Notifications
Clear all

Are Chemical Peels And Smoothbeam Worth Doing?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 10/12/2012 2:06 pm

I went to my derm yesterday and he recommended the medical grade chemical peels performed by the nurses for hyperpigmentation, and smoothbeam laser for acne and scarring. I am mostly concerned with scarring - I have a bumpy, wrinkly texture to my skin after years of acne which is my biggest concern. It's not really atrophic or hypertrophic. There are some very old threads where people are claiming success with smoothbeam for scarring, although I know the general wisdom is that non-ablative lasers do not work. I found out my insurance covers these procedures. So I am wondering whether there is any potential benefit for scarring/texture - since this is essentially free for me and I am desparate for any improvement. Appreciate any input!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/12/2012 3:29 pm

I went to my derm yesterday and he recommended the medical grade chemical peels performed by the nurses for hyperpigmentation, and smoothbeam laser for acne and scarring. I am mostly concerned with scarring - I have a bumpy, wrinkly texture to my skin after years of acne which is my biggest concern. It's not really atrophic or hypertrophic. There are some very old threads where people are claiming success with smoothbeam for scarring, although I know the general wisdom is that non-ablative lasers do not work. I found out my insurance covers these procedures. So I am wondering whether there is any potential benefit for scarring/texture - since this is essentially free for me and I am desparate for any improvement. Appreciate any input!

The laser is worth it, the chemical peels are not, for that type of scarring.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 10/12/2012 3:40 pm

The laser is worth it, the chemical peels are not, for that type of scarring.

Thanks Green Gables! Can you elaborate on why you think smoothbeam is worth it for my type of scarring?