Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal Acne / Low Carb / Shbg Levels

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 10/22/2012 11:26 am

Just read a couple articles pretty much saying hormonal acne is caused by too much free testosterone which with lowered SHBG levels result in excess sex hormones in the body slowing down the liver and kidneys, which result in toxins being pushed out the skin into acne.

Article was saying that all sugar and grains drop SHBG levels from 50-80%. And for a hormonal acne diet suggested pretty much high fat/low carb. Also suggesting to skip breakfast, or if possible juice a bunch of good detoxing vegetables in the morning. Then for the rest of your day eat organic meats, eggs, coconut oil/milk/butter, lots of veggies, small amounts of nuts/seeds/beans. And to eat up on broccoli and cabbage to help cleansing.

So it looks like a typical diet that most of us are already aware of, but the lowering of the SHBG is really interesting. A lot of acne people find good success in eliminating sugar and grains, this could be why. I'm also going to try the juicing only in the morning. My recipe is celery, cucumber, beet, parsley, ginger, lemon.

Then not eat again until lunch, and then dinner, nothing at night. I have rather big meals for lunch and dinner, and take digestive enzymes with them which I know make a world of a difference. So yeah thats the plan, and take B-5 in the morning with the juice, and then zinc later on with a meal.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/22/2012 2:20 pm

whats the thinking on not eating a full breakfast? im pretty sure its the most important meal to fuel your body for the day...and grazing all day is supposed to be healthier for your body than waiting, getting too hungry and eating 3 large meals.

i have also read recently that zinc can increase testosterone levels in women... which can cause acne.

so many different and contradicting things make this all very difficult and frustrating eh?

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 10/22/2012 8:10 pm

Personally, I try to fast as much as I can.

We all do eat more than we are suppose to. I feel like crap whenever I eat much carbs that fills me up, I didn't notice it until I switched my diet.

Eating much carbs for breakfast, your chance of developing acne is nearly 2x higher. That is from personal experience.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/22/2012 8:37 pm

the thing is that acne is so personal. what works for one, doesnt work for others.

ive eaten gluten free, no dairy, no grains, low sugar and i still have hormonal acne...

i mean its good to eat that way anyways, and i wish it was the answer but for some, its not enough.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/23/2012 3:40 am

whats the thinking on not eating a full breakfast? im pretty sure its the most important meal to fuel your body for the day...and grazing all day is supposed to be healthier for your body than waiting, getting too hungry and eating 3 large meals.

i have also read recently that zinc can increase testosterone levels in women... which can cause acne.

so many different and contradicting things make this all very difficult and frustrating eh?

Good post.

I graze, eat little and often every 3 hours or so, be it when i am training or injured like i am now. I still maintain my life style and eat that way. It suites my life style and i like eating every 3 hours.

However there is a lot of research going into Intermittent fasting, eating within a set time frame and not eating for the rest of the day.

However, i would argue nutrient timing is at the bottom of the list when it comes to health. What we consume over when we consume it. It is far more important to make sure we are eating nutrient dense foods. Get this right and nutrient times is far less important. A lot of people will disagree with me on this and that is fine but my argument is, that timing is irrelevant if what we are eating is a load of crap.

The argument for nutrient is for hormonal balance and there is a lot of weight behind this and it does work. But as i already said, if our fuel source is wrong then it really doesn't matter at time of day we pollute our bodies.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/23/2012 9:04 am

side note: my skin was better when i was 10lbs heavier than i am now. im at my lowest adult weight now and my skin has been at its worst for since may

i also started doing triathlons this year and training got intense in april-august.

i wish it was easy to pin point.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/23/2012 10:39 am

Zinc improves the body's ability to manage hormones so where testosterone is low, it increases it in either gender

Skipping breakfast is one method people follow for intermittent fasting which has many, many benefits that affect acne. There are other ways too. I personally would never skip breakfast.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/23/2012 12:50 pm

i wouldnt skip breaky either.

i dont understand how intermittent fasting would help acne...

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/23/2012 1:06 pm

i wouldnt skip breaky either.

i dont understand how intermittent fasting would help acne...

I usually skip dinner or have minimal calories such as a soup or veggies with just a little fat to absorb the nutrients.

It's beneficial for many aspects of health including blood sugar metabolism and cell proliferation which affect acne. It produces the same benefits as calorie restriction. We are not meant to have so much to eat all of the time. Going hungry once in a while triggers some very important processes. Such as the recycling of tissues. It's very anti aging.

Weve had half a dozen good threads on intermittent fasting several of which were bumped recently. Check them out.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/23/2012 1:51 pm

so if it produces the same benefits of calorie reduction then i should see those same benefits, no?

i eat a restricted amount of calories daily...especially during duathlon training season.

my skin is the clearest the week i have my period. always has been. the week before, it becomes a distaster.

ive done gluten removal and dairy removal and rice removal trials. i havent seen much results yet on my skin, however my KP is gone when i dont eat gluten.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 11/04/2012 1:15 pm

Update post.. Ive been juicing now for 2 weeks now, and my skin is completely clear. I had four painful breakouts when I started juicing and they started dying very quickly after starting this regimen, within a week they were all gone, its been 2 weeks now and am completely clear. I know though that 2 weeks is nothing, but Im really happy with the results so far and keeping my fingers crossed.

For those interested, I wake up in the morning, drink almost a liter of water. Wait 30 min, have my juice which usually consists of beet, carrot, cucumber, celery, parsley, red cabbage, lemon, and ginger. I want to try burdock root as Ive read its one of if not the best blood purifiers and organic detoxers, and there are studies of it clearing acne too which is interesting. But yeah I gotta look around the one health store near me didnt have it.

But yeah I drink the juice, then wait about 2-3 hours and have a trail mix type snack of sunflower, pumpkin and chia seeds with coconut oil. I used to add bananas and berries but Im trying no sugar again as well, the only sugar I get is in the beet and carrots juicing. Then I have two more main meals for the day which consist of some type of organic brown rice and beans, usually lentils or mung. Chicken or turkey.. sometimes salmon or tuna. Salad mix with both meals, I get the organic spring mix. And then toss on some diced onions, EVOO, ACV, some spices..

My dinner is usually about 6-7 pm depending on what i am doing/work.. but after that i dont eat again until my juice the next morning, which isnt really a meal until the trail mix thing I eat. so my body gets plenty of time to detox and has easy digestion. I take a digestion enzyme with one of my main meals as well, as well as B5 in the morning with my juice, and zinc with my high fat trail mix snack.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/06/2012 12:23 am

I have to agree with the initial thread.

I first had the best clearing on the regimen. The regimen only goes so far. I had the most clearing by changing my diet.

I'm clear right now. I still use the regimen, but in smaller doses. I find it takes care of most surface acne from ever forming.

There's a ton of information here, but here are the bullet points that I agree with :

- Fasting has beneficial effects for the body.

- Calorie restriction is key in curing acne

- Portion control is key

- Lower carb / higher fat has been beneficial for my acne

- Get your carbohydrates through green vegetables!

- Eat a lot of good meat. I tend to buy grass-fed beef and mostly pork / fish

- Avoid processed foods

- Avoid wheat

The hardest part of all of this is actually doing it. Here's my advice on how to get the discipline to do it :

- Start a food log

- Document all of your spots

- Start with a simple diet first (meat, veggies, and fruit) with very little variety

- Stay with the simple diet and slowly incorporate more "exotic" varieties if you desire

I personally find the pleasure that food brings me, does not outweigh the displeasure of having an acne breakout.

I have to say as a testimonial, that whole food diets work. Diet and acne not related? It's an enraging statement, considering I had to live with that misinformation for the past 15 years. Question everything, and don't write anything off until you try it.

At this point in my life, I really have myself to blame if I break out.

Update post.. Ive been juicing now for 2 weeks now, and my skin is completely clear. I had four painful breakouts when I started juicing and they started dying very quickly after starting this regimen, within a week they were all gone, its been 2 weeks now and am completely clear. I know though that 2 weeks is nothing, but Im really happy with the results so far and keeping my fingers crossed.

For those interested, I wake up in the morning, drink almost a liter of water. Wait 30 min, have my juice which usually consists of beet, carrot, cucumber, celery, parsley, red cabbage, lemon, and ginger. I want to try burdock root as Ive read its one of if not the best blood purifiers and organic detoxers, and there are studies of it clearing acne too which is interesting. But yeah I gotta look around the one health store near me didnt have it.

But yeah I drink the juice, then wait about 2-3 hours and have a trail mix type snack of sunflower, pumpkin and chia seeds with coconut oil. I used to add bananas and berries but Im trying no sugar again as well, the only sugar I get is in the beet and carrots juicing. Then I have two more main meals for the day which consist of some type of organic brown rice and beans, usually lentils or mung. Chicken or turkey.. sometimes salmon or tuna. Salad mix with both meals, I get the organic spring mix. And then toss on some diced onions, EVOO, ACV, some spices..

My dinner is usually about 6-7 pm depending on what i am doing/work.. but after that i dont eat again until my juice the next morning, which isnt really a meal until the trail mix thing I eat. so my body gets plenty of time to detox and has easy digestion. I take a digestion enzyme with one of my main meals as well, as well as B5 in the morning with my juice, and zinc with my high fat trail mix snack.

MemberMember
(@loveinfinity8)

Posted : 05/06/2013 7:09 pm

I'm just as objective as anyone especially from experiencing 9 and counting years of battling consistent moderate acne, I'm 21 going on 22, including horrifying disfiguring cystic acne and inflammation, I changed my diet 1 1/2 years ago to paleo/gluten free and no processed/packaged foods, anything from the grocers was evil in my eyes, I never drink milk but sometimes cheese, butter and yogurt, I'm not positive if I have reactions to dairy, I'm strict on sources and the quality of my food, I get most of my diet from trusted sources at the farmers market and I avoid all but very few things at specialty foodie stores, no pre-prepared food, all my water comes from a trusted and tested spring which is free, I take no medication, no topical treatments (though I have been on that path as everyone else) and I make whatever I put on my body, I steam my face once a day with coconut oil and a homemade exfoliator: fine himalayan pink rock salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cayenne that is also my tooth powder after that I moisturize with banana peel and at night I use braggs apple cider vinegar as an astringent and use a banana peel again it feels amazing to me so I keep with it, I avoid everything I believe my body would have to detoxify of..

when I had first changed my diet I had hoped to see improvement as all my intentions are towards the health of my skin since that is the most outwardly unhealthy I feel that I look, I have in my head that since my skin looks unhealthy then I'm doing something wrong and people are going to judge me as being unhealthy or ignorant..I spend many hours researching, listening to radio shows and ranting along with my boyfriend about how backwards the world works, I weigh around 100lbs if the scale is correct and am 5'5" which means I'm a little underweight but I dont feel I look like it when I see myself, I eat enough, always feel satisfied and I never go feeling hungry, I drink an average of 72oz a day of water and only water and just about every day I do a little under 50 minutes of breathing, stretching and core strengthening vinyasa yoga as I've kept with for many years, I include the bates method eye exercises for my astigmatism, I stopped wearing glasses..I eat once a day, I snack about once a day and have a morning smoothie I am completely satisfied and I dont have cravings, I try my hardest to get enough sleep since that is a factor in hormone and digestion issues, I just get distracted by studying so I've been on average a bit sleep deprived and have had insomnia from going to bed when the sun is coming up and I've developed somnambulism at my worst (doing things during sleep you cant explain)

After I realized that the paleo diet I was following wasn't going to help completely, I ate mostly vegetables, some fruit, leafy greens and some meat or organ meat, my skin still broke out in horrible cysts and inflammation, I continued relentlessly on my trail, concerning myself of glycemic index/loads, IGF-1, GAPS diet and finally I've been led to Primal/Isoenergetic eating and Fructose Malabsorption, Insulin Resistance, PCOS, Free Testosterone/Low Sex Hormone Binding Globulin and Hepatic Lipogenesis, reading a little about this just last night, basically the only reason I'm posting is to share the idea in these linked articles below..

which are onto something a little "unconventional" for sure, I've been trying this for a little while, cutting out almost all veges and fruit and limited nuts but I still have half a banana a day with homemade almond butter, I still have almonds and a few types of seeds and I eat homemade hummus, I have leafy greens and celery and herbs at the worst of possible offenders..but my diet is pretty simple..some of these I'll need more time to adjust to omitting since I just learned of this

I live off very little money and meat is pretty expensive but I've formed a pretty easy diet out of habit, convenience and simplicity of ingredients, a lot of things I make homemade

I have a smoothie in the morning based on fat and no fruit, vegetables or greens

I have dinner which is either a small salad which I add celery heated in homemade bone broth soup or a just the small salad both with a primary serving of meat, salmon, grain free salmon cakes, chicken liver, chicken, ground beef, ground turkey or maybe oysters, clams, shrimp, scallops or crab

I add an important mixture based on homemade tallow and coconut oil but some things to make it tasty like apple cider vinegar, himalayan salt and some herbs

I add this as a dressing to the meat salad or into the meat salad bone soup

I want to add in 1 potato a week and 1 sweet potato another week.. having 1/3 of a potato spread out over the course of 2 weeks to experiment with those starches..I know sweet potatoes are higher in fructose but its worth a try

I've noticed a big reduction in inflammation, my current cysts are subsiding and no new ones for almost a week, I'm usually really bad on my chin or center of forehead and small ones all over usually, I'm sticking to this and eventually will probably have to cut out other my possible offenders like any veges, leafy greens, hummus, nuts and seeds, any dairy products..so forth..if my skin still doesnt clear up