Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Have Issues With Peanut Butter Breaking Them Out?

MemberMember
(@loladiamonds)

Posted : 10/13/2012 12:46 am

so i was web browsing some acne related stuff when i came across a claim that peanuts actually have a connection to causing breakouts.

"peanut butter and wheat germ all contain androgen hormones that increase your oil production and cause breakouts."

saw this on [Removed]

any experience? i'm such a fan of PB... I'll be heart broken

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 10/13/2012 4:57 pm

Yes.

MemberMember
(@loladiamonds)

Posted : 10/13/2012 6:19 pm

Yes.

really? UGH. i think it might be a trigger of mine too. I had peanut butter mixed in with some ice cream (i know, i know, i shouldn't have) the next morning i woke up to a very tender cystic pimple on the lower right side beneath my mouth =[

its basically kept me in all weekend...

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 10/13/2012 6:44 pm

Yes.

really? UGH. i think it might be a trigger of mine too. I had peanut butter mixed in with some ice cream (i know, i know, i shouldn't have) the next morning i woke up to a very tender cystic pimple on the lower right side beneath my mouth =[

its basically kept me in all weekend...

Yea I was clear for about a month and I decided to eat a waffle with some peanut butter and got cysts on my face the next day. It's so fuckin good but I don't want my face to look like shit so I try to stay away from it.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/14/2012 3:10 am

Peanuts are a common allergen. I've never heard of them containing androgenic properties, however it's possible.

Have you tried switching to purely organic peanut butter with no added ingredients? Most brands of peanut butter have a lot of hydrogenated oils, added sugar, and soy from the manufacturing process. Soy is another big allergen.

Allergy to soy is one of the most common food allergies allergy, with many more people having soy intolerance. Despite all the noise about peanuts, and the fact that soy and soy byproducts are found in over 60% of foods, ranging from canned poultry to mayonnaise to shortening to vegetable oil and peanut butter, soy is rarely mentioned as an allergen, food companies and restaurants haven't a clue, and people just get sicker. And that's besides soy's phytoestrogens (some of the highly touted isoflavones) which pose a risk to women who should not be increasing their natural estrogen level, and soy's iodine-binding capacity which affects thyroid function and the millions of people with thyroid disease.
MemberMember
(@loladiamonds)

Posted : 10/14/2012 8:49 am

Peanuts are a common allergen. I've never heard of them containing androgenic properties, however it's possible.

Have you tried switching to purely organic peanut butter with no added ingredients? Most brands of peanut butter have a lot of hydrogenated oils, added sugar, and soy from the manufacturing process. Soy is another big allergen.

Allergy to soy is one of the most common food allergies allergy, with many more people having soy intolerance. Despite all the noise about peanuts, and the fact that soy and soy byproducts are found in over 60% of foods, ranging from canned poultry to mayonnaise to shortening to vegetable oil and peanut butter, soy is rarely mentioned as an allergen, food companies and restaurants haven't a clue, and people just get sicker. And that's besides soy's phytoestrogens (some of the highly touted isoflavones) which pose a risk to women who should not be increasing their natural estrogen level, and soy's iodine-binding capacity which affects thyroid function and the millions of people with thyroid disease.

yeah I might just go to the Whole Foods shop and take a look at the organic brands. thanks for responding =]

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/14/2012 6:01 pm

You can also try nut butters which are not legumes( like peanut butter). Almond butter is delish!

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/15/2012 9:31 am

In the growing of peanuts lots of pesticides are used, whereas organic peanut butter will have no pesticides in it. I don't know if pesticides affect acne, but eating organic might help.

MemberMember
(@loladiamonds)

Posted : 10/15/2012 10:35 am

In the growing of peanuts lots of pesticides are used, whereas organic peanut butter will have no pesticides in it. I don't know if pesticides affect acne, but eating organic might help.

Thanks! I'm going to pick some up today. I have a craving I must satisfy. hifive.gif