Notifications
Clear all

Acne Eharmony

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/21/2012 5:00 pm

Yes you read that right...

I'm just curious really. Has anyone from acne.org ever gotten married or started dating from this site?

I think this site has a lot of potential, especially since most people here understand what other acne sufferers are going through- and hey, it's a great conversation starter plus it's something every datee would have in common!

Boy: "Hey, so.. I got this pimple..."

Girl: Smiles. "Me too!!"

If nothing else, a great icebreaker. So are there any success stories here? If so I'd love to hear about them. What are ya'lls thoughts on this?

Or is the idea of meeting up too unrealistic because of our own perceived image and self-worth?

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 10/21/2012 6:43 pm

Personally I've always thought it would be a great idea. Most people respond with "I don't want to be defined by my acne" but I don't think that's an issue when it comes to dating a person who shares the issues that you deal with and understands the issues that you deal with. I think it would make for the perfect relationship because people could bond over the struggle of dealing with day to day skin issues.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/21/2012 9:52 pm

Yea that's kind of my thoughts towards it as well.

But I guess for some with acne the whole thought of dating is just not realistic for them. They don't want to be looked at- they don't want to go out in public- they'd rather be left alone and live a life of solitude. And I completely understand that because I was very similar during my worst days.

But it really helps to have someone who doesn't judge you harshly- as well as someone that wants to figure out a solution as much as you do.

I thought I read a thread somewhere on here that a couple got hooked up from this site...

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 10/22/2012 12:30 am

actually two of the moderator people on here are engaged! and theres some other people whove met and hung out and some who dated i think

i dont know if i would join a dating site in general, but im only 18 so who knows what will happen in the future, but it definitely would be nice to have someone whos had similar experiences so you can vent and joke about acne crap together

MemberMember
(@jamris12)

Posted : 10/22/2012 4:31 am

^ there is a thread about their engagement in the lounge if you haven't seen that yet.

i think there has been quite a few people who have started a relationship after meeting on the site. people gravitate towards others who can empathize with their struggles, skin condition or no skin condition. there is usually a mutual understanding of acne when you meet someone who has suffered as you have, but that doesn't mean you guys are going to automatically get along. be careful on the site, and having said that, i have met some awesome people here. there is always good with the bad. if you start a friendship with someone, choose wisely. depending on what goes down, you might never be able to visit this site again. lol

i met a friend like three years ago, and she's hilariously funny, gracious, and it started with just one message. i can't imagine not knowing her now. pretty crazy. i plan to visit her one day n party like crazy :)

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/22/2012 6:56 am

I'm just curious really. Has anyone from acne.org ever gotten married or started dating from this site?

I think this site has a lot of potential, especially since most people here understand what other acne sufferers are going through- and hey, it's a great conversation starter plus it's something every datee would have in common!

If nothing else, a great icebreaker. So are there any success stories here? If so I'd love to hear about them. What are ya'lls thoughts on this?

Or is the idea of meeting up too unrealistic because of our own perceived image and self-worth?

Been here since 2002 and a lot of people who i consider friends have got together and one couple are engaged to be married. So yes it happens more than you might think :)

The problem i see with people getting together on here is they can end up emotionally depending on each other which is a one way ticket to disaster.

They depend on that person to make it all better for the other. This can't be done has both parties have emotional issues and it becomes self destructive.

In the rare case it has worked. However i would advise anyone to stay single if you are still struggling to come to terms with yourself

MemberMember
(@quietjamie14)

Posted : 10/22/2012 11:37 am

Not sure that this would work for me, personally. My self-esteem is so low I find it hard to believe that a girl with acne could find me attractive; there's too much wrong with me, even beyond skin problems. In real life, I know and like a girl with moderate acne at the moment, but that hasn't really helped my self-consciousness in any way - I still automatically assume that she'd rather date someone else and would trade me in for a better catch at the first chance.

I could understand how such a dating site might work for others, though.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/22/2012 2:26 pm

interesting feedback.. and I want to make a comment on something TakeToTheSkies said..

I think you're right when you talk about not putting all of our cards into that ONE person-- like they would be the "special cure" to all of our problems.

No one (in my opinion) wants to date someone with 0 self-esteem and self-worth.

So I think once a person with acne comes to terms with their condition- and not allow it to rule their life- then that's when they would be ready to date. And that's when a place like this would be beneficial to them while looking for someone with a similar background.

Haha that's awesome to hear those people are engaged! I'm guessing they met from this site? That's what I'm talking about! ;)

Not sure that this would work for me, personally. My self-esteem is so low I find it hard to believe that a girl with acne could find me attractive; there's too much wrong with me, even beyond skin problems. In real life, I know and like a girl with moderate acne at the moment, but that hasn't really helped my self-consciousness in any way - I still automatically assume that she'd rather date someone else and would trade me in for a better catch at the first chance.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 10/22/2012 7:27 pm

Hey you might be on to somthin man "Acne Book". Imagine that.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/22/2012 7:36 pm

Hey you might be on to somthin man "Acne Book". Imagine that.

hahahaha.. great idea.. but I have a feeling a lot of profile pics will be the silhouette of a guy's face and a question mark lol

(and yes, I had to look up how to spell silhouette)

MemberMember
(@jamris12)

Posted : 10/23/2012 2:16 am

lol thanks for the likes.

to specify a lil more on my post..what i meant by not being able to visit the site is i remember a long time ago i read a thread on members bashing each other. i think they had some type of romance, and then they ended up loathing each other. lol it obviously depends on what type of person you are, but the whole objective of the site is to share info, and hopefully help others with acne cope. so many people come here to feel that they aren't alone..sort of like a sanctuary. i don't think it's right to create threads about the drama you share with another member. take it up with the person, and leave your personal issues off the site.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/23/2012 2:51 am

interesting feedback.. and I want to make a comment on something TakeToTheSkies said..

I think you're right when you talk about not putting all of our cards into that ONE person-- like they would be the "special cure" to all of our problems.

No one (in my opinion) wants to date someone with 0 self-esteem and self-worth.

So I think once a person with acne comes to terms with their condition- and not allow it to rule their life- then that's when they would be ready to date. And that's when a place like this would be beneficial to them while looking for someone with a similar background.

Haha that's awesome to hear those people are engaged! I'm guessing they met from this site? That's what I'm talking about! wink.png

And bro I meant you no disrespect with my comment-- you have self-esteem and it's evident just by the mere fact you're here on this site. If you had 0 self esteem you wouldn't be here in the first place.. because you would have given up on yourself. But obviously you haven't. I'm sure whatever is going on with you is not as bad as you think. We are all our worst critic. Don't lose faith in yourself man!

Totally agree.

"Coming to terms with their condition"

This is the key point, being comfortable with oneself.

I see it all the time and not just with acne sufferers. People who are very insecure latch on to others to make it all better for them. That is just a one way ticket to a messy break up.

A relationship should be 50/50. Its about enhancing each others life, not dominating it and emotionally sucking each other dry.

I've been relationships where it was all emotional baggage but thankfully i learned from that and now i'm with someone is balanced (most of the time, always that special time of the month for the ladies lol) we have fun, spend time together but most importantly spend time apart and give each other space.

to specify a lil more on my post..what i meant by not being able to visit the site is i remember a long time ago i read a thread on members bashing each other. i think they had some type of romance, and then they ended up loathing each other. lol it obviously depends on what type of person you are, but the whole objective of the site is to share info, and hopefully help others with acne cope. so many people come here to feel that they aren't alone..sort of like a sanctuary. i don't think it's right to create threads about the drama you share with another member. take it up with the person, and leave your personal issues off the site.

lol true.

Believe there have been some messy threads on here and i was even involved in "bashing" at one point. It is very easy to get sucked into it especially when you are good friends with someone and they do you a wrong turn.

Everyone makes mistakes, its how we learn and adapt that defines us people. I learned the hard way, said things i didn't mean, even made things up about myself when i was my worse and hugely depressed. But i learned, adapted and keep a safe distance.

As you say it's a place for sharing and that's exactly how should be.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 10/23/2012 3:09 am

I actually know of a couple who met on the 'Org who are going to get married in a year's time. I'm online friends with the girl in that couple, and she's a real sweetheart. They're both veteran members, I am pretty sure.

I would have no issue meeting someone from this site. If I found a connection with someone, and thought he was attractive, then why not? Who cares if he had acne? I have scarring that I'm working on right now, so who would I be to judge? I like the idea of meeting somebody who at least knows what it's like to have to deal with acne, even if his was already clear. There would automatically be a level of comfort in my mind, anyway.

MemberMember
(@jamris12)

Posted : 10/23/2012 10:24 am

lol true.

Believe there have been some messy threads on here and i was even involved in "bashing" at one point. It is very easy to get sucked into it especially when you are good friends with someone and they do you a wrong turn.

Everyone makes mistakes, its how we learn and adapt that defines us people. I learned the hard way, said things i didn't mean, even made things up about myself when i was my worse and hugely depressed. But i learned, adapted and keep a safe distance.

As you say it's a place for sharing and that's exactly how should be.

lol you live and you learn, rite? if my post sounded like i don't get drama queen-ish, that's very untrue. i can be a huge drama queen. i just don't believe in letting the whole world know about problems you are having with someone; i believe in confronting that person directly. lol however, i do understand that it can get personal here, and that it can get difficult not to make topics about certain members. believe me, i know that from experience.

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 10/23/2012 11:15 am

Actually yeah, I am new here, but I made a great guy friend/more than a friend on the site just within the last month or two, and we may meet eachother soon. Who knows, but I think it's a great idea friend wise or even dating. I myself don't have many friends in real life, or can find someone romantically because of the social anxiety, but it builds a common ground. I find it's easier to talk to someone who understands where I am coming from, especially since my acne is a big part of my life.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/23/2012 9:19 pm

post-185980-0-25235200-1351045125_thumb.This is what I had in mind... lol

post-185980-0-25235200-1351045125_thumb.

Murph89 liked
MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/24/2012 4:16 am

lol very good

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 10/24/2012 8:51 am

Now THAT'S funny.

MemberMember