acne by 9/10 so I think I was either born with the problem or it developed quite young.

Interesting that your twin has psoriasis - I know you have said before that she doesn't have acne but maybe she will develop it in the future. I actually had psoriasis before acne and looking back now it was the first warning sign of problems with my insulin.

thank for your info :)

I don't have psoriasis and sorry I meant my older, other sister has it not my twin. My twin has nothing haha, perfect skin perfect everything (gr). My cousin has the eczema and my older sister has the psoriasis

About Alchol (beer), it is made with Gluten (Barley). If you buy Gluten Free beer you should have no problem with it other than the fact it's still Alchol. I don't know anything about other alcholic beverages though.

The funny thing about "developing" food allegies is, your not really developing them. They just may take awhile to give you obvious symptoms. I was tested for 20 foods so far & I'm allergic to 10 of them. Lettuce & bananas were the 2 that really surprised me, I had no symptoms. However, I had only begun eating them on a daily basis (for 10 months) since I went GF. My allergy to bananas is just as high as my allergy to Wheat. So continuing eating bananas i'm sure would be just as damaging to my body as Gluten.

As for reversing them. How could you? The symptoms may go away but your immune system won't be fooled.

Ps I'm also allergic to Pork and I only ate it once a year. These IgG tests are real good and accurate. http://www.questdiag...eyword=Allergen

thanks for the link, can people in australia use those tests or should I go to the doctors? I've been before to the docs regarding wanting to get tested or allergies but I don't have a few hundred to pay for the tests. in fact the doc told me not to bother because the tests aren't 'accurate' enough vs money in her opinion :S

this bumps could be an allergy but i've 'tested' by elimination for weeks at a time and nothing stuck out.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 10/26/2012 9:27 pm

thank for your info smile.png

I don't have psoriasis and sorry I meant my older, other sister has it not my twin. My twin has nothing haha, perfect skin perfect everything (gr). My cousin has the eczema and my older sister has the psoriasis

Ps I'm also allergic to Pork and I only ate it once a year. These IgG tests are real good and accurate. http://www.questdiag...eyword=Allergen

thanks for the link, can people in australia use those tests or should I go to the doctors? I've been before to the docs regarding wanting to get tested or allergies but I don't have a few hundred to pay for the tests. in fact the doc told me not to bother because the tests aren't 'accurate' enough vs money in her opinion :S

this bumps could be an allergy but i've 'tested' by elimination for weeks at a time and nothing stuck out.

I work in a lab @ my doctors office, they don't know these tests even exist. These are IgG's vs the IgE's which are not accurate (total waste of money yet the only allergy tests Dr's order), just like the Celiac Panel. Quest Diagnostic is 1 of the 3 top Reference Labs in the U.S.. Doctors rely on them for diagnosis, they better be accurate (which they are).

If your Dr order's these tests, your insurance should pay for them & they will go to the Reference Lab that they rely on everyday for their testing.

As I stated before, elimination diet is very hard to do to find your allegies. When you know what your allergic to it's a lot easier avoiding it. For instance, wheat is hidden in a lot of foods (ex: Modified Food Starch), without knowing for sure, I would guess I'm having a reaction to something else.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/26/2012 9:45 pm

I also had psoriasis and other rashes before having acne.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 10/27/2012 12:28 am

I'll have to have a look at allergy tests when I have the money, last time the doc def said it was around $300 yet not very accurate.

but i will consider it again.

so annoying. today I have a HUGE lump on my forehead. It almost just feels like bone it's so weird. like the lump is on the hardest part of my forehead. its probably around 2-3cm long. Just popped up. hurts and I look disfigured. I thought i could feel pressure so I attempted to pop it in a sanitized and less harmful way but all that was in it was just clear, weepy stuff almost looked just like water. so weird. Is that even a pimple? >.< I guess another thing about my forehead that annoys me is it constantly flakes, its not dry or anything though but consistently had dead/dry skin.

not sure why last month things seemed calmer than they are now. so frustrating honestly dont even know which way to turn anymore for anything im just doing nothing because I dont even know what to do anymore :0

MemberMember
(@souphero)

Posted : 11/15/2012 11:35 pm

Eczema, acne andpsoriasis is linked to leaky gut syndrome which is exacerbated by alcohol, coffee, gluten, dairy and other foods. Leaky gut can actually be inherited in three different ways (genetic predisposition, learned diet and lifestyle habits, sharing of microbial environment ) which might be the reason why skin illnesses run in your family. Autoimmune paleo diet could be the right response.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 11/17/2012 12:20 am

On 11/16/2012 at 10:35 AM, SoupHero said:

Eczema, acne andpsoriasis is linked to leaky gut syndrome which is exacerbated by alcohol, coffee, gluten, dairy and other foods. Leaky gut can actually be inherited in three different ways (genetic predisposition, learned diet and lifestyle habits, sharing of microbial environment ) which might be the reason why skin illnesses run in your family. Autoimmune paleo diet could be the right response.

Thank you for the help,

Last year I convinced myself I had a leaky gut issue and took according steps (even bone broths my family thought I was so weird). I don't eat dairy or drink coffee but I did/do consume alcohol. I'm the only one with a skin illness in my family in the sense of location. My sister with psoriasis and cousin with eczema don't live with me. I've read a lot about leaky gut before but I'm curious if you had any tips for me. I never really suspected leaking gut mostly because my acne is incredibly hormonal (clock work with my period etc) and I spent a 2 years changing up my diet with no avail in the slightly (every day still doing the green juices, coconut oil etc). guess I'm a little lost where to start again.

however I don't have noticeable leaky gut symptoms no bloating, gas, pains, cramps, no known food sensitivities I dont have celiac disease, I go to the toilet regularly etc.

Maybe I might consider buying some digestive enzymes (so expensive though). I've also been taking a strong probiotic for 2 years but noticed no acne difference or health with it.

The only 'strange' issues I've had was once I had low iron (it was an absolute zero) for about a year despite supplementation and despite eating mean and lots of eggs etc, doctors had no idea what to do. Then all of a sudden when I got acne ironically my iron returned to normal and has been that way ever since. I wish I knew what that was all about it's as it's possibly a link to the cause of my acne.

This year I had to have b12 supplements as my b12 was dangerously low but only occurred in the space of 3 months. The doctors said that was impossible however I had the history of blood tests to show it was in fact possible.

my doctors said leaky gut doesn't exist so i've had a hard time getting help 'professionally' and wrapping my mind around everything......

sorry bit of a ramble