Notifications
Clear all

Dermaroller Newbie Here. Need Help On A Few Questions.

MemberMember
(@xxmayfreexxhotmail-com)

Posted : 10/21/2012 2:41 pm

Hello all. I'm a 26 year old African-American male, and I recently ordered a 1.0 mm Dermaroller that is pending arrival. I will be using this roller primarily for hypertrophic and slightly pitted acne scars on my cheeks. I have a couple of questions prior to its arrival, though:

- How often should I use this roller? I see some people saying to only use the 1.0 mm roller once every 2 weeks or so for acne scars and I see others saying that it's okay to use it daily. The latter sounds like it would be waaayyy too aggressive of a treatment but I could be wrong. Plus, I have pretty tough skin to boot so I'm not sure if skin texture is a factor in this or not.

- How hard should I rub the roller on my skin? The general verdict I keep hearing is that softer is better even though even though to some it seems like it wouldn't be. But after seeing some videos with doctors rubbing the roller on their patients' skin very roughly and causing some pretty heavy bleeding (I know some bleeding is normal, but there was quite a bit in the videos I saw), I'm not sure if rolling roughly is the right way to go or not.

- Can I continue to use Retin-A on the areas I have rolled? I've been using Retin-A for a while now and I keep reading mixed responses on using Retin-A in conjunction with a roller. Some say it can penetrate deeper and help scars more when used after needling and others say it's detrimental.

- Can I just clean the roller with hot water, a bit of soap, and soak it in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes afterward?

Any constructive help would be appreciated since I really want to get these questions answered before my roller arrives so I can use it properly and not cause further damage. Thanks. smile.png

MemberMember

Posted : 10/21/2012 6:58 pm

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 10/21/2012 7:09 pm

Hello all. I'm a 26 year old African-American male, and I recently ordered a 1.0 mm Dermaroller that is pending arrival. I will be using this roller primarily for hypertrophic and slightly pitted acne scars on my cheeks. I have a couple of questions prior to its arrival, though:

- How often should I use this roller? I see some people saying to only use the 1.0 mm roller once every 2 weeks or so for acne scars and I see others saying that it's okay to use it daily. The latter sounds like it would be waaayyy too aggressive of a treatment but I could be wrong. Plus, I have pretty tough skin to boot so I'm not sure if skin texture is a factor in this or not.

- How hard should I rub the roller on my skin? The general verdict I keep hearing is that softer is better even though even though to some it seems like it wouldn't be. But after seeing some videos with doctors rubbing the roller on their patients' skin very roughly and causing some pretty heavy bleeding (I know some bleeding is normal, but there was quite a bit in the videos I saw), I'm not sure if rolling roughly is the right way to go or not.

- Can I continue to use Retin-A on the areas I have rolled? I've been using Retin-A for a while now and I keep reading mixed responses on using Retin-A in conjunction with a roller. Some say it can penetrate deeper and help scars more when used after needling and others say it's detrimental.

- Can I just clean the roller with hot water, a bit of soap, and soak it in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes afterward?

Any constructive help would be appreciated since I really want to get these questions answered before my roller arrives so I can use it properly and not cause further damage. Thanks. smile.png

http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf

I like this site

http://www.dermaroller.owndoc.com/

MemberMember
(@liquid_ocelot)

Posted : 10/21/2012 7:44 pm

A few bits of advice I can give you -

1. First of all I would use a dermastamp instead of a dermaroller. It's easier to use with less complications. Go on jglobalsales.com and put /wholesale after the url and you can get every product for half price.

2. I would use it every 4 weeks to be honest. I used to use a 1.5mm every 6 weeks but I found 8 weeks was even better. Better to undertreat than overtreat.

3. Couldn't tell you about retin-a, i've never used it. However I can tell you that you should keep your skin moisturizered after needling, it will speed up healing.

4. I don't know what your financial situation is like, but unless it's completely necessary please don't bother cleaning your needling device, just throw it away and buy a fresh one for next time. We're talking $15 every 2-4 weeks, it's not worth risking bent needles and infection.

Hope this helps.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/21/2012 7:58 pm

Thanks for the input, guys.

@ Liquid_Ocelet - I just ordered a roller for the time being since it seems to be easier to find a good one for cheap in comparison to the stamps. But I may consider a stamp in the near future, though.

As far as replacing the needling device goes, right now I'm in the process of waiting to hear back from a recent job interview since I'm currently not employed. But they should get back to me next week, and if the news is positive then replacing it would not be an issue. Otherwise, I'd have to hang on to it for a bit. But if I don't have to use it very often anyway then the infection risk shouldn't be quite as high as if I am using it routinely.

Thanks a lot for the input. I appreciate it. Any other responses are welcomed as well.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/25/2012 3:24 am

Bump. Still wanting to know how hard you guys use the roller on your skin. Gently? Roughly? Please let me know. I would also like to know how long you roll as well.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 10/25/2012 2:53 pm

Bump. Still wanting to know how hard you guys use the roller on your skin. Gently? Roughly? Please let me know. I would also like to know how long you roll as well.

I use medium pressure. It probably takes me about 30 mins to do my whole face. I use a .5mm roller and I use it at least once a week.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/25/2012 3:19 pm

I see. My roller came in the mail today. It's a 1.0 mm so I figure using it for about 10 minutes with medium pressure should be sufficient? It's primarily just on my cheeks that I'll be using it, not my entire face.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/31/2012 5:21 pm

Okay, so I've used my roller once so far. I definitely can notice a slight difference on my skin even after the first roll. Nothing extremely major, but I can see it potentially helping. But am I supposed to have some skin peeling after the needling? I figure this is a normal thing in the collagen restoration process, but I want to be sure.

MemberMember
(@rob_x_22)

Posted : 10/31/2012 7:31 pm

i never had any skin peeling i'm about 5 or 6 months in doing it monthly ...like the dermastamp ...i haven't seen great results yet but my skin was in horrible shape ...i'll keep doin it for awhile

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 11/01/2012 3:28 pm

Okay, so I've used my roller once so far. I definitely can notice a slight difference on my skin even after the first roll. Nothing extremely major, but I can see it potentially helping. But am I supposed to have some skin peeling after the needling? I figure this is a normal thing in the collagen restoration process, but I want to be sure.

Yes, my skin gets dry and a little flakey after rolling. It goes away in about three days

MemberMember

Posted : 11/01/2012 3:50 pm

Gotcha. Are you seeing any results with your rolling, a.p.?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 11/01/2012 7:40 pm

I'm not really seeing any results in my scars. Im using a .5mm roller so that is probably why. I am seeing results in my closed comedones and acne though! I don't get giant pimples much anymore and my closed comedones are shrinking. I want to try the stamp next but I will still purchase another .5 roller for better product absorption.

MemberMember

Posted : 11/02/2012 2:17 pm

I'm not really seeing any results in my scars. Im using a .5mm roller so that is probably why. I am seeing results in my closed comedones and acne though! I don't get giant pimples much anymore and my closed comedones are shrinking. I want to try the stamp next but I will still purchase another .5 roller for better product absorption.

Yeah, I was gonna get a 0.5 mm roller until I read that they aren't as effective on scars.

Also, I was pondering on using my 1.0 mm roller once a week for maybe a week or two in a row and then laying off for several weeks, but I don't want to do more harm than good, either. But I have pretty thick skin so that's why I was thinking of doing it this way.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 11/02/2012 4:16 pm

Yeah, I was gonna get a 0.5 mm roller until I read that they aren't as effective on scars.

Also, I was pondering on using my 1.0 mm roller once a week for maybe a week or two in a row and then laying off for several weeks, but I don't want to do more harm than good, either. But I have pretty thick skin so that's why I was thinking of doing it this way.

I've never used a roller longer than .5 so I can't say for sure using a 1.0 roller once a week is bad or good. Do you use numbing cream? Do you ever see any bleeding when you roll?

My eyes tear up when I use my 0.5 roller. That's with medium pressure too.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 11/02/2012 6:39 pm

I wouldn't use any dermaroller ONCE A WEEK omg.

MemberMember

Posted : 11/02/2012 8:33 pm

I've never used a roller longer than .5 so I can't say for sure using a 1.0 roller once a week is bad or good. Do you use numbing cream? Do you ever see any bleeding when you roll?

My eyes tear up when I use my 0.5 roller. That's with medium pressure too.

No bleeding. Just moderate redness for a bit and peeling over the next 2-3 days. I've taken a laser to the face for my scars in the past, so compared to that the needling is paradise. lol.gif

@ clambak3 - You'd be surprised. Some people use them MORE OFTEN than that with no problems. But like I said, it wouldn't be weekly on a long term basis, either. Just for about two weeks in a row and that's it. IF I were to go that route, that is. I'll probably end up just rolling every 3-4 weeks.

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 11/04/2012 6:01 pm

I did a ton of research before I dermarolled and everything I read says 1.5mm dermaroller is the minimum length because anything smaller will not go deep enough to stimulate collagen production. The smaller length needles like the size you purchased are used so that your topicals could penetrate better. You can roll everyday with smaller lenghts. If you are using a needle length of 1.5mm or longer, then you should roll once every 6 weeks or like someone on here said you can wait longer but never sooner because you need to give the collagen time to form. If you roll too soon, you'll just break up the collagen.

I have been rolling for almost 1 1/2 years and have actually been documenting my progress through a blog with photos (I've had to skip a few sessions due to cystic acne on the area that I roll. Don't roll the areas where you have active acne because it could spread bacteria). If you can, take photos so that you can see the changes. I had a ton...like over 20 small holes from cystic acne. they were on both sides of my lips. They were old scars and have filled in nicely. The only problem is the area is a little bumpy but I had the same problem last year when my skin started to repair itself so I got professional microdermabrasion done (my derm recommended it to smooth out the newly formed skin) and it made my skin look like a baby's bottom. Also, I spent a ton of money on micro and was doing it every 2 weeks for like 3 months or so and then continued after that once a month for a few months. So it takes time. Micro won't help raised scars...the area that was bumpy was more like rough skin so it got smoothed away. I I also had a bigger scar (not huge but bigger than the small little ones) and that filled in about 50% and there hasn't been much change since. I also have a line scar I got from poking at a cyst and it's in my smile line so it makes my smile line look longer :( I thought the scar had improved but it was a fluke ( I was looking at it from a different angle with different light so it wasn't as noticable) but it's still there. So, in other words, I don't think the dermaroller works on line scars or really big scars. Just little ones and it will improve mediumish ones...but that's just me. It may be different for you. Oh I also noticed that it's taking longer to work on the new scars. Seems to work better on older scars.

I, too, have read that Retin A (Tretinoin)could cause scarring while you roll but I've also heard people say it heals scars. I am too scared to try it. My son has some prescription Rentin A that he never used but like I said I am too scared to use it. I don't want to cause extra damage to my skin.

I can't really describe the pressure but roll hard enough to cause a little bit of pinprick bleeding. Don't freak if you hear popping noises when you roll. that's just scar tissue breaking up...

I always soak my roller in alcohol for about 30 minutes before and after I use it. I also will soak it half way through my wait time (since I wait 6 weeks to roll, I'll soak it at week 3). Better safe than sorry. I also wipe the areas I'm rolling with alcohol.

I use a Dr. Roller. I spent about $50 on it but it was the best I could find. At least, that's what I read from all my research. The needles are stronger and staggered so more skin gets pricked. I have not had to replace my roller yet ...always check your needles before you roll . Make sure they aren't bent because that could cause damage to your skin. Also, in order to prevent track marks on your face, lift the roller after each roll. So when you roll down, lift the roller before going up...hope that makes sense. Lifting the roller also helps with making sure you are not pricking the same spot over and over again. I roll 15 times in every direction.

I've been using retinal cream on my skin since I started rolling and that helps A LOT. I got my cream from Sally Beauty Supply for $10 and am very happy with it. It's called Skincare Cosmetics RETINOL (and has 400,000 I.U's of Vitamin A....whatever that means?) I use the day cream.

Oh and I don't think it's a good idea to use a dermroller on Hypertropic scars. The dermaroller stimulates collagen production so I am assuming that would make the scar get bigger. I'm not a professional so I don't know for sure but that's my guess. If it were me, I'd only use the roller on the pitted scars.

Sorry for the long post...just wanted to share what I've learned. Hope I helped.

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 11/04/2012 6:56 pm

Here's a picture of how your face should look after you roll

Here's before and after pics of my skin. I had a hard time recreating the lighting and haven't been able to duplicate it. Working on that but once I do I will post better pics. For now this is all I have. Either way, you can see how the larger hole is taking longer to fill in...but it has improved by 50%. the smaller ones closed (but now I have new ones thanks to Cystic acne)

1st pic was taken in May 2011 before I started rolling and then second one was taken August 2012

MemberMember

Posted : 11/05/2012 5:01 pm

I did a ton of research before I dermarolled and everything I read says 1.5mm dermaroller is the minimum length because anything smaller will not go deep enough to stimulate collagen production. The smaller length needles like the size you purchased are used so that your topicals could penetrate better. You can roll everyday with smaller lenghts. If you are using a needle length of 1.5mm or longer, then you should roll once every 6 weeks or like someone on here said you can wait longer but never sooner because you need to give the collagen time to form. If you roll too soon, you'll just break up the collagen.

I have been rolling for almost 1 1/2 years and have actually been documenting my progress through a blog with photos (I've had to skip a few sessions due to cystic acne on the area that I roll. Don't roll the areas where you have active acne because it could spread bacteria). If you can, take photos so that you can see the changes. I had a ton...like over 20 small holes from cystic acne. they were on both sides of my lips. They were old scars and have filled in nicely. The only problem is the area is a little bumpy but I had the same problem last year when my skin started to repair itself so I got professional microdermabrasion done (my derm recommended it to smooth out the newly formed skin) and it made my skin look like a baby's bottom. Also, I spent a ton of money on micro and was doing it every 2 weeks for like 3 months or so and then continued after that once a month for a few months. So it takes time. Micro won't help raised scars...the area that was bumpy was more like rough skin so it got smoothed away. I I also had a bigger scar (not huge but bigger than the small little ones) and that filled in about 50% and there hasn't been much change since. I also have a line scar I got from poking at a cyst and it's in my smile line so it makes my smile line look longer sad.png I thought the scar had improved but it was a fluke ( I was looking at it from a different angle with different light so it wasn't as noticable) but it's still there. So, in other words, I don't think the dermaroller works on line scars or really big scars. Just little ones and it will improve mediumish ones...but that's just me. It may be different for you. Oh I also noticed that it's taking longer to work on the new scars. Seems to work better on older scars.

I, too, have read that Retin A (Tretinoin)could cause scarring while you roll but I've also heard people say it heals scars. I am too scared to try it. My son has some prescription Rentin A that he never used but like I said I am too scared to use it. I don't want to cause extra damage to my skin.

I can't really describe the pressure but roll hard enough to cause a little bit of pinprick bleeding. Don't freak if you hear popping noises when you roll. that's just scar tissue breaking up...

I always soak my roller in alcohol for about 30 minutes before and after I use it. I also will soak it half way through my wait time (since I wait 6 weeks to roll, I'll soak it at week 3). Better safe than sorry. I also wipe the areas I'm rolling with alcohol.

I use a Dr. Roller. I spent about $50 on it but it was the best I could find. At least, that's what I read from all my research. The needles are stronger and staggered so more skin gets pricked. I have not had to replace my roller yet ...always check your needles before you roll . Make sure they aren't bent because that could cause damage to your skin. Also, in order to prevent track marks on your face, lift the roller after each roll. So when you roll down, lift the roller before going up...hope that makes sense. Lifting the roller also helps with making sure you are not pricking the same spot over and over again. I roll 15 times in every direction.

I've been using retinal cream on my skin since I started rolling and that helps A LOT. I got my cream from Sally Beauty Supply for $10 and am very happy with it. It's called Skincare Cosmetics RETINOL (and has 400,000 I.U's of Vitamin A....whatever that means?) I use the day cream.

Oh and I don't think it's a good idea to use a dermroller on Hypertropic scars. The dermaroller stimulates collagen production so I am assuming that would make the scar get bigger. I'm not a professional so I don't know for sure but that's my guess. If it were me, I'd only use the roller on the pitted scars.

Sorry for the long post...just wanted to share what I've learned. Hope I helped.

Very helpful post. Thanks a lot. I'll have to keep these tips in mind.

But I might have jumped the gun a bit when I said that my scars are hypertrophic. It's more like a mix of ice pick scarring, discoloration, skin texture issues, and a few scars that are pretty flush with my skin but have a jagged shape to them. It's hard to describe. They're definitely not ice picks, and they're not very raised off of my skin, either. When I touch them they feel fairly even with the good skin but you can feel that the texture of the skin is slightly different from the good skin, so hopefully rolling won't cause them to get worse.

But with hypertrophic scars and rolling I've read that as long as the scars are many months old then there's a lesser chance of making them worse by rolling over them, and the areas I'm rolling over have had these scars/marks for way longer than that, so hopefully it'll be okay.

Retin-A isn't too scary as long as you use it wisely, though. If you do more than a pea sized drop than you're running a risk of making things worse. But other than that it hasn't been too bad for me and I've used it for quite a while now.

MemberMember

Posted : 11/14/2012 3:07 pm

Can anyone else confirm that needling is no good for hypertrophic scars, though? Like I said before, I'm pretty sure my scars wouldn't be considered hypertrophic, but I want to be certain that needling is no good for those types of scars just to be on the safe side.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/14/2012 3:51 pm

I would think, in theory, needling builds collagen, and in the case of raised scars, you want to be doing the opposite.

MemberMember
(@hopeful503)

Posted : 09/30/2013 2:41 pm

Help! used the 1.5 mm dermaroller on saturday morning. I didn't apply any topicals after because I was afraid I'd breakout. I've just kept it clean and moisturized. Today is Monday morning and my skin feels rough and bumpy. Is that normal even after 2 days? There is definitely a textural change between the treated areas and untreated areas. I'm already sensitive about my skin texture and I'm worried I've made it worse. Is this temporary? Is it microswelling? Any advice is greatly appreciated!