Notifications
Clear all

Let's Do This, Accutane!

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 10/18/2012 2:33 pm

Hi guys!!

Oh my goodness y'all I am so excited I don't know where to start. I've had acne and been seeing a dermatologist since I was 12. It used to be tolerable, just small spots. But now I get deep cysts and nodules and it's just not pretty. I'm a senior in high school and my confidence is shot. I can't stand going anywhere. This acne needs to die. Basically my derm sucked and just prescribed me the same dumb things over and over again even though they didn't do shiz. I took Solodyn for like 5 years now pretty much, and was on Ziana, Duac, Aczone, Tazorac, Clindamycin, and literally every face wash you could imagine. Ya know, the works. wink.png but I recently switched dermatologists, thank the lord, and she precribed me Accutane! hollaaa! I am just beyond stoked. My pharmacy should have my prescription in by tomorrow! But I just plan on logging my experience as a form of venting. So I dunno if anyone will read this, but hi! I'm Jenna.

Okay so a few quick questions to all you fellow Accutaners!

What face wash do you recommend? I used to use Cetaphil back in the day and I didn't like it too much. But that seems to be the hype? I just need something to get my makeup off at night mostly.

And what about moisturizer? I'm horrified of dry skin. It makes makeup a nightmare. I already kind of have dry skin because of the topicals was using. So I know it's a given and I'll get flakes no matter what, but what has helped you guys?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 10/19/2012 7:12 pm

Day 1!

So I took my first pill yesterday and obviously nothing has changed yet. I'm taking 40 MG once a day, but my derm said my dose will be increased after the month. My face feels a ton oilier today since I stopped using all my topicals a few days ago, so I'm looking grosser than usual. I have a lot of whiteheads on my forehead, in between my eyes, and chin from lack of topicals, but those don't bother me thaaat much. I have about 4 deeper "under the skin" spots along my jawbone and cheekbones. My acne is really at it's best right now compared to usual. Hopefully I won't get to horrible of an initial break out! I don't want to jinx myself by saying this, but I'm anxious for side effects to start kicking in. Flakes would actually be welcomed right now! So hopefully I'll notice some changes within the next week or so. I took it with dinner the today and yesterday, but I was wondering if there's a preferred time to take them? Morning, night, with food, without food, at the same time everyday? Anyways. Obviously not much to say yet, but when something happens I'll post again! :)

MemberMember
(@waseem-abbas)

Posted : 10/20/2012 3:17 am

Great... Welcome to the journey of accutane and good luck with your course. I had exactly the same kind of acne the day i started accutane. tons of whiteheads on forhead, chin and upper lips. Had quite a few deep cysts on jawbone and cheekbone and my skin was greasy that someone poured a cup of oil on my face. I'm on day 18 and all my oil has gone. I started on 20mg/day and had a horrible initial breakout. My whiteheads are gone, chin is 95% clear and forehead is 80% clear, I still have 2 big n deep ones on my cheeks but drying out fast. I havent had any serious and noticeable side effects just red marks on my cheeks. I take my pills right after dinner with a 250ml glass of milk. I'm using Tripple action PURIN Anti Acne Face Wash twice a day and my skin doesnt look so flaky except the area around my lips. I dont use any moisturiser as my skin is not that much dry and flaky. I might be thinking of getting one when i increase the dose.

I once again wish you good luck for your treatment and hope that you won't get that horrible IB but prepare yourself for that, your oil gonna come out and it will be worse than before but for a very limited time.

Cheers

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 10/20/2012 11:07 pm

Thanks so much! I'm glad your treatment is going so well! I hope I can see improvement like that and I'm not one of those lucky few who don't even start clearing up until the third month. It's nice to know someone with a similar situation as me too. I'll have to look into that face wash because mine seriously sucks! Hopefully we will have flawless skin by the end of this!

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 10/20/2012 11:27 pm

End of day two!

Bleh I have been exhausted all day. I've had a pretty chill few days and I got a full night of sleep, but I still feel weak. I went to the gym and could hardly walk, let alone run on the treadmill. Noo clue if this is Accutane related though. Not much has changed except my face is SOOOOO much oilier?!!? I used to have dry skin! What is this madness! I have tons more small bumps all over my face. Nothing terrible. Better than cysts! I used to only get cysts though, so it's weird that whiteheads have decided to show up to the party all of a sudden. It doesn't look that bad, but it feels rough and bumpy and disgusting and not how skin should feel. I'm still blaming this on quitting all of my topicals, scrubs, and acne fighting products since I don't know if I could be seeing side effects this quickly? Maybe it is the Accutane though.. who knows! I did get a rash on the top of my hands/wrists though! Isn't that supposed to be a side effect? I'm pretty prone to rashes, but I've heard of other people getting this so I just assumed it was the tane. It went away after a couple of hours but still! I know I shouldn't be as excited as I am to see side effects, but I just want this to work sooooo so so so so SO bad. I can't even imagine a life with clear skin. I just wanna be confident for once in my life.

MemberMember
(@sonrisafingida)

Posted : 10/21/2012 8:07 am

hey!

i started with 20mg/day(still at this dosage) and at the end of the first week i had such a bone pain and i was more exhausted than usual.

how old are you?

good luck on your journey!!

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 10/22/2012 1:21 am

Hey girl! Thanks! Ugh the exhaustion is horrible! Good to know that it's not just me. I feel like I'm blaming every little problem on Accutane. And I'm 18. How is 20mg working for you? Are the side effects horrible still? I'm so worried that I won't get the proper dosage in my system, but I guess I just have to trust my derm.

Day three!

I am soo very tired. Walking up the stairs is such a great feat for me these past few days. I still went to the gym, but I took it easy again for obvious reasons. I still don't know if this is from Accutane though. I may just have a rubbish diet lately. Other than that nothing new to report here. Still oily. I think I've broken out more though. Still no major cysts, but I'm just pretty much bumpy all over. They're not quite whiteheads either, as they don't come to a head. My lips aren't the slightest bit chapped, but I'm still overachieving and religiously putting on chapstick. I've been cleansing my face with Burt's Bees deep cleansing face wash or something like that. It's 100% natural and the ingredients didn't seem too harsh so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's really thick and creamy and I think I'm liking it so far. Definitely doesn't leave my skin tight or dry in the slightest. I haven't tried removing makeup with it, so we'll see how I like it after that. I'm trying to avoid foundation though. I just feel so gross right now and putting on makeup and going out doesn't sound fun in the slightest. I really think I'll hibernate these next few months. I desperately want my skin to dry up though. I feel like everything is just being caused by oil right now. I'm tempted to put on a topical, but I'm gonna try and resist the urge and just let Accutane take over from here. I'm moisturizing with Cereve PM right now. Just lightly though since I am so oily at the moment. Do any of you use a toner at all? I was thinking about maybe investing in a gentle one, just to give my skin a little extra boost. I really don't want to overdo it though, so I'm not sure. Any input on that would be great! Oh and I forgot to mention earlier than I also suffer from bacne. :( It's a lot more severe than my face and scars tons easier too. Has anyone had any luck with Accutane and body acne? I will be devastated if it doesn't improve at all. Anyways! It's bedtime thank the lord. I hope I miraculously wake up with a little dry patch or something lol! The journey continues.

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 10/23/2012 1:06 am

Day cuatro.

So I just got back from the gym and I saw an old co worker working (I used to work there) and I wasn't wearing any makeup and I looked absolutely horrid. I was mortified. I hate working out with makeup on, but it's so embarrassing when people see my naked face. It's amazing what makeup can do. I'm just soooo ready to be clear. I really won't mind if I still get one or two spots, but I just have so much hatred towards my face right now! Even going on a walk outside and passing a stranger makes me feel self conscious! And I hate when I'm talking to someone and instead of giving me eye contact I can see them glancing at my breakouts. Ugh. So over this. F you acne. F you.

Anyways, no major symptoms yet. My face is getting bumpier. Still nothing major! I think I'll probably get an IB though since I can already see blackheads and other spots becoming more prominent. Like every little pour seems to have something going on. Gross. But I'm not dry at all anywhere! No headaches. No rash on my hand. No joint pain. I wasn't quite as tired today either. So you can start doin your thing anytime now Accutane! Bring on the battle. Give me flakes. I'm 5'9 and weigh about 160. So I really feel like 40 MG isn't enough? My derm didn't even ask my weight though. Maybe she just want's to start me off really slow to minimize side effects. Oh well. I trust her. And it hasn't even been a week, so I dunno why I'm even complaining. I'm just negative nelly lately. That is all though. Over and out.

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 10/23/2012 9:39 am

Okay so quick little update! I just woke up and my lips are burning! Not really dry... but that kind of chapped feeling where you just want to lick them constantly haha! And oh my goodness my eyeballs! I could not even open them this morning! They were so dry and buuurrrrrrrned! But then after a good 15 minutes of blinking they were okay but holy cow I that was a wee bit painful. They're still a little dry and if I don't blink enough they hurt. But nothing like when I first woke up. I need some eyedrops I'm thinkin! I broke out a little more too. I have quite a deep painful spot on my chin. It's not that visible soo that's good, but still. Ouchie Charlie. But that is all! Not quite breaking news yet, but we're getting somewhere at least!

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 10/25/2012 12:27 am

Day 6

Ugh hey there break out. It's not thaaaaat bad though. But I definitely have a lot of spots popping up. Deep and painful ones, mind you! No side effects really. Like I can hardly tell I'm even taking Accutane. Even this breakout isn't that bad. At least an IB is a sign that it's working. I would even take that right now. I can't even tell if this is an IB or just the usual breaking out spree that my face goes on quite often. I mean it's nothing special. This is how my face usually looks. I have a few spots on each cheekbone, a couple on my jawline, and then lots on my chin/mouth area. Ohhh well, patience is a virtue. I'll get there eventually. I hope.. unsure.png Really not much to say again! Lips are good, face isn't dry, back is the same, scalp is good, eyes are a tad bit dry but not much at all, not too tired anymore. Tomorrow will be week one! Hopefully something magical will happen so I don't sound like such a broken record in this log. I might just be the most impatient human being on the planet. I mean it hasn't even been a week. Stop your complaining Jenna. Okay enough! Byeeee

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 10/25/2012 8:07 am

Hey there Jenna!

You and I seem to have very similar reactions to the accutane. Your ramblings sound just like mine! haha. If you read my log (spellbinding stuff, let me tell you mellow.png ) you will see that you aren't the only one bitching! I was looking for every little change but eventually things just kinda settled and started to get MUUUUCH better! I'm a little more than half way through my treatment and I could not be happier. I started to clear up at the end of my second month but before that, my face was doin some weird wonkey shit and I was worried it might get worse (never did). I never thought I would see the day when my skin was smooth again. Hang in there and drop me a message if you have any questions. I think I could help since our skin seems so much the same and I'm just a bit ahead of you. Also, I am queen of products and I could tell you what did or didn't work for me.

Good luck, sista!

~Celia

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 11/03/2012 12:21 pm

Thanks Celia! I will definitely be following your log! I'm freakin relieved to hear that things will get better. I'm glad you're treatment is going so well! I'm knocking on wood that I will follow in your footsteps hah!

Day uh... 15?

Soo I haven't updated in quite a while.. BUT THERE WAS NO FREAKING POINT lol! My skin has hardly changed. I'm still breaking out like I always have. Booooo. Like the same places as usual. I had a pretty great cyst on my chin that's lasted a good week or so and is fiiinally starting to go down. But other that that just deep spots on my left cheekbone, a cyst on my forehead, and a couple breakouts on my jawline currently. Not much on the side effect side of things yet either. My lips aren't dry at all or anything. One of my zits flaked off the other day, so I though maybe I'd start seeing dryer skin but nooope. It's not oily like it was at first though so that's good. But my nose is a teeny tiny bit dry, but nothing nosebleed worthy or anything, just to the point where it annoys me. My eyes are still a little dry when I first wake up. My blackheads are gross now though. I think everything is just trying to come up for air, but can't quite make it. Poor guys. I think that covers everything though. I'm ready for a dose uppage. uppage.. ha. Makin' up words like champ. Oh and I really like the Burts Bees deep cleansing cream stuff. I would totally recommend it. But that is all. Byeee for now! :)

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 11/04/2012 3:38 pm

Good luck! I'll be following your log to see how things go. :) I'm hopefully starting in about two weeks, so I'm trying to get all the info I can before it starts!

Good luck! I'll be following your log to see how things go. :) I'm hopefully starting in about two weeks, so I'm trying to get all the info I can before it starts!

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 11/04/2012 4:14 pm

So I'm still breaking out like I normally do but I've noticed that they are going away faster. My face doesn't really look that horrible, but it feels like sandpaper when you touch it I swear. My lips get somewhat dry in the morning if I forget to apply a lip balm at night, but nothing extreme. I get a couple flakes here and there, but not even like legit flakes. Just little baby ones when the zit dries up that hardly count.

Products I've been using

-Burt's Bees deep cleansing cream (morning and night)

I love this too much. It doesn't irritate or dry out my skin at all and makes me all fresh and clean feeling!

-Cerave PM moisturizer (morning and night)

This is pretty good too. It doesn't leave my skin super greasy feeling. Even though it's a PM lotion, I think it's really light (at least for me anyways) and works well under makeup since it doesn't have SPF in it.

-Cerave moisturizing cream

This is a suuuuuper thick cream. I haven't really needed to use this yet since my skin hasn't been horribly dry. I've always had really dry eyelids and eye area, and they've gotten a little drier since tane, so I've been using it every night as an eye cream and it definitely does the job. I've only had a few spots flake up, but I've used this on them a few times now and it worked great for that too. So if I get extremely dry in the near future, this would be my go to product!

-100% aloe vera gel

I've always used this on any picked at/sore spots to help healing.

-Dickinson's witch hazel

I use this every now and then as a toner. It's non-drying and doesn't irritate my skin at all. It just really helps get the makeup and dirt off my face that might have been left behind from washing my face. I just like my face to be super super clean and this does the trick.

I've been using aquaphor or burt's bees on my lips throughout the day. Like I said, my lips haven't been extremely dry but if there's nothing on them they can get a bit uncomfortable/gross looking. Especially at night I like to cake on burt's bees and put a good layer of aquaphor on top and my lips are golden in the morning!

I've also noticed my hair getting a wee bit drier. Nothing major, but once or twice a week I'll coat my hair in coconut oil and leave it in for as long as possible. It's always AMAZINGLY soft the next day! Fish oil has always helped my hair as well.

OH BY THE WAY!!! My face is so freakin red! Well okay not THAT bad. But noticeably red. Like toootttally different than my neck and body. Like bam. Not cute at all. And people ask me about it all the time. I hate when people do that by the way. Like I am aware, please stop pointing out my flaws dude. But hey, I can deal with a red face for a few months if I get clear skin in return.

MemberMember
(@smallbirdie)

Posted : 11/07/2012 1:19 am

Welcome to the accutane club BMarieWantsNoAcne! The month before your second pregnancy test is the worst huh!! Seriously the slowest month of my life. I was counting down the days and it felt like aaaages! Anything for clear skin though I guess!

Day 20

Okay I vow from here on out to not pick at my skin AT ALL. I'm am avid picker and it just makes things look sooooo much worse. I'm all scabby now. Ugh I just can't wait for improvement. Does anyone know if accutane helps with blackheads at all? It should, right? I haven't really researched that because blackheads are honestly the least of my priorities, but it'd be nice. My lips have been getting drier from time to time but nothing chapstick can't cure! My face is relatively dry too, but not as bad as when I used topicals, so I'm used to it! I had a migraine yesterday and I horrible headache as we speak. I dunno if it's accutane related, but it's horrible. So I'm gonna end this before I cut my head off. Still breaking out the norm amount. Jawline and cheekbones cysts mostly. But every little pore on my face looks like it's trying to just push stuff out. Like little bumps everywhere. So gross. I really hope accutane works. I mean I'm not very hopeful because I've never really had clear skin... like I remember even in 4th grade being self conscious of rosacea. But if it could just AT LEAST improve things a little... I would be okay with that. Obviously I want 100% acne free skin, but I'm just a negative nelly I guess. Preparing for the worst. Blah. Enough with my negativity. Time to go try and sleep this headache off... Much love!

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 11/09/2012 3:59 pm

Yes! Especially because I know I am not pregnant, so can I please start already?? Lol. I suppose I am learning patience though.

I've read some logs where peoples black heads all clear out... I hope mine do!

And maybe try drinking more water? I'm not on Accutane yet but I know whenever I do get headaches it's because of dehydration. There is plenty of time for experimentation. Lol. But even if it doesn't help with the headaches it's still beneficial. :)

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 11/13/2012 3:06 am

Day 20

My lips have been getting drier from time to time but nothing chapstick can't cure! My face is relatively dry too, but not as bad as when I used topicals, so I'm used to it!

Jawline and cheekbones cysts mostly. But every little pore on my face looks like it's trying to just push stuff out. Like little bumps everywhere. So gross. I really hope accutane works. I mean I'm not very hopeful because I've never really had clear skin... like I remember even in 4th grade being self conscious of rosacea.

Hey Jenna, like you I have had skin problems for as long as I can remember, for me acne and recently a bit of eczema, the earliest being at eight years of age.

If your lips start getting drier I can recommend a few products, depending on where you live. In my country, Australia, I have found one effective moisturiser for my lips, lansinoh (a nipple cream, weird but it works), but in the United Stated and UK they have Aquaphor and bag balm.

As for when you might start to see improvements, I found that around the 6-8 week mark my acne started to calm down (both for my initial dose and when my dose was increased). I had an initial breakout for both the initial dose and the increased dose. Feel free to look at my log, I am on my 170th day, and you might find something useful or encouraging.

Good luck with your treatment, I hope you skin clears up quickly for you.

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 12/19/2012 11:01 am

How is your treatment going so far?