Notifications
Clear all

I'm Sick... Really? Your're Kidding Me.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/20/2012 11:17 am

so for like the past 2 months I've been eating super healthy. I've been taking all kinds of vitamins--everything you can think of vitamin A b C D E Omega 3 zinc magnesium Calcium.. I can't even think of everything. Now all the sudden I find myself with a bad cold. I don't understand this. I thought all these types of foods and vitamins would prevent people from getting sick.. What gives??

MemberMember
(@verdnase)

Posted : 10/20/2012 12:33 pm

so for like the past 2 months I've been eating super healthy. I've been taking all kinds of vitamins--everything you can think of vitamin A b C D E Omega 3 zinc magnesium Calcium.. I can't even think of everything. Now all the sudden I find myself with a bad cold. I don't understand this. I thought all these types of foods and vitamins would prevent people from getting sick.. What gives??

You can be the most healthiest person in the world and could still get a cold. However, it does help to have a strong immune system, not everyone has that.

Vitamin D is best to prevent a cold and flu as it strengthens the immune system. The reason why most people get sick in the winter is because there is hardly any sun and levels of D are usually very low.

What dosage are you taking?

I personally take 2,000 IU of D3 day and i take this all year round, even in the summer, but here in the UK we don't get a lot of sun.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/20/2012 2:32 pm

I always thought I had a strong immune system. But I'm questioning that now.

I take 5,000 IU of D3, I've been taking that dosage for close to 2 months.

Something has lowered my defenses- I'm just trying to figure out what it is.

MemberMember
(@verdnase)

Posted : 10/20/2012 3:05 pm

It depends how deficient you were before supplementing vitamin D, as most people are very deficient and don't even know it. It can take a while before you reach optimal levels in the blood, 2 months might not be enough time. I've been supplementing D3 for a year and half now, but i felt the difference after 2-3 months.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/20/2012 3:39 pm

Sleep habits, stress, gut flora...?

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 10/20/2012 3:43 pm

maybe lack of sleep? i NEVER get sick, but i felt a tickle in the back of my throat today, and ive been staying up late every night for like the past two months because of college apps and my dragon lady ap bio teacher

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/20/2012 4:36 pm

It depends how deficient you were before supplementing vitamin D, as most people are very deficient and don't even know it. It can take a while before you reach optimal levels in the blood, 2 months might not be enough time. I've been supplementing D3 for a year and half now, but i felt the difference after 2-3 months.

I shouldn't have been too deficient... before I started supplementing I had been to the beach for over a week- and before that I had a pretty decent tan from swimming already. But who knows.

Sleep habits, stress, gut flora...?

Sleep hasn't been great.. I think I have borderline insomnia-- takes me 3+ hours after hitting the pillow to unwind and fall asleep.

I'm not too terribly stressed- i'm actually unemployed at the moment but with a new job possibly starting next week- that might be weighing me down idk.

Gut flora.. don't know much about that.

maybe lack of sleep? i NEVER get sick, but i felt a tickle in the back of my throat today, and ive been staying up late every night for like the past two months because of college apps and my dragon lady ap bio teacher

That's how it started for me, a slightly ticklish sore throat.. and it's just progressed for the worse- sneezing, chills, sore throat, eyes hurt, body aches.. okay this kinda sounds more like the flu but I really think it's just a cold.

MemberMember
(@verdnase)

Posted : 10/20/2012 5:51 pm

I shouldn't have been too deficient... before I started supplementing I had been to the beach for over a week- and before that I had a pretty decent tan from swimming already. But who knows.

There is many reasons you could have caught the cold or flu, but even if you have optimal D levels, have the perfect diet and eat lots of fruit and veg, get plenty of omega 3, and get enough sleep, there is no guarantee you can avoid the cold or flu.

Since you have the cold now, instead of thinking about how you got it, think about how to get rid of it. Here is the 3 best ways of getting rid of a cold naturally:

Drink 2-4 cups a day of ginger tea, as well as eating the ginger. Chop some ginger into small pieces, put them in a cup and pour boiling water over them. The ginger will stay at the bottom. Drink and enjoy!

Take 2 raw garlic cloves a day, 1 in the morning with breakfast and 1 at night with dinner.

Chili peppers will help with blocked sinuses. Eat more chili recipes or simply add them to your food.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 10/20/2012 7:10 pm

Like the others have mentioned, eating the healthiest diet and having all the right vitamins/minerals won't stop you from getting a cold or getting sick. Just not how infections work. But I'd guess that because you have been eating a good diet, you wouldn't get as sick or be as sick for as long as a person who had a poor diet.

Anyway - feel better soon :)

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 10/20/2012 7:25 pm

That's how it started for me, a slightly ticklish sore throat.. and it's just progressed for the worse- sneezing, chills, sore throat, eyes hurt, body aches.. okay this kinda sounds more like the flu but I really think it's just a cold.

yeah i kind of had a headache and felt kind of hot, but i was doing volunteer stuff so that might have been why lol. we need more sleep T_T

for the vitamin D thing... im on a swim team so i get like waaaay too much sun exposure but my psychiatrist said i was vitamin D deficient and needed to take supplements if i was going to go on meds for adhd.... which really suprised me hah i tan like a potato but dont get any vitamin D out of it

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/20/2012 9:03 pm

i appreciate all of your comments and support guys!

wow ilovemesomevanity, that's surprising to hear.. so I guess sun exposure doesn't always equal vitamin D.

Thanks for the cold remedies Verdnase! I'm sure I'll try some of that.

And Lilly75 I'll get better asap :)

Thanks again!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/21/2012 9:36 am

Everyone can get sick. I was eating super healthy and taking my vitamin D for over a year and a half and I got a bad flu last spring. It really, really got me run down and then I had a whole bunch of other complications from it because I kept worrying about calling in sick to work and trying to go in and work instead of resting. It ended up spreading to a bad sinus infection and bronchitis because I didn't rest and I was run down for over two months. Be sure to rest! And screw your job! Call in.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/21/2012 2:20 pm

Are you eating the right source of macro nutrients? What proteins fats and carbs are you eating? Are your drinking enough water? Getting enough sleep?

In any case you can still get a cold.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/21/2012 4:51 pm

Everyone can get sick. I was eating super healthy and taking my vitamin D for over a year and a half and I got a bad flu last spring. It really, really got me run down and then I had a whole bunch of other complications from it because I kept worrying about calling in sick to work and trying to go in and work instead of resting. It ended up spreading to a bad sinus infection and bronchitis because I didn't rest and I was run down for over two months. Be sure to rest! And screw your job! Call in.

that's just crazy to me- especially while eating healthy, taking vitamins.. I mean that's what doctors and medical advisers everywhere claim is the best way to treat colds and the flu. And by that I mean prevention. I this point I'm blaming my stress levels. I'm sure it had something to do with lowering my defense.

Are you eating the right source of macro nutrients? What proteins fats and carbs are you eating? Are your drinking enough water? Getting enough sleep?

In any case you can still get a cold.

I eat fresh veggies (everything you can think of) and mostly chicken for my protein. But I supplement with Omega 3's as to not offshoot anything too much. No, I'm probably not drinking enough water.. and the sleep could def use some work.

I've just heard of people who literally NEVER get sick. And I find that for most of them it's their diet.

I realized this wasn't really an "acne" question. But it's semi related considering I started taking all these vitamins and eating healthy because of acne...

To HEALTH!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/22/2012 10:16 am

I don't really know if it's diet. Some people just have this amazing natural immunity, and often times I've found those people are not even particularly healthy in general. I've had friends I've known for years who are overweight, live on fast food and soda, smoke cigarettes and never get sick. Like, ever. It's seriously unfair, but such is life.

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 10/22/2012 10:29 am

Sleep and attention to gut health have been the two most important things for me. I used to get sick an average amount, but since I started drinking kefir 3 years ago and paying close attention to how much sleep I get, I've been sick maybe twice.

As far as your insomnia goes, how much sunlight exposure do you get on your eyes? The more sunlight you can get, the better, because it helps keep your circadian rhythm attuned to nature. Turning the TV and computer off an hour or so before bed (or at least using f.lux) will help your body ease into the state it needs to be in to fall asleep.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 10/22/2012 1:13 pm

I don't really know if it's diet. Some people just have this amazing natural immunity, and often times I've found those people are not even particularly healthy in general. I've had friends I've known for years who are overweight, live on fast food and soda, smoke cigarettes and never get sick. Like, ever. It's seriously unfair, but such is life.

Yep.

I have celiac, possibly crohns - they don't know, GI doc on the 2nd - and raging allergies, but I NEVER get a cold. People around me will get the flu, be incapacitated for a week or more, I'll have a sore throat for 6 hours. I'm the healthiest sick person I know.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/22/2012 1:55 pm

you end up peeing out the majority of these vitamins as well. i believe my derm and dr both told me that you end up absorbing maybe 5-9% of what you injest and thats why it is SO crucial that you get these vitamins from real foods.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/22/2012 2:20 pm

to those people: it'll probably catch up to them in another form.. and probably a much worse form :(

Sleep and attention to gut health have been the two most important things for me. I used to get sick an average amount, but since I started drinking kefir 3 years ago and paying close attention to how much sleep I get, I've been sick maybe twice.

As far as your insomnia goes, how much sunlight exposure do you get on your eyes? The more sunlight you can get, the better, because it helps keep your circadian rhythm attuned to nature. Turning the TV and computer off an hour or so before bed (or at least using f.lux) will help your body ease into the state it needs to be in to fall asleep.

I'm in a bad habbit of watching netflix before bed.. like laying in my bed watching netflix lol so I'm sure that has something to do with it.. and I'm not getting much sun exposure these days.. weather is starting to get cooler so I don't go outside much ...

you end up peeing out the majority of these vitamins as well. i believe my derm and dr both told me that you end up absorbing maybe 5-9% of what you injest and thats why it is SO crucial that you get these vitamins from real foods.

... disappointing to hear :( makes me wonder really how much money I'm throwing away on vitamins..

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/22/2012 2:28 pm

yep. i cut out all dairy and took supplements but my dr explained to me that bodies arent absorbing much supplements and that it was critical for me, as a woman, to get calcium. he suggested just eating a small amount of cheese only (since im avoiding dairy) but acne is superficial (pains me to say that lol) and bones are critical to life- so ... i mean i get what he's saying but, its tough.

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 10/22/2012 2:33 pm

yep. i cut out all dairy and took supplements but my dr explained to me that bodies arent absorbing much supplements and that it was critical for me, as a woman, to get calcium. he suggested just eating a small amount of cheese only (since im avoiding dairy) but acne is superficial (pains me to say that lol) and bones are critical to life- so ... i mean i get what he's saying but, its tough.

Women are at a greater risk for osteoporosis, yes. Vitamin D and magnesium are just as crucially important in bone formation and density as calcium, though. Don't overlook them!

There's also plenty of calcium in a wide variety of plants: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=45

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/22/2012 2:37 pm

totally agree. however the amount of calcium in a 1cm (tiny) block of cheese is very very high compared to the amount of greens you would need to eat. I do eat lots of dark veggies for sure!

i get lots of vitamin d (helps with anxiety)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/22/2012 2:49 pm

I never get sick. But that was true before I improved my diet. I've always slept well and never been prone to stress though. And I have pale skin and live in the south somprobablynalways got my vitamin d.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 10/22/2012 4:51 pm

totally agree. however the amount of calcium in a 1cm (tiny) block of cheese is very very high compared to the amount of greens you would need to eat. I do eat lots of dark veggies for sure!

i get lots of vitamin d (helps with anxiety)

eat bones. Salmon with the bones, sardines with the bones. Make soup with meat on the bone, add a bit of vinegar to help leach the calcium into the broth. Dairy is so unnecessary.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/22/2012 8:42 pm

thanks. i already eat sardines. i know small fish are better.

sometimes i just want some cheese, high quality, local artisan cheese. not the end of the world.

i seem to have a threshhold (that im trying to figure out) where i can eat a certain amount of dairy, sugar, gluten and be okay (small amounts) and if i go overboard then i get the nodules/cysts...

its all a learning process.

also i used to be a heavy marijuana smoker and weed is an anti-inflammatory so my dr thinks that might of actually been helping my acne inflammation stay down, i stopped cold turkey 2 years ago (for a medical reason) and oddly enough thats when my nodules/cysts began.