Notifications
Clear all

Easy Healthy Sources Of Fat

MemberMember
(@greatsite18)

Posted : 10/21/2012 12:10 pm

Hi

Im searching for easy healthy sources of fat. In my new diet I only eat fat from meat, fish, almond and egg; so obviously I need more.

Do you have much experience with olives? What about nuts; besides hazelnut whats good? What are your recommendations for easy healthy sources of fat?

MemberMember
(@verdnase)

Posted : 10/21/2012 1:40 pm

Here is where i get my fat from:

Whole toasted hemp seeds

Flaxseeds(milled)

Olives and extra virgin olive oil

Brazil nuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, whole soy foods e.g. soy nuts(roasted soybeans)

Herring, sardines, kippered herring, mackerel, sablefish, wild alaskan salmon

Whole eggs

Full fat natural greek yogurt and some natural medium cheddar cheese

Avocados

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/21/2012 2:17 pm

Hi

Im searching for easy healthy sources of fat. In my new diet I only eat fat from meat, fish, almond and egg; so obviously I need more.

Do you have much experience with olives? What about nuts; besides hazelnut whats good? What are your recommendations for easy healthy sources of fat?

Nuts, Udos oil, olive oil, flaxseeds, avocado to name a few.

MemberMember
(@greatsite18)

Posted : 10/21/2012 5:09 pm

You both mention flaxseeds, Im in the UK also, what kind of places can I find them? Checked on Tesco.com and nothing. I'll have to try Avocado again.

Here is where i get my fat from:

Whole toasted hemp seeds

Flaxseeds(milled)

Olives and extra virgin olive oil

Brazil nuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, whole soy foods e.g. soy nuts(roasted soybeans)

Herring, sardines, kippered herring, mackerel, sablefish, wild alaskan salmon

Whole eggs

Full fat natural greek yogurt and some natural medium cheddar cheese

Avocados

Verdnase specifically what kind of olives do you get? Tomorrow I will buy my first bottle so Im easily influenced.. Also I notice you have a lot of informative posts, will you share a little background? Like why are you writing here?

Anyway thanks to both and I'll check back on this topic. Im skeptical about dairy and oils for now, but I'll check out the easy stuff. Any more easy additions are also welcome.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/23/2012 8:00 am

Virgin Coconut Oil

(plus others previously mentioned)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/23/2012 8:02 am

Hi

I'm not sure why you need more than what you are getting from your food assuming you are eating the whole egg and not eating only the lowest fat cuts of meat and fish. But sure, you can have olives, other nuts and seeds, drizzle olive or coconut oil on your veggies (which you should do whenever you have them without another source of fat), eat avocados, etc.

MemberMember
(@greatsite18)

Posted : 10/23/2012 10:44 am

Guys I appreciate the coconut suggestion, but I should repeat that Im very skeptical of oils. Oil and acne are related, so until Im clear for a while Im not confident enough to try coconut, esp since its a minority delicacy here.

Avocado at lunch today was nice. Really bland tasting, but interesting to eat and unlike anything I can think of. Later I found half price unripened avocados for sale and Im concerned that their price may represent quality; but theres only one way to find out. I think avocado might go well with lime juice on a cracker tomorrow.

Olives are a mystery to me still; I had them as an appetiser yesterday and theyre quite difficult to eat, so Im only going to get a few grams of fat per snack. Nonetheless I felt good after eating olive and the meal after it was delicious.

Hazelnuts seem to be the easiest out of all the nuts/seeds yovue listed; they have nutrients Im lacking, theyre popular, and they add another family of food to my diet. In a similar vein Im actually considering peanuts again. Ive never had real issue with peanuts, and while Ive read a lot of bad about them here, their nutritional content+availability this time of year makes them almost too tempting. I'll keep this updated and I welcome more additions!

Hi

I'm not sure why you need more than what you are getting from your food assuming you are eating the whole egg and not eating only the lowest fat cuts of meat and fish. But sure, you can have olives, other nuts and seeds, drizzle olive or coconut oil on your veggies (which you should do whenever you have them without another source of fat), eat avocados, etc.

Egg with salad beats oil, and the avocado will certainly help. However I dont like to overdo one food type, Im a midday nibbler, and I see meat/fish as all the same. Maybe if meat was easier to keep I'd eat more - I welcome suggestions on easy meat snacks. Anyway I usually only have one portion of meat/fish a day. I was vegetarian by principle 5-11, more or less defacto 11-17, and now more normal.

Thanks keep those suggestions coming