Notifications
Clear all

I Give Up

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/20/2012 12:54 pm

I've been trying to heal my acne with nutrition, exercise, vitamins, etc. for months. I've tried it all and I've been doing EVERYTHING right, and this morning out of nowhere I woke up with the worst breakout yet. I can't do this anymore. I'm going back on birth control as soon as I can get it. I'll deal with the mood swings or take another medication to control them. I just can't live like this anymore.

MemberMember
(@abybar)

Posted : 10/20/2012 2:10 pm

I've been trying to heal my acne with nutrition, exercise, vitamins, etc. for months. I've tried it all and I've been doing EVERYTHING right, and this morning out of nowhere I woke up with the worst breakout yet. I can't do this anymore. I'm going back on birth control as soon as I can get it. I'll deal with the mood swings or take another medication to control them. I just can't live like this anymore.

I understand what you mean but BC will only last while your on it and chances are it might return once you stop BC. Thats one of the reasons i refuse to be on bc. Healthy food consumption only plays a small part in curing acne. You have to have a strong regimen as well to defeat the internal and external problem. But if you feel Birth control pills is your only solution then go for it. With health diets you should give it at least 6 months to see improvements and even up to a year as well.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 10/20/2012 2:12 pm

Please don't or rather think about it thoroughly before going ahead with it. Honestly, I am in the EXACT same boat as you, and the past couple of days I have broke out, I feel like utter crap right now they are on my upper lip just under my nose and at the corners of my mouth...I need to work in a food factory and wear a hair net so everyone I work with sees my FULL face, I cannot hide anything with my hair/fringe...ugh, I don't want to think what they think of me. But then again a part of me wants to STOP thinking what others think.

I don't have many people to talk to about it, but thankfully the one person I can talk to is truly an amazing friend and she is very encouraging. Honestly, today I thought "fuck it Im going to the doctors on Monday and getting anti-biotics" - but then quickly I thought about bacterial resistance and all that and how perhaps in most cases the acne may come back after the treatment of anti-biotics...with a vengance and tbh I don't really want it to get any worse than this. Try to thing more of the negatives of the pill and know that you can heal yourself, think how truly amazing it would feel to know you healed yourself, especially after these feelings of quitting and wanting to give up...you found the strength to keep going.

What I have been trying is to remind myself that things will get better...they will. It might not be by the end of this year but my skin is GOING to clear up and yours is too. Its is, it truly is.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/20/2012 2:24 pm

I understand what you mean but BC will only last while your on it and chances are it might return once you stop BC. Thats one of the reasons i refuse to be on bc. Healthy food consumption only plays a small part in curing acne. You have to have a strong regimen as well to defeat the internal and external problem. But if you feel Birth control pills is your only solution then go for it. With health diets you should give it at least 6 months to see improvements and even up to a year as well.

I've done EVERYTHING right. I've had a "strong regimen" and the healthiest diet possible and exercise and EVERYTHING. I know that it will only last as long as I'm on the pill. I've been dealing with this on and off for 15 years. NOTHING else works.

Please don't or rather think about it thoroughly before going ahead with it. Honestly, I am in the EXACT same boat as you, and the past couple of days I have broke out, I feel like utter crap right now they are on my upper lip just under my nose and at the corners of my mouth...I need to work in a food factory and wear a hair net so everyone I work with sees my FULL face, I cannot hide anything with my hair/fringe...ugh, I don't want to think what they think of me. But then again a part of me wants to STOP thinking what others think.

I don't have many people to talk to about it, but thankfully the one person I can talk to is truly an amazing friend and she is very encouraging. Honestly, today I thought "fuck it Im going to the doctors on Monday and getting anti-biotics" - but then quickly I thought about bacterial resistance and all that and how perhaps in most cases the acne may come back after the treatment of anti-biotics...with a vengance and tbh I don't really want it to get any worse than this. Try to thing more of the negatives of the pill and know that you can heal yourself, think how truly amazing it would feel to know you healed yourself, especially after these feelings of quitting and wanting to give up...you found the strength to keep going.

What I have been trying is to remind myself that things will get better...they will. It might not be by the end of this year but my skin is GOING to clear up and yours is too. Its is, it truly is.

I don't want to be discouraging if you are still committed to healing naturally, but I just don't believe it works for everyone. I am 100% convinced at this point that my hormones are the problem and they cannot be fixed with diet and exercise, because I've done everything. Even if I wanted to keep trying, there is literally not a single thing left that I could possibly try to fix this, and I am not going to live my life like this anymore. If you could see my face you'd understand. I'm frighteningly close to trying to kill myself. Birth control seems pretty safe compared to that alternative.

MemberMember
(@abybar)

Posted : 10/20/2012 2:44 pm

I've done EVERYTHING right. I've had a "strong regimen" and the healthiest diet possible and exercise and EVERYTHING. I know that it will only last as long as I'm on the pill. I've been dealing with this on and off for 15 years. NOTHING else works.

I don't want to be discouraging if you are still committed to healing naturally, but I just don't believe it works for everyone. I am 100% convinced at this point that my hormones are the problem and they cannot be fixed with diet and exercise, because I've done everything. Even if I wanted to keep trying, there is literally not a single thing left that I could possibly try to fix this, and I am not going to live my life like this anymore. If you could see my face you'd understand. I'm frighteningly close to trying to kill myself. Birth control seems pretty safe compared to that alternative.

My acne is hormonal as well and ive dealt with since i was 12 and im now 22. Its a terrible cycle. Especially around my menstrual. Eventually will grow out of it. Have you tried saw palmetto? it is suppose to help with hormonal acne. It didnt help me but it could help you. Acne is so frustrating but dont give up. have faith in your diet and regimen. Things dont work overnight and it could take up to over a year to see results. You may possibly be allergic to certain foods too.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/20/2012 2:46 pm

My acne is hormonal as well and ive dealt with since i was 12 and im now 22. Its a terrible cycle. Especially around my menstrual. Eventually will grow out of it. Have you tried saw palmetto? it is suppose to help with hormonal acne. It didnt help me but it could help you. Acne is so frustrating but dont give up. have faith in your diet and regimen. Things dont work overnight and it could take up to over a year to see results. You may possibly be allergic to certain foods too.

I'm not dealing with this for another year or more. Lots of people don't ever grow out of it. I'm going back on birth control.

MemberMember
(@fullofgrace)

Posted : 10/20/2012 4:53 pm

dont give up! have you tried argan oil? this is what i used and it cleared my moderate acne in less than a week! i use it day and night after i cleanse my face and it keeps me clear and diminishes any new spot i get.. its natural so there is no irritation worries. I got mine from here: http://www.fushi.co.uk/face-care/oils/argan-oil-organic.html

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@jabberwocky80)

Posted : 10/20/2012 8:31 pm

What birth control are you using? I've been on Ortho-Lo for years and never really felt it helped or hurt my acne. I've actually thought about getting off of it considering my husband has had a vasectomy and -- more importantly -- I currently don't have insurance and I'm tired of paying out of pocket.

As far as your diet...are you consuming any dairy? I cut out milk from my diet and felt I saw an improvement. I drank skim milk for years. In the last year or so I've really gotten into researching animal rights, what's in our food, etc...I decided organic skim might be better for me and the planet...well, it might be somewhat better for the planet, but not for me! I've come to the conclusion that milk causes aggravates my acne. I still eat cheese and have the occasional bit of ice cream, but no milk whatsoever.

MemberMember
(@tony1990)

Posted : 10/21/2012 12:05 am

Have you been stressing out alot?

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 10/21/2012 1:23 am

A lot of people always claim they're eating a "healthy" diet, when in most cases they're still eating food that isn't healthy at all. Maybe if you had a more detailed post: your diet, supplementation, etc, we could offer better advice.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/21/2012 9:25 pm

What birth control are you using? I've been on Ortho-Lo for years and never really felt it helped or hurt my acne. I've actually thought about getting off of it considering my husband has had a vasectomy and -- more importantly -- I currently don't have insurance and I'm tired of paying out of pocket.

As far as your diet...are you consuming any dairy? I cut out milk from my diet and felt I saw an improvement. I drank skim milk for years. In the last year or so I've really gotten into researching animal rights, what's in our food, etc...I decided organic skim might be better for me and the planet...well, it might be somewhat better for the planet, but not for me! I've come to the conclusion that milk causes aggravates my acne. I still eat cheese and have the occasional bit of ice cream, but no milk whatsoever.

I've been on several different brands of birth control, most recently I was on Nuvaring for a few years. Nuvaring and Yaz seemed to work the best for me. Diet-wise, I've tried everything. Cutting out dairy, cutting out grains, you name it, I've probably tried it. I don't consume much dairy to begin with, but I noticed absolutely no difference when I cut it out for several months.

A lot of people always claim they're eating a "healthy" diet, when in most cases they're still eating food that isn't healthy at all. Maybe if you had a more detailed post: your diet, supplementation, etc, we could offer better advice.

Thanks for the input but I know what I'm talking about when it comes to what's healthy and what's not. I've also tried just about everything when it comes to diet, including the strictest diet of no grains, no dairy, no sugar (not even fruit), and my skin was exactly as bad then as it was when I was eating like shit. No matter what I eat or don't eat, my skin still sucks. I still don't consume any refined sugars whatsoever or any gluten or corn. My diet is low-glycemic and consists almost entirely of fresh vegetables, plus some fruit, coconut oil and full-fat organic yogurt. I also make fresh vegetable juice every morning. I am 100% convinced that my hormones are the problem, which explains why no matter how well I eat and take care of my skin and body, nothing helps, because none of those things can fix my hormones.

Have you been stressing out alot?

Yes. I'm unemployed, can't find a job, have no purpose in life, no health insurance and I look like a mutant because of my skin. So, yes, I'm stressed.

dont give up! have you tried argan oil? this is what i used and it cleared my moderate acne in less than a week! i use it day and night after i cleanse my face and it keeps me clear and diminishes any new spot i get.. its natural so there is no irritation worries. I got mine from here: http://www.fushi.co....il-organic.html

Good luck!

Thanks but my acne is SEVERE and nothing I put on my skin works because my hormones are the problem.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/21/2012 10:25 pm

im not sure why everyone is fighting you on the birth control thing. if it works, take it.

ive been on bc for 15 years now and for me it doesnt help my hormonal acne much (which just came back 2 years ago) so im taking saw palmetto now and removed gluten and dairy 6 days a week.

if you are thinking about suicide maybe there is someone you can talk to about it? you have a purpose in life. most definitely.

is accutane an option? spironolactone? ive read lots about saw palmetto, evening primrose oil, estrosense, progesterone creams- all helping in balancing hormones.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/22/2012 1:03 pm

im not sure why everyone is fighting you on the birth control thing. if it works, take it.

ive been on bc for 15 years now and for me it doesnt help my hormonal acne much (which just came back 2 years ago) so im taking saw palmetto now and removed gluten and dairy 6 days a week.

if you are thinking about suicide maybe there is someone you can talk to about it? you have a purpose in life. most definitely.

is accutane an option? spironolactone? ive read lots about saw palmetto, evening primrose oil, estrosense, progesterone creams- all helping in balancing hormones.

Thanks for being understanding. To be honest I'm disappointed that I have to go back on birth control too because it does have lots of undesirable side effects, and being on it for over ten years already might be why my hormones are so screwed up as it is, but I'm at the end of my rope here.

I have talked to some people about the emotional stuff I'm going through because of my skin. I only mentioned that to emphasize that going back on birth control is not a decision I'm taking lightly, but that the stakes are very high and I'm at the point of desperation, so doing something that works is more important to me right now than not putting certain things in my body. I've already been on Accutane once, about 15 years ago, and I would never ever do it again for several reasons, the main one being that it simply didn't work and I don't believe it will work if I go on it for a second time. I'd love to try spiro at this point but I don't have health insurance, so it's easier and cheaper for me to get birth control (from somewhere like Planned Parenthood, most likely) than it would be for me to see any other doctor for a prescription like spiro. I'll look into saw palmetto and evening primrose oil, too. Thanks for the input.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/22/2012 1:18 pm

If you really do not want to go back on birth control again consider giving Dan's regimen a try. We have so many adult female customers who do very well on it. Seriously. If you haven't tried it you really don't have anything to lose but quite possibly your acne. Here are the details. http://www.acne.org/regimen

Here are the success stories. http://www.acne.org/success.php You'll notice a lot are from women. It works well but you gotta follow it strictly and keep on it for maintenance once your skin clears.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/22/2012 4:44 pm

If you really do not want to go back on birth control again consider giving Dan's regimen a try. We have so many adult female customers who do very well on it. Seriously. If you haven't tried it you really don't have anything to lose but quite possibly your acne. Here are the details. http://www.acne.org/regimen

Here are the success stories. http://www.acne.org/success.php You'll notice a lot are from women. It works well but you gotta follow it strictly and keep on it for maintenance once your skin clears.

Thanks, I'd definitely consider it. I'm skeptical it will work for me because I've been on every Benzoyl Peroxide product under the sun and it never seemed to help, but I've admittedly never used excessive amounts of BP like the regimen suggests, so I'm considering it. Mostly trying at this point to figure out how to minimize the effect of the BP on all my clothes/sheets/pillowcases, as the bleaching has destroyed so many of my belongings in the past!

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/22/2012 8:44 pm

lots of people mention this bleaching, im doing the regimen and nothing i have had been destroyed or anything like that

MemberMember
(@andy-pack)

Posted : 10/22/2012 8:54 pm

Mammasay- How are or were you on the regimen, and if so how long and why are you giving up?

MemberMember
(@jklarson)

Posted : 10/24/2012 3:22 am

One advice, don't give. every problem has a solution, acne is not that difficult to treat unlike other diseases like cancer. There are still many things you could consider, natural methods are very common in treating acnes, though we could also consider having some minor surgery for it for a faster solution.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/24/2012 8:09 am

Thanks, I'd definitely consider it. I'm skeptical it will work for me because I've been on every Benzoyl Peroxide product under the sun and it never seemed to help, but I've admittedly never used excessive amounts of BP like the regimen suggests, so I'm considering it. Mostly trying at this point to figure out how to minimize the effect of the BP on all my clothes/sheets/pillowcases, as the bleaching has destroyed so many of my belongings in the past!

We have some tips here: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#prevent-bleach

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/24/2012 9:42 am

lots of people mention this bleaching, im doing the regimen and nothing i have had been destroyed or anything like that

Weird. I was on benzoyl peroxide products for years and they ruined everything I wore to bed and all my bedding.

Mammasay- How are or were you on the regimen, and if so how long and why are you giving up?

Do you mean Dan's regimen? If so, I've never tried it. I was on benzoyl peroxide products for years and they did nothing for me. I know it works for lots of people, but I am taking excellent care of my skin and it's not helping. I believe my problem is hormonal and therefore won't improve without a hormonal cure. If you're talking about the regimen I'm currently on, I've been doing some variation of it (I went from an extremely restrictive diet to an only semi-restrictive diet because I wasn't noticing any improvement after three+ months and I don't eat meat so it was even more difficult to stick to a limited diet) for over 6 months. I know they say it can take up to a year on any plan to see results, but I don't have a year. I'm giving up because I would rather have clear skin and compromise about what I'm putting in my body than be depressed and suicidal and never wanting to leave the house and missing lots of social events because of my skin.

One advice, don't give. every problem has a solution, acne is not that difficult to treat unlike other diseases like cancer. There are still many things you could consider, natural methods are very common in treating acnes, though we could also consider having some minor surgery for it for a faster solution.

If acne were so easy to treat, why does this forum exist and why are there thousands of people on here suffering because of it? I have been dealing with this on and off for over 15 years. I have LITERALLY tried everything and nothing works except birth control. That is what I am going to do. End of story.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 10/27/2012 12:42 am

I've also just started taking Diane-35. Have basically exhausted the natural diet way, nothing worked for me. Luckily I have a low dose of accutane to slowly ease into taking the pill, worried about an IB. Anyway, I'm also not happy for going on the pill, but what else is there if nothing works.

Yaz made my hair fall out like crazy the last time, hopefully Diane-35 will not do the same. And I can probably expect my melasma to get worse, and suffer extreme constant hunger, the joys of BCP.