Notifications
Clear all

Which Store Brand Moisturizer Are You Using?

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/12/2012 8:31 am

Hi everyone,

Dan and I are wanting to update the store brand moisturizer recommendations. We just are not completely thrilled with the ones we have here: http://www.acne.org/acne-products-guide.html

Is there anything better out there that you have tried and find works well with The Regimen? If so, we want to hear about it. We are wanting to know what you guys are using and specifically we are wanting to find suitable moisturizers that don't have potentially problematic ingredients in them. http://www.acne.org/comedogenic-list.html

Thanks! :)

MemberMember
(@skinnyminnie)

Posted : 10/12/2012 10:07 am

I use Neutrogena for Sensitive Skin. Been using it for years and never had a problem. It's a little pricey though, 8-10 bucks a bottle depending on where you get it.

There are two downsides, though. One, it's probably not the best for people with really dry skin. And two, there's no SPF. They DO have a Neutrogena with SPF however.

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/oil-free+moisture+-+sensitive+skin.do

Here are all the types of this moisturizer (sensitive skin, SPF 15, SPF 35, combo skin):

http://www.neutrogena.com/category/moisturizers/oil-free+moisture.do

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/12/2012 3:20 pm

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion.

CeraVe includes ceramides, hyaluronic acid,and essential emollients. It is $12, so an affordable price point. It is stocked pretty much everywhere.

It is kind of like Cetaphil in that it caters to acne sufferers and people wanting gentle, simple products, but honestly it really outdoes Cetaphil in the ingredients it uses and the effectiveness of the formulation. CeraVe soaks into the skin much better than Cetaphil. It used to be prescription-only because of its patented time-released multivescular emulsion mechanism.

CeraVe also has a CeraVe AM which is its moisturizer combined with 30 SPF. It is one of the most cosmetically elegant sunscreens I have ever used.

CeraVe PM adds niacinamide to the formula. This has a great NOTICEABLE redness reducing effect for people on benzoyl peroxide. Niacinamide is also in the AM formula, but not in the basic Moisturizing Lotion for those who don't want the extra ingredient.

From their site:

How CeraVe® Works

What makes CeraVe Skincare products so remarkable is that they work to help restore and maintain the skin barrier ” the skin™s natural protective function.

What else makes CeraVe so special?

CeraVe is the only skincare line with unique, patented Multivesicular Emulsion (MVE®) delivery technology which used to be available only in prescription formulations

CeraVe contains special skin-nurturing and protective ingredients including essential ceramides that moisturize and soften skin and help to repair and maintain the skin barrier

CeraVe was developed with dermatologists to help skin barrier repair in conditions such as eczema, psoriasis & dry skin

CeraVe can be used alone or may complement certain topical medications used for eczema, psoriasis, acne, & rosacea

CeraVe offers therapeutic benefits without a prescription ” and an elegant formulation with essential ceramides ” at an affordable price

The Role of MVE® Technology

your_time1.jpg

The unique, patented Multivesicular Emulsion (MVE®) delivery technology in CeraVe Skincare products provides multiple layers of skin-nurturing and protective ingredients to the skin slowly over time.

The advanced MVE® delivery technology in CeraVe® ensures that these ingredients”including essential ceramides, hyaluronic acid and emollients, that moisturize and soften skin”penetrate deeply into the skin to hydrate and nourish. It is also designed to allow for continued absorption of these ingredients throughout the day while œlocking in precious moisture.

This means that CeraVe® Skincare products keep working to help restore and maintain the natural protective function of the skin barrier long after you apply them.

Other Products with MVE® Technology

Unique, patented MVE® delivery technology is only available in products from CORIA Laboratories. Importantly, MVE® delivery technology is designed to compliment the therapeutic effect of a medication.

MVE® is a registered trademark of Healthpoint, Ltd., and used under license

The Role of Niacinamide

Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) has been clinically proven to boost the skin™s natural production of ceramides and essential fatty acids for barrier repair. Niacinamide also helps repair DNA damage from sun exposure and helps to improve fine lines and wrinkles.

Niacinamide is contained in CeraVe® Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM and CeraVe® Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM with SPF 30.

The Role of Hyaluronic Acid

CeraVe® also contains hyaluronic acid (HA), an essential nutrient that allows the skin to hold on to water. It is important to realize that healthy skin contains about 30% water.

HA is necessary to keep skin healthy because it brings water up to the top layer of the skin and ensures that it remains hydrated. Without proper hydration, skin can become dry, cracked and wrinkled.

The Role of Ceramides

Ceramides comprise multiple layers of lipids in the skin and play an essential role in retaining water in the skin. Ceramides play a central role as water regulators primarily because of their abundant presence in the skin and high capacity to prevent water loss. This is why ceramides are so effective in creating a barrier-recovery effect.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 10/13/2012 4:07 pm

I still love Cetaphil. However, I have used CeraVe and I think it's a fantastic moisturizer for people with very dry skin. It was simply too moisturizing for me.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/13/2012 6:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

We've tried all of the Neutrogena oil-free lotions before. None of them really worked well. Will try CeraVe.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/16/2012 3:00 pm

I have a new find, called Neutrogena Multi-Defence Daily Moisturiser SPF 25, there is one for dry skin and one for normal/combination. Despite not being formulated for oily skin, it has great oil control, I think, personally, and I'm very very oily. Probably not the best for sensitive skin but it's frangrance free, and I know it has a few comedogenic ingredients, but it doesn't break me out. I've been using it for a month. Not a great fan of the chemical sunblock but for winter in the UK, chemical block will do.

Ingredients:

Aqua, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Glycerin, Homosalate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Octocrylene, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Cetyl Alcohol, Ilex Paraguariensis Leaf Extract, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Maltodextrin, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-75 Stearate, Ceteth-20, Steareth-20, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Disodium Phosphate, Citric Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/16/2012 3:37 pm

Well my trial with CeraVe ended after 4 days. It congested my pores and my face got progressively more itchy each day. It was really strange.

Keep the suggestions coming! :)

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/16/2012 3:57 pm

Garnier: Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream--- in a short glass jar. It's done wonders. Won't use another.

MemberMember
(@frodnew)

Posted : 11/10/2012 8:29 pm

I use TriDerma Facial Redness Repair which works well, and doesn't clog my pores. I tend to mix it with some jojoba oil when I apply it. They have lots of other products, as well.

MemberMember
(@skinnyminnie)

Posted : 12/20/2012 2:22 pm

We've tried all of the Neutrogena oil-free lotions before. None of them really worked well. Will try CeraVe.

Good, because I take back my suggestion!! I think it's been one of the causes of my whiteheads/blackheads. I use Dan's now!!

MemberMember
(@jj93)

Posted : 01/18/2013 2:02 am

I use Simple's Oil balancing moisturiser, its the white tube with blue print on it, fyi. I really like this stuff, feels substantial, but never never NEVER leaves my face feeling oily. In fact it may be a bit more matte than some expect? But it does a good job of keeping my face feeling balanced, like, not oily, but not paper dry either. After i put this on, I can make funny faces(like you know, 'stretch' my face) and my face will feel really elastic and not dry. Its about SGD$15 at most places (I live in SIngapore) and it's a UK brand, so i'm not sure if its stocked in the US. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative though, maybe clean and clear? Just to stock up at home in case i run out of my usual supply of simple and i can't get any for the time being. Although, I have a weird feeling that the moisturiser, when warmed with my hands, smells kind of like...ham?

http://www.simple.co.uk/products/Clear-Skin-Oil-Balancing-Moisturiser-75ml-16.aspx

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 01/18/2013 1:52 pm

Currently trying shea butter. I've been using it for about three weeks. It has not caused any breakouts. It does, however, give the skin a greasy look. So I am experimenting with different ways to reduce the shine. This is 100% unrefined shea butter. I purchased mine through Amazon.

MemberMember
(@pennypincher)

Posted : 02/02/2013 11:43 am

I'm going to try, The Naked Bee Vitamin C SPF 30 Moisturizer:

http://www.amazon.com/THE-Naked-BEE-Vitamin-Moisturizer/dp/B007MF8846/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359823014&sr=8-1&keywords=the+naked+bee+c

I think that a vitamin c + SPF is certainly something you need in your moisturizer! Getting rid of dark spots + keeping them off is something that I need for the DK system!

MemberMember
(@angel143)

Posted : 02/08/2013 3:33 am

I have combination skin, it's dry on some parts and t-zone is really oily. I'm currently using Olay but the oiliness and dryness are still there. I think I'm going to try Cetaphil, the Neutrogena oil-free lotions before, but it just doesn't work for me.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 02/08/2013 3:53 pm

We did recently test out and add Neutrogena Oil-Free Combination Skin Lotion to our list of recommended products. It has no pore clogging ingredients and seems to work well.

MemberMember
(@mrslevell2be)

Posted : 02/26/2013 8:42 pm

I love my CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. its creamy but it doesnt clog my pores. i use it for my night regime.

MemberMember
(@mrslevell2be)

Posted : 02/26/2013 9:15 pm

my Avene 50+ facial moisturizer also worked really well for me.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/04/2013 3:52 am

I use Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel in the AM. It's pretty expensive but it does last me about 3-4 months. I pair it with Celeteque Anti-Wrinkle Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15 (I think this a local brand from the Philippines, not sure if this is sold elsewhere).

At night I use my Cetaphil Lotion.