Notifications
Clear all

Differin Ib Question! Please Help!

MemberMember
(@nazneen-rahman)

Posted : 10/17/2012 4:16 am

Hi everyone,

I started using differin 0.1% 4 weeks ago along with Zineryt(erythromycin + Zinc) and BP in the morning. I knew about the initial breakout so I wasn't expecting any results at all first. My dermetologist said I had mild-moderate acne. I had some comedons on my nose(very hard to notice) and some acne on my cheeks which would come to head very fast and last a max of 3 days. I did have alot of tiny clogged pores on my forehead and chin. I used to have really really bad acne before but as I grew older( I am 19 now) it started getting better but still not clearing up like I wannet it to.

So anyway as I said I've been using differin for 4 weeks now and just 3 days ago I started getting alot of cycstic acne(which I NEVER had before in my whole life!). My initial breakout did start from the second week but it only consisted of the type of acne I usually had so I wasn't that worried. These cystic acnes are really painful and my skin looks horrifying! I am really trying to stay positive with differin cause I know it takes time to work. I did have some good things happen to my skin like my comedons are 100% gone and my forehead is 98% clear( i only had tiny clogged pores there) but my cheeks are red like a tomato with cysts along with my chin! I am very scared of the scars Im gonna get from all these cysts.

Did anyone have a similar experience? I just want to know if this is normal. If yes then when can I expect improvements?

MemberMember
(@hayleyx90)

Posted : 10/17/2012 4:00 pm

I started using differin about 9 months ago along with duac gel in the morning along with bcp (yasmin). For the first two months, my skin was so red and i was breaking out, it was really painful but then I started to notice my blackheads looked so much better and I wasn't getting those painful bumps under the skin anymore. Differin really improved my acne though, and I noticed a really big difference in the dark marks my acne left, they faded a lot faster. Like you, my forehead cleared quickly, but it was my chin and jawline that took a little longer. My derm said it should take 3-4 months to see the full effects of differin, so don't worry and I really hope things improve for you!! I know how depressing it can be...I'm in my early twenties and thought my acne would've cleared by now too:( xx

MemberMember
(@nazneen-rahman)

Posted : 10/18/2012 3:12 am

I started using differin about 9 months ago along with duac gel in the morning along with bcp (yasmin). For the first two months, my skin was so red and i was breaking out, it was really painful but then I started to notice my blackheads looked so much better and I wasn't getting those painful bumps under the skin anymore. Differin really improved my acne though, and I noticed a really big difference in the dark marks my acne left, they faded a lot faster. Like you, my forehead cleared quickly, but it was my chin and jawline that took a little longer. My derm said it should take 3-4 months to see the full effects of differin, so don't worry and I really hope things improve for you!! I know how depressing it can be...I'm in my early twenties and thought my acne would've cleared by now too:( xx

Thanx for the reply! Its good to know Im not alone in this. I am willing to stay positive to get clear skin. I actually really really like how glowy and smooth differin makes my skin!:D Good luck with getting clear skin. Since its improving for you you've got nothing to worry about.:) I actually started taking oral antibiotic two days ago cause my ib was out of control and it really helped. The bumps hurt alot less and looks like they're in their healing process. So yay!:) Btw what moisturizer and cleanser do you use?

MemberMember
(@hayleyx90)

Posted : 10/18/2012 5:14 am

yeah my skin was really glowing when I used differin too! Are you still on the oral antibiotics? I just stopped using differin this month, my derm asked me to use epiduo with the pill together. I'm coming off the pill next month, I'm so scared but praying that epiduo works for me. Are you in the UK? I use Ayuri wild turmeric cleanser and I use a moisturiser called Aveeno. I really love it, it doesn't break me out and it really calms down the red patches differin and BP left me. I used cetaphil as well as recommended by my derm, but I didn't really like it, I didn't feel it was cleansing enough i that makes sense. But I know a lot of people love it and it really works for some people.

You said you're 19 and you're acne has started getting better, maybe it was just a case of teenage acne and your skin will continue to improve as your hormones settle down? good luck :) xx

MemberMember
(@nazneen-rahman)

Posted : 10/19/2012 3:14 am

yeah my skin was really glowing when I used differin too! Are you still on the oral antibiotics? I just stopped using differin this month, my derm asked me to use epiduo with the pill together. I'm coming off the pill next month, I'm so scared but praying that epiduo works for me. Are you in the UK? I use Ayuri wild turmeric cleanser and I use a moisturiser called Aveeno. I really love it, it doesn't break me out and it really calms down the red patches differin and BP left me. I used cetaphil as well as recommended by my derm, but I didn't really like it, I didn't feel it was cleansing enough i that makes sense. But I know a lot of people love it and it really works for some people.

You said you're 19 and you're acne has started getting better, maybe it was just a case of teenage acne and your skin will continue to improve as your hormones settle down? good luck smile.png xx

I started the antibiotic 3 days ago twice a day and I'll continue it like that for 5 days and then drop it to once a day. Thats what my dad said( he's a doc too). Honestly the antibiotic helped SOOO much! every single bump I had under my skin is healing. I was hoping to fight through this without the help of antibiotics cause I am scared to stop having them once I start too! A year ago I was on this antibiotic renamycin for 6 months along with no other tropical medication and it cleared my skin up like 100%! I was so happy!! The reason I didn't want to use any tropical acne medication is cause I used bp a loooong time ago and it dried up my skin. So on my request my mom put me on renamycin.(yes, shes a doc too. lol) and it worked! Once I stopped it was all good for a couple of months and then slowly my acne came back but it was never as bad as it used to be before i did my renamycin course. So i guess thats a good thing. Plus I was not using anything on my face maybe thats why it came back but you'll be using epiduo so Im sure it will supress the acne. Oh and my dermatologist also wannet to put me on epiduo but unfortunately it is not available in Kuwait where I live. Epiduo is a mixture of Bp and differin so technically you'll still be on differin so don't worry!

MemberMember
(@hayleyx90)

Posted : 10/24/2012 11:54 am

how's your skin doing now? ? I'm glad antibiotics are working for you, I've been on so many and the effects never seemed to last for me. Your so lucky your parents are doctors!! Are you using bp too then or just the differin? xx