Notifications
Clear all

Why Cannot I Find A Gentle Cleanser With No Offending Ingredients?

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 10/16/2012 11:22 am

Hi folks,

I am mid 30's now and have over the years been in pursuit of trying to find a gentle non-medicated non-comodegenic oil-free cleanser that is suitable for sensitive skin and that does not have any of the offending (pore clogging) ingredients listed on some websites. My mission has failed so far. I wasted so much money over the years buying cleansers/soaps and then ended up stacking them in my cupboard! It is so frustrating, especially considering that sometimes I have to pay for them to be shipped to me in Europe from the US or Canada.

I think I have a combination skin with oily forehead/T-zone and hair scalp and kinda a bit dry cheeks etc. I think my skin is a bit sensitive too so that is why I do not want to use harsh stuff on it.

Things I bought in the past include:

• Purpose Gentle face wash Con: Has SLS and fragrance.

• Purpose and Basis gentle cleansing soap bars: I like the feeling but they are too drying and broke me out.

• Cetaphil gentle cleanser: contains SLS.

• Spectro Jel.

• Garnier exfoliating face wash: found to be two harsh.

• Oxy face wash: broke me out.

• Simple face wash (meant for sensitive skin): contains Sodium Chloride.

Those are just a few names to list. I also tried other brands in the past such as Neutrogena and Avene etc.

Recently, I went to Boots and bought one of their cleansers which say is meant for sensitive skin of all types and it has no colors or fragrances and is hypo-allergic but when I double checked the ingredients , I found that Sodium Chloride is list 4th or 5th in the list! Not sure if I should keep using it or stop.

In the past I reached the conclusion that I would use only water. It worked ok but i was getting the occasional pimple or two every now and then and did not like the oily scene of my forehead in particular.

So any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 10/16/2012 11:52 am

Hi folks,

I am mid 30's now and have over the years been in pursuit of trying to find a gentle non-medicated non-comodegenic oil-free cleanser that is suitable for sensitive skin and that does not have any of the offending (pore clogging) ingredients listed on some websites. My mission has failed so far. I wasted so much money over the years buying cleansers/soaps and then ended up stacking them in my cupboard! It is so frustrating, especially considering that sometimes I have to pay for them to be shipped to me in Europe from the US or Canada.

I think I have a combination skin with oily forehead/T-zone and hair scalp and kinda a bit dry cheeks etc. I think my skin is a bit sensitive too so that is why I do not want to use harsh stuff on it.

• Purpose and Basis gentle cleansing soap bars: I like the feeling but they are too drying and broke me out.
  • Spectro Jel.

Those are just a few names to list. I also tried other brands in the past such as Neutrogena and Avene etc.

Recently, I went to Boots and bought one of their cleansers which say is meant for sensitive skin of all types and it has no colors or fragrances and is hypo-allergic but when I double checked the ingredients , I found that Sodium Chloride is list 4th or 5th in the list! Not sure if I should keep using it or stop.

In the past I reached the conclusion that I would use only water. It worked ok but i was getting the occasional pimple or two every now and then and did not like the oily scene of my forehead in particular.

So any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Try oil cleansing.

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 10/16/2012 12:00 pm

Hi folks,

• Spectro Jel.

So any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Try oil cleansing.

I have a combination skin with oily forehead so I am afraid using oil might make things worse and give more breakouts.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 10/16/2012 12:15 pm

I have oily skin. All over (It's not pretty haha) and I haven't had problems with it. I think the trick is in which oils you use.

Heck, I use coconut oil as a moisturizer at night and my skin has never looked so good.

I could never use Olive Oil because it always breaks me out bad, and jojoba oil always made me get zits but in combination with others it's not a problem.

I did 2 parts Grapeseed oil, 1 part jojoba oil and a little bit of vitamin E oil. I didn't have Coconut oil when I first made my batch but I imagine since it works so well now it would be great in the mixture.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 10/21/2012 11:51 am

Here's a good thread on the topic of cleansing that my interest you: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/318914-the-importance-of-cleansing/

I love these witch hazel and aloe pads:

http://www.drugstore.com/t-n-dickinsons-hazelets-witch-hazel-pads/qxp86726?catid=182284

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/itemid=76649/dickinsons-witch

I wash my face with water and a wash cloth then finish off with these. They don't strip my face of natural oils but leaves my skin feeling clean and refreshed.