Notifications
Clear all

An Explanation Would Be Dandy!

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 10/11/2012 5:33 pm

So i was free from acne for the first time in years.... for about a week. Building up to that week i had mild acne occasionally. So heres whats going on;

I'm on the gut diet, strictly- 3 months

i've been on accutane for 7 months but didnt finish. I stopped taking the pills 3 weeks ago.

I do eat a lot of fermented dairy, but i'm almost certain this is not an issue for me.

I eat a lot of fruit, which has proven to be fairly harmless.

The whole breakout nightmare started when i didn't sleep at all a week ago, but why am i still breaking out? i'm not even stressed.

I hate the superstition these breakouts bring about, i don't know whats safe to eat! I was thinking it was the processed meats i've been eating ( always organic) but i've never had a problem with it before.

So what would cause this sudden flare up? Can these things be random? I literally cannot fathom anything worse than going back to severe acne, i would rather give up my first born child.

What things caused flare ups for you? Apart from the obvious trigger of course.

I've never had this type of acne before, i used to have cysts and big spots, now i have very small and fairly flat ( non inflammed) spots across my face. WHY???!!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/11/2012 6:56 pm

Hmmmm. No one can say for sure. Our bodies are constantly changing. At this point, what you can do is get a skin care regimen that works for you. If flare ups are mild, a retinoid might help get and keep you clear, eat healthy (maybe less grains, more veggies), sleep more, stress less and see where it goes. What works for one person may not work for another

Why did you stop accutane btw?

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 10/12/2012 1:18 pm

Caveman means no grains, accutane wasn't for me, i wanted to fic the underlying cause.

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 10/12/2012 2:06 pm

So i was free from acne for the first time in years.... for about a week. Building up to that week i had mild acne occasionally. So heres whats going on;

I'm on the gut diet, strictly- 3 months

i've been on accutane for 7 months but didnt finish. I stopped taking the pills 3 weeks ago.

I do eat a lot of fermented dairy, but i'm almost certain this is not an issue for me.

I eat a lot of fruit, which has proven to be fairly harmless.

The whole breakout nightmare started when i didn't sleep at all a week ago, but why am i still breaking out? i'm not even stressed.

I hate the superstition these breakouts bring about, i don't know whats safe to eat! I was thinking it was the processed meats i've been eating ( always organic) but i've never had a problem with it before.

So what would cause this sudden flare up? Can these things be random? I literally cannot fathom anything worse than going back to severe acne, i would rather give up my first born child.

What things caused flare ups for you? Apart from the obvious trigger of course.

I've never had this type of acne before, i used to have cysts and big spots, now i have very small and fairly flat ( non inflammed) spots across my face. WHY???!!

If it happened after not sleeping at all, that could be a clue.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/12/2012 2:26 pm

I'd say that you are probably adjusting from the changes in your body coming off Accutane, if I had to guess. I've been experiencing a lot of the same thing over the past year since I stopped using BP on my face (used it every day, morning and night for about 5-6 years before that). These medications really change our body and skin, especially something internal like Accutane. If it were me, I'd stay on your gut-healing path and give your body some time to adjust from coming off those pills. Don't start to panic and think your acne will come back like it was before. You've changed and healed a lot since then! Have hope. :)

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 10/12/2012 4:57 pm

Have you done an elimination diet without the potentially problematic foods? I had to slowly reintroduce dairy after having it out for maybe 2-3 months or so, because at the start, even ghee seemed to give me issues. Now I can handle considerable amounts of goat kefir, ghee, and butter! I got small bumps usually when its dairy related acne, but that doesn't mean it's the same for you. I figured it was worth a mention though! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 10/13/2012 8:45 am

Have you done an elimination diet without the potentially problematic foods? I had to slowly reintroduce dairy after having it out for maybe 2-3 months or so, because at the start, even ghee seemed to give me issues. Now I can handle considerable amounts of goat kefir, ghee, and butter! I got small bumps usually when its dairy related acne, but that doesn't mean it's the same for you. I figured it was worth a mention though! Good luck!

i didn't even touch diary, gluten, sugary foods or anything remotely unhealthy when i had moderate to severe acne and that was for 6 months. It was still just as bad. Dairy just doesn't seem to be an issue for me, but i guess i only eat fermented diary. I'm fine with getting a few spots occasionally, it's just i get scared when i don't know whats caused my acne. I haven't even started to apply any topicals at all, so there are still prospects of getting rid of it for good hopefully.

MemberMember
(@anb1998)

Posted : 10/31/2012 9:21 pm

Its probably because you didn't sleep then you brokeout and the breakout caused you stress that you didn't even know about.