Notifications
Clear all

Pretty Packaging

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 10/15/2012 4:00 pm

So your face is clear, you've found a regimen that works. You're at the store, and for giggles and grins you go to the skin care section.

And you see all the pretty cleansers and moisturizers and masks, and you almost try to convince yourself that some of these things might be better than what you're using, even though you know they aren't.

Sometimes I feel drawn to all the pretty facial products just because..they look pretty! Especially Skin Food prodcuts, but really just any facial products in a store. I feel like a kid in a candy shop ooing and aaahing at all the different things. My skin routine is pretty simple and bland ( Cetaphil isn't really known for pretty packaging ), and although I'm 1OO% clear because of it, I can't help just wanting to go and look at all the other stuff, it drives me crazy sometimes XD Not in a bad way, just in an "Oh my god look at all this stuff it's so cool and pretty and colourful blah blah blah" way.

Anyone else have this feeling?

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/16/2012 4:12 pm

What you're experiencing is very normal, all the fancy packaging on skincare stuff is there to make us feel like they're superior to other brands in boring/medicinal packages. It's just a good old marketing trick. It appeals to the eyes, so you pick it up and look at it, and maybe even buy it. There have been studies done to show that people are more likely to buy almost any product that's in a pretty packaging, rather than a one in ugly packaging -even if it's exactly the same thing - it's like this with everything - food, clothes, make up, games, etc.

Don't fall for it - most of the time what makes a drugstore product more expensive is the packaging and not the ingredients.

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 10/17/2012 4:31 pm

What you're experiencing is very normal, all the fancy packaging on skincare stuff is there to make us feel like they're superior to other brands in boring/medicinal packages. It's just a good old marketing trick. It appeals to the eyes, so you pick it up and look at it, and maybe even buy it. There have been studies done to show that people are more likely to buy almost any product that's in a pretty packaging, rather than a one in ugly packaging -even if it's exactly the same thing - it's like this with everything - food, clothes, make up, games, etc.

Don't fall for it - most of the time what makes a drugstore product more expensive is the packaging and not the ingredients.

Nah I never fall for it 😛 Breaking my skin routine isn't an option, I just love looking at all the other things.