Notifications
Clear all

Scared To Use Coconut Oil On My Face For Acne

MemberMember
(@ccmetz2020)

Posted : 10/18/2012 12:36 pm

Hey everyone, I have mild acne mostly around my mouth and on my cheeks. I've thought about using extra virgin coconut oil because of it's antibacterial properties and my face also tends to get very dry and flaky after showering in the morning! I'm most annoyed with the flakiness and redness I get around my mouth after showering. Would coconut oil work as a good moisturizer? I'm a little skeptical because I don't want to start using coconut oil and then all of a sudden my pores are getting clogged. Any advice?

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 10/18/2012 12:53 pm

Hey everyone, I have mild acne mostly around my mouth and on my cheeks. I've thought about using extra virgin coconut oil because of it's antibacterial properties and my face also tends to get very dry and flaky after showering in the morning! I'm most annoyed with the flakiness and redness I get around my mouth after showering. Would coconut oil work as a good moisturizer? I'm a little skeptical because I don't want to start using coconut oil and then all of a sudden my pores are getting clogged. Any advice?

Some people it clogs pores, others it doesnt. It didnt clog mine, and did a great job on my skin when I used it. Every product will use on some people, and not others. Only way is to find out. Read some reviews on this site to see what others have said. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@verdnase)

Posted : 10/18/2012 12:56 pm

Coconut oil is usually regarded as comedogenic. I personally don't use coconut oil as i like extra virgin olive oil.

Try a patch test and see if you breakout, just because something is comedogenic doesn't guarantee it will break you out. Jojoba oil is supposed to be non-comedogenic, but broke me out badly.

MemberMember
(@ccmetz2020)

Posted : 10/18/2012 1:47 pm

Ok I think I'll try putting some on a small patch on my face and seeing what happens. How much do you think I should use? I've seen some ppl recommend only a pea-sized amount for your entire face. Also, how long should I patch test it before I can be pretty sure that I won't breakout from it?

MemberMember
(@user185679)

Posted : 10/18/2012 2:01 pm

MemberMember
(@jb00)

Posted : 06/08/2013 8:36 am

I think extra virgin coconut oil is not considered non-comedogenic if you check published papers on the topical use of the oil on the skin.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/08/2013 1:12 pm

I wouldn't use coconut oil on my face. Use a quality high linoleic acid containing oil like safflower, which helps the linoleic deficiency acne and other skin problem prone people have.

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 06/08/2013 1:51 pm

I tried cold pressed, unrefined, virgin coconut oil on my face several months ago and the result was 2 days of soft, glowing skin followed by the worst cystic acne breakout I've had in 20+ years of living with acne. I tried to push through the breakout, as most of what I've read described an initial purging. The cysts and clogged pores began to erupt in places is never even had a pimple and my face looked awful. I had to stop. It took 2 months after the coconut oil nightmare to see the last cyst disappear. The ONLY good thing that came out of that disaster was that it introduced me to try different oils on my face. I have settled into a few great oils that are complimentary to my skin-not without many trial & errors over the months of experimenting. Tamanu, aragon & rosehip seed are my favorites. All 100% virgin, cold pressed, organic.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/08/2013 10:48 pm

I have tried using shit on my face before, and the result is always bad. Apple cider vinegar? Horrible breakout. Benzoyl peroxide? Irritated skin.

Raw honey? did nothing.

Topicals do nothing

MemberMember
(@pinkunicorn)

Posted : 06/16/2013 9:52 pm

Using it on your face isn't the only way to get benefits from coconut oil. Look at this article: [Removed] it has a few different methods for how to use coconut oil for acne and how to pick the best type. It also shouldn't clog your pores, make sure you are buying raw and organic virgin coconut oil, that way it's pure and doesn't have any additives that might clog your pores.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/17/2013 11:17 am

Yes, I must admit, also had break-outs from using coconut oil on my face.

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 08/18/2013 11:25 pm

Yes, I must admit, also had break-outs from using coconut oil on my face.

What kind did you use? I have been using Artisana organic raw coconut oil for 2 and half years, although my body and face acne is back and forth with having clogged pores and acne, I am sure it has done more GOOD then BAD. There are many different types of coconut oil, make sure it is either whole kernel and organic like Dr. Bronners, or extra virgin, raw, organic, like the one I use. Some days I got great skin compliments on my back, and other days I feel like not leaving the house! It's whack!

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 10/11/2013 9:11 pm

coconut oil is a 4 on the comedogenic rating scale. which means it is fairly high in clogging pores (if that is an issue for the user). i rather eat it, than apply it.