Notifications
Clear all

Acceptance

MemberMember
(@ontherun)

Posted : 10/15/2012 2:00 am

I've been thinking lately that maybe I am too attached to outcomes, as in thinking I'll only be happy once I have clear skin (or when I make a lot of money etc. etc.). The way my skin looks has become deepset in my subconscious. I'm going to start just focusing more on appreciating what I do have, maybe that'll help.

Do you think you could you be happy even if your skin never got better?

MemberMember
(@tony1990)

Posted : 10/15/2012 4:40 am

I think it's the other way around, the only way to get clear skin IS to be happy.. It's hard though I'm still trying to work on my emotional side with acne, I have my ups and down. But I have noticed my face looking really good when I am relaxed or just being happy.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 10/15/2012 5:32 am

I've been thinking lately that maybe I am too attached to outcomes, as in thinking I'll only be happy once I have clear skin (or when I make a lot of money etc. etc.). The way my skin looks has become deepset in my subconscious. I'm going to start just focusing more on appreciating what I do have, maybe that'll help.

I know exactly what you mean, I too often imagine my life much better after I get what I want. For the most part I try to appreciate things in my life and have gratitude, since I believe and have read many many books about positive thinking and things, but I do have my bad days and when they come around I am the most negative person ever and my face is worse. Maybe thats the stress or something I don't know.

I guess in life you gotta' give a little to get a little, and whether that means being happy with yourself, accepting yourself as you are and loving yourself, maybe your body will give that back to you by rewarding you with better skin. It certainly would not hurt to try and have a new approach/outlook on life. I am a great believer in that everything happens for a reason, and I do genuienly believe that I have acne for a reason perhaps to learn something? Like patience or self-acceptance. In my case I strongly think its the patience though.

In a book I have called "Heal your body" it has a list of ailments ALL ailments actually with a holistic meaning and a probable cause of why we have it. When I look up acne it says:

acne - Dislike of self. Not accepting the self - and a healing affirmation of this is " I love and accept myself where I am right now"

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 10/15/2012 6:33 am

I think it's a good idea to change our mindset regarding acne to it being a more positive one. I agree that working on accepting yourself for who you are is a great thing. Remember that acne does not make you who you are. We shouldn't put our lives on hold or stop enjoying all the great things in life because we have acne. Of course it makes sense that we still have down days where acne really gets to us and upsets us - and that's fine - dealing with acne can be tough and exhausting mentally/emotionally- I think it's important through to really try and not get trapped in that negative frame of mind and have that mindset 'rule' your everyday life.

I used to really think exactly how you described - 'maybe once I have clear skin I'll be really happy, or someone will think I'm pretty, or then I'll be able to do all the things in life that I want to do'. Thinking like that isn't a good idea in my opinion. Life is short! Like I said, we shouldn't put our lives on hold because of acne! Acne can't stop you from living your life, enjoying life and being happy as long as you don't let it :) I really try and not think so negatively about my skin and myself these days. I do still fall into these more negative thinking patterns at times but I know thinking that way doesn't help anything but I notice the difference when I try and stay positive, even if it is just in how I feel.

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 10/16/2012 10:37 am

Google key to happiness. You will find that many will agree that the key of happiness is appreciating what you have, right now. Thats not to say, don't set goals and look forward to the future. But if you cannot appreciate what you have now, despite your circumstances, you will be in a world of hurt. Also, if you do not appreciate what you have now, you will certainly not appreciate what you will have in the future, nearly as much as you would if you appreciate everything in all. It starts with now. Not tomorrow.

Lastly. There IS a far greater power than ourselves. This world we live in (earth) is smaller than a cell when compared to the Universe. There is a greater power. To start, think positive if you want to attract positive things into your life. You have nothing to lose by trying this.

Also, although we are all caught up in outer beauty and materials, work on your inner beauty. THAT is true beauty despite whatever the critics say.

Put this all together and continue to shoot for the stars.

When momentum comes your way.. and it will... ride that shit.

MemberMember
(@kin92)

Posted : 10/16/2012 6:39 pm

Google key to happiness. You will find that many will agree that the key of happiness is appreciating what you have, right now. Thats not to say, don't set goals and look forward to the future. But if you cannot appreciate what you have now, despite your circumstances, you will be in a world of hurt. Also, if you do not appreciate what you have now, you will certainly not appreciate what you will have in the future, nearly as much as you would if you appreciate everything in all. It starts with now. Not tomorrow.

Lastly. There IS a far greater power than ourselves. This world we live in (earth) is smaller than a cell when compared to the Universe. There is a greater power. To start, think positive if you want to attract positive things into your life. You have nothing to lose by trying this.

Also, although we are all caught up in outer beauty and materials, work on your inner beauty. THAT is true beauty despite whatever the critics say.

Put this all together and continue to shoot for the stars.

When momentum comes your way.. and it will... ride that shit.

This is great advice. And true.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 10/16/2012 7:28 pm

Agreed that sometimes we just need to sit down and appreciate everything that we have. I might have bad skin, but I have a great family that supports me in anything that I do, I've had girlfriends in in the past and experienced love in the past, I have some good friends, a stable, comfortable place to live...food to eat every day and plenty of things to keep me occupied. The world is a beautiful place, and it's been kind to me. Just today I was driving around and marveling at the fall colors and how amazing the mountains look in October...plus this is my favorite month because it's Halloween season and I love everything about Halloween. Whenever I'm REALLY low, I think about how much life has to offer and all of the great things that I've experienced so far in life. I'll never stop fighting because I want more good experiences, and I want to make more good, lasting memories for myself. Besides my skin, I'm in good health and I'm a young guy...so there's plenty of potential out there for me.

I think we all reach a special point in life where we say "fuck this" and just put the skin issues into the back of our minds and move forward with life as best we can...because it is short and we need to make the absolute most of it. We might have acne and the insecurities that come with acne, but we all still deserve happiness.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 10/16/2012 7:39 pm

Just today I was driving around and marveling at the fall colors and how amazing the mountains look in October...plus this is my favorite month because it's Halloween season and I love everything about Halloween.

:D this is one of the reasons I want to live in America for a little while someday haha

I think we all reach a special point in life where we say "fuck this" and just put the skin issues into the back of our minds and move forward with life as best we can...because it is short and we need to make the absolute most of it. We might have acne and the insecurities that come with acne, but we all still deserve happiness.

Exactly. I think there is a point where we do just move forward with it. And great point too- everyone does deserve to be happy!

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 10/17/2012 4:47 pm

I think it's the other way around, the only way to get clear skin IS to be happy.. It's hard though I'm still trying to work on my emotional side with acne, I have my ups and down. But I have noticed my face looking really good when I am relaxed or just being happy.

i kind of agree with this, i had this phase where i just stopped caring and focused more on making friends (i had a summer job so i met a ton of new people) and i cleared up almost completely, probably because i wasnt messing with my face so much. it helps telling yourselfbpeople are fine being friends with someone who has acne, theyre just more selective when it comes to relationships, so as long as you dont expect anyone to ask you out you dont have to feel so insecure

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 10/17/2012 10:30 pm

Who the fuck is going to be happy with this shit on their face. Fuck that.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 10/18/2012 4:03 am

I think you can be happy. Especially if you find something in life that you like / enjoy - it can be anything that distracts you from constantly focusing on your acne / appearance. But to find whatever that is people have to decide to care less about their skin and decide to not mope around so much and get out there and into life. I do think a lot of it comes down to how you think and what you choose to do or not do.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/18/2012 8:46 am

If you lost your legs would accept it or feel sorry for yourself?

Chance you'd accept it and move on. Has to be the same with acne. It may be with you your whole life. The sooner you accept that the happier you will be.

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 10/18/2012 7:47 pm

How can you be happy when you feel like shit every single day and you've tried everything and you can't look people in the eye because they keep staring at your acne and you try to cover the sides of your face with your hair & you're too insecure to put up your hair because all your jaw acne and cheek acne and everything will show as Stan out. Not to mention walking in the halls an people staring at my face & I can just taste all the judgment to me, especially the younger kids. Nobody understands.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 10/18/2012 11:40 pm

I think you can be happy. Especially if you find

something in life that you like / enjoy - it can be

anything that distracts you from constantly

focusing on your acne / appearance. But to find

whatever that is people have to decide to care

less about their skin and decide to not mope

around so much and get out there and into life. I

do think a lot of it comes down to how you think

and what you choose to do or not do.

Yea your probably right, but I just feel like if you accept it then it's kind of like surrendering and I'd rather die before doing that shit. just my opinion.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 10/19/2012 12:22 am

Yea your probably right, but I just feel like if you accept it then it's kind of like surrendering and I'd rather die before doing that shit. just my opinion.

Yeah I know what you mean. But I don't think of it as accepting acne but rather accepting yourself regardless of acne and still enjoying life. Doesn't mean you stop treating acne or whatever but just shift your focus so you don't miss out on life.

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 10/19/2012 12:31 am

I think you can be happy. Especially if you find

something in life that you like / enjoy - it can be

anything that distracts you from constantly

focusing on your acne / appearance. But to find

whatever that is people have to decide to care

less about their skin and decide to not mope

around so much and get out there and into life. I

do think a lot of it comes down to how you think

and what you choose to do or not do.

imo being depressed about it is more like surrendering, i mean its not like anyone can help it but its like letting acne stop you from living. yup just my two cents hahah

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 10/19/2012 12:44 am

imo being depressed about it is more like surrendering, i mean its not like anyone can help it but its like letting acne stop you from living. yup just my two cents hahah

True about it being like letting acne stop you from living - but at the same time not everyone is just choosing to be depressed and down about it. If someone is actually depressed (opposed to someone just sitting around feeling sorry for themselves) I'd suggest that they are seeking professional help and trying to do something about it if they can.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/19/2012 12:51 am

Life isn't fair.

I think the sooner we get that the happier we'll be.

And not to jump in a religious topic or anything.. but if it were not for my faith then id be Miserable.

I cant imagine living life thinking "This is it".

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/19/2012 4:36 am

How can you be happy when you feel like shit every single day and you've tried everything and you can't look people in the eye because they keep staring at your acne and you try to cover the sides of your face with your hair & you're too insecure to put up your hair because all your jaw acne and cheek acne and everything will show as Stan out. Not to mention walking in the halls an people staring at my face & I can just taste all the judgment to me, especially the younger kids. Nobody understands.

I tell you how.

I am assuming that because you are able to come on here and post on this website you have the following.

A roof over your head, you know when your next meal will be, you at least have enough money to afford a computer and internet connection or some form of smartphone, you have been educated and have at least some basic form of medical care at your disposal,

There are people in the world with far less fortunate than any of us here.

Now i don't to sound unsympathetic, ive had acne for 16 years i know how it can't affect people mentally. But take into account everything you have compared to what you don't have. Now really ask yourself if you really got it THAT bad?

Society tells us we have to be perfect but we are a race of imperfect people. How the hell could we ever hope to achieve perfection. We need to disregard the basic assumptions of society and start to evolve.

If i start to feel down then i quickly remind myself of all of the above. That keeps me happy because things could be a whole lot worse.