Notifications
Clear all

Open Wound - Help Please

MemberMember
(@ceebee25)

Posted : 10/12/2012 2:04 pm

Hi everyone, I'd be really grateful if someone could help me out with my problem.

On a day to day basis, I only suffer with mild acne (usually blackheads/a few whiteheads) since changing my birth controll pill I've had not as many problems with cystic acne like I used to. But the other day, I woke up with a huge tender painful cyst on my chin sad.png

I know I shouldn't have, but I went into panic mode and tried to pop the cyst with a needle after applying heat to it. I know I'm wrong in doing this, and I'm paying for it now sad.png I had to re-pop the cyst yesterday as it developed a small head, but since then it doesn't seem to be healing at all. It's still a bright red, oozing open wound. I applied some antibiotic cream last night before bed but woke up this morning with still an open wound with a slight yellowish crust covering it. To me, it looks infected and I'm beginning to get worried.

I'm currently living in Canada for a year (I'm from England) so I don't have a derm or a doctor I can visit, a walk in clinic would cost me a lot of money. So is there anything I can purchase over the counter to try and heal this thing up? I've had a band aid over it for a couple of hours but when I take it off the band aid is covered in lymph fluid (sorry for the gross details)

I've heard things about anti fungal medication for open cystic wounds, could this help me? Or an oral pill to help infection maybe? Or just keep washing it at night and keeping it covered with an antiseptic cream? Please help.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/12/2012 3:12 pm

Really the best thing to do is to leave it alone. Keep a bandaid on it and apply Neosporin once or twice a day. Panic on top of more panic won't help it heal any faster.

MemberMember
(@ceebee25)

Posted : 10/12/2012 3:46 pm

Really the best thing to do is to leave it alone. Keep a bandaid on it and apply Neosporin once or twice a day. Panic on top of more panic won't help it heal any faster.

I have a band aid over it right now with some antibiotic cream on it. The wound has developed a thin yellow-ish scab but it still seems like there is a lot of pus under the top layer of skin :( I don't want to squeeze it though and damage it even more. Will the pus or whatever it is go away as the wound heals itself?

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/12/2012 4:36 pm

Yes it will go away on its own. It will begin to shrink in size as the inflammation goes away. Take zinc and l- Lysine to help speed up the process. Lay off the squeezing and popping. Irritation like this can cause scaring. Be careful and Goodluck!

MemberMember
(@wrongtiming)

Posted : 10/12/2012 5:30 pm

the same thing happened to me last night! :( except its on my forhead. i used aquaphor and now i see a brown scab forming around the edges...so i dont think mine is infected because it's not yellow. just use aquaphor and it should disappear at most in 2 weeks!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/12/2012 7:51 pm

I have a band aid over it right now with some antibiotic cream on it. The wound has developed a thin yellow-ish scab but it still seems like there is a lot of pus under the top layer of skin sad.png I don't want to squeeze it though and damage it even more. Will the pus or whatever it is go away as the wound heals itself?

If it already has a whitehead, it's okay to gentle scrape that off with a tissue, just don't squeeze anything.

MemberMember
(@girl11)

Posted : 10/12/2012 9:46 pm

Polysporin should help if its infected. I had a blackhead I squeezed last year bad which I guess I didn't get out. It scabbed but ended up behind a weird thin red scab that when it came off a coupld dats later, there was pus that oozed out. After that, I kept polysporin on it 24/7 for days and it got better. Polysporin helps it heal faster and helps it not scar as bad.

MemberMember
(@sienn)

Posted : 08/22/2016 5:49 am

I know this post is old but wanted to share my experience recently to help anyone trawling the internet for an answer like I was a few days ago. So I had a deep pimple that I should have just left alone, it wasn't even that red. Anyway I kept messing around with it until it became an open wound about a centimeter wide. I was desperate to get rid of it quickly so tried a combination of things I read and found an incredible combination. So first of all moist-healing is the way to go! I would apply tea-tree oil (helps heal faster, antiseptic) with a cotton bud, let the actual oil dry (to prevent any burns from the oil, only takes about 15 seconds) then cover it with Vaseline and put and keep a band-aid on it at all times. Do this twice a day. (if it starts drying out in the middle of the day just put more Vaseline and again a band-aid) A scab shouldn't form. Don't touch it, don't include it in your cleansing routine, just forget about it. After 3 days it was looking like it was almost ready, much harder to keep wet. I could have kept going but was going out last night. To have a smooth removal of the remnants of the wound I got an egg white, whisked it and applied it to my face. You then get some tissues, pull the layers apart and stick it on your face using the egg white as glue. Then apply more egg white and another tissue. I usually do 3 layers and then wait until it's totally dry and pull it off, afterwards rinsing my face with mildy warm water. My skin absolutely loves it and the wound too apparently. It left behind pink skin that is showing no indication of scarring. I use an egg white mask once a week and it tones the skin and takes away redness. Make sure you moisturise after though as it dries your skin. A long post I know but I hope this helps someone out there! Good luck!

Ps. I've started using black seed oil (Nigella sativa) cold pressed %100 on any redness and after it dries moisturising and it seems to be really effective.

FitLard liked