Notifications
Clear all

Is There A Protein Shake That Does Not Cause Acne?

MemberMember
(@mindwitch)

Posted : 10/10/2012 8:44 pm

i'm looking to gain weight in my derriere. i don't want to eat a whole bunch of junk food to do it. so i was wondering if anyone could reccomend a protein shake that i can use to help gain weight but won't effect my acne.

MemberMember
(@dreamingofclearskin2011)

Posted : 10/10/2012 9:07 pm

dont use shakes all mixes i found to break me out. heres how to gain weight fast. eat 5-6 meals a day and make sure they are all MEAT dinner time eat plenty of vegetables wiht meat and fruit as snacks. thats it. try not to eat pasta and rice unless its brown rice and 100% whole wheat pasta. but i try to eat double of what i would normally eat per meal and eventually it just grew on me where i was hungry alot all the time and i gained weight great for muscle without anymore mixes THANK GOD cause acne made me skinny i stoped eating and drinking everything i used to for weight gaining. good luck man

MemberMember
(@mindwitch)

Posted : 10/10/2012 9:27 pm

i can't afford to buy so much meat products. i was really hoping someone would know of a acne free protein shake.:{

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 10/11/2012 1:59 am

There are a few different sources of protein shakes. There's plant protein shakes, such as pea protein, soy protein, hemp protein, and rice protein. For meat-based protein, there's egg protein shakes, and whey protein of course. I chose pea protein because it is hypoallergenic. I don't think a whey protein shake would break people out, but plant-based shakes are always a healthy alternative that should not break you out.

MemberMember
(@electthedead01)

Posted : 10/11/2012 2:15 am

Eat avocados, that's what I did to gain weight, I was eating 3 a day at one time lol but they are a lil expensive, still though, I eat 2 a day now. :)

And they super healthy for you too, without containing a lot of omega 6s

MemberMember
(@mindwitch)

Posted : 10/11/2012 6:52 am

There are a few different sources of protein shakes. There's plant protein shakes, such as pea protein, soy protein, hemp protein, and rice protein. For meat-based protein, there's egg protein shakes, and whey protein of course. I chose pea protein because it is hypoallergenic. I don't think a whey protein shake would break people out, but plant-based shakes are always a healthy alternative that should not break you out.

does pea protein and these vegatable proteins actuallly allow you to gain a lot of weight? i heard that people breakout from whey protein so i'n scared to try it.

Eat avocados, that's what I did to gain weight, I was eating 3 a day at one time lol but they are a lil expensive, still though, I eat 2 a day now. smile.png

And they super healthy for you too, without containing a lot of omega 6s

i can't do expensive i'm on a budget.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/11/2012 9:12 am

i'm looking to gain weight in my derriere. i don't want to eat a whole bunch of junk food to do it. so i was wondering if anyone could reccomend a protein shake that i can use to help gain weight but won't effect my acne.

Shakes should only be used a supplement and they won't necessarily help you gain.

Eat real nutrient dense foods.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 10/11/2012 11:00 am

Eat spirulina. It's 70% protein by weight, compared to beef at 20%.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 10/11/2012 11:38 am

does pea protein and these vegatable proteins actuallly allow you to gain a lot of weight? i heard that people breakout from whey protein so i'n scared to try it.

Well it's all about how many calories you take in. A protein shake is an easy way to get some calories from protein, but you can get those calories from real food as well. A protein shake is really only for convenience. If you want to gain weight, you should eat a lot of real food too. Just make sure you're getting an excess of calories. 3000 calories a day should work for most people.

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 10/11/2012 1:54 pm

How about boiled eggs? I always eat 2 to 3 after my work out and it does not cause me to break out. I only eat the yolk of one of them, the rest are only the whites.

MemberMember
(@mindwitch)

Posted : 10/11/2012 2:52 pm

Well it's all about how many calories you take in. A protein shake is an easy way to get some calories from protein, but you can get those calories from real food as well. A protein shake is really only for convenience. If you want to gain weight, you should eat a lot of real food too. Just make sure you're getting an excess of calories. 3000 calories a day should work for most people.

well i still plan on eating the same foods i do. i was just hoping that the pea protein shake would help me gain weight.

Eat spirulina. It's 70% protein by weight, compared to beef at 20%.

will it help me get fat?

How about boiled eggs? I always eat 2 to 3 after my work out and it does not cause me to break out. I only eat the yolk of one of them, the rest are only the whites.

i already eat eggs.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 10/12/2012 12:18 pm

well i still plan on eating the same foods i do. i was just hoping that the pea protein shake would help me gain weight.

It depends on how many calories you eat. If you're serious about gaining weight, start counting your calories, and make sure you get around 3000 calories a day. When I started counting my calories, I was surprised to find out that I was only getting 2000, and I had to adjust my diet for that.

MemberMember
(@outofoptions)

Posted : 10/12/2012 8:19 pm

Protein shakes are basically the last thing you need when trying to gain weight. They are designed to be low-calorie and protein rich. Far more useful for someone looking to lose weight and keep protein intake high to avoid muscle loss. To put it simply:

Person A eats 2,000 calories + 5 protein shakes (600cal) totaling 2,600 daily calories

Person B eats 3,000 calories and no protein shakes.

Person B will gain more weight. Pretty simple. Unless you are bodybuilding you don;t need large amounts of protein daily. Just make sure to get some protein source with every meal, plus plenty of fat and carbs for calories. Protein is the most satiating type of food, meaning it will make you feel full. If you want to gain weight you want to avoid excess protein.

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 10/15/2012 4:12 am

Protein powders are a bit problematic for acne. Most protein powders increase insulin and IGF-1 levels. Depending on what causes your acne, this could be a problem.

Sometime ago I looked at studies on protein powders and acne. Most of the research was done using whey/casein and soy protein powders. Most studies show at least short-term increase in IGF-1 levels. Some longer studies also showed long-term increase in IGF-1 levels. You can read more here: http://www.acneeinstein.com/whey-protein-acne/

To my knowledge there's no data on other types of protein powders. But I would guess they have similar effect on the body.

But this doesn't necessarily mean protein powders cause acne for you. It really depends on what your acne reacts to. If it's more inflammatory in nature you can probably get away with protein powders. But if your acne reacts to sugar, carbohydrates or milk, then protein powders could be a problem.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/15/2012 3:05 pm

Love this post

Just one thing wrong with it.

"3000 cals works for most people"

That is a generic statement and no it doesn't work for most people.

I would argue to get true gains finding the right foods to eat in the balanced quantities is the way to go. It is true to gain muscle one has to over feed but why 3000 cals? Why not 2,700? Surely with the proper training and fuel source one could gain muscle on 2,700 assuming the maintenance weight is 2,500 a day?

Protein powders are a bit problematic for acne. Most protein powders increase insulin and IGF-1 levels. Depending on what causes your acne, this could be a problem.

Sometime ago I looked at studies on protein powders and acne. Most of the research was done using whey/casein and soy protein powders. Most studies show at least short-term increase in IGF-1 levels. Some longer studies also showed long-term increase in IGF-1 levels. You can read more here: http://www.acneeinst...y-protein-acne/

To my knowledge there's no data on other types of protein powders. But I would guess they have similar effect on the body.

But this doesn't necessarily mean protein powders cause acne for you. It really depends on what your acne reacts to. If it's more inflammatory in nature you can probably get away with protein powders. But if your acne reacts to sugar, carbohydrates or milk, then protein powders could be a problem.

I believe there are a lot of other ingredients in protein shakes that could possibly cause people to have an reaction.

As you say it is different for everyone but until every angle as been examined in these studies than we can't just blame it on whey protein.

MemberMember
(@mindwitch)

Posted : 10/15/2012 3:34 pm

Protein shakes are basically the last thing you need when trying to gain weight. They are designed to be low-calorie and protein rich. Far more useful for someone looking to lose weight and keep protein intake high to avoid muscle loss. To put it simply:

Person A eats 2,000 calories + 5 protein shakes (600cal) totaling 2,600 daily calories

Person B will gain more weight. Pretty simple. Unless you are bodybuilding you don;t need large amounts of protein daily. Just make sure to get some protein source with every meal, plus plenty of fat and carbs for calories. Protein is the most satiating type of food, meaning it will make you feel full. If you want to gain weight you want to avoid excess protein.

so is there a way to get fat without eatings loads of food? like drinking a whole bottle of coconut oil?

MemberMember
(@tootsler)

Posted : 10/15/2012 3:38 pm

I make smoothies with PlantFusion (Removed) and it does not break me out. I mix it with water, flax seeds, banana, frozen berries and some coconut oil.

MemberMember
(@outofoptions)

Posted : 10/15/2012 7:43 pm

so is there a way to get fat without eatings loads of food? like drinking a whole bottle of coconut oil?

Sure. When I'm bulking I make smoothies with a can of coconut milk, frozen fruit, and juice in it. Easy calories.

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 10/16/2012 11:01 pm

I believe there are a lot of other ingredients in protein shakes that could possibly cause people to have an reaction.

As you say it is different for everyone but until every angle as been examined in these studies than we can't just blame it on whey protein.

Technically correct, but not very helpful in real-life. We probably never have all the angles examined in studies, at least not in the next 10 years. What we need is to look at the data at hand now and the assessment based on it. Here's what we know. 1) Milk and whey increase insulin and IGF-1 levels, 2) It looks like those who regularly take protein powders have higher resting IGF-1 levels, and 3) IGF-1 levels correlate with sebum production and acne - even if this is not true for every acne patient.

Based on this, I think it's reasonable to conclude whey protein and protein powders in general may cause acne. They don't do it for everybody, but it's an angle one should look into.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/17/2012 6:54 am

Technically correct, but not very helpful in real-life. We probably never have all the angles examined in studies, at least not in the next 10 years. What we need is to look at the data at hand now and the assessment based on it. Here's what we know. 1) Milk and whey increase insulin and IGF-1 levels, 2) It looks like those who regularly take protein powders have higher resting IGF-1 levels, and 3) IGF-1 levels correlate with sebum production and acne - even if this is not true for every acne patient.

Based on this, I think it's reasonable to conclude whey protein and protein powders in general may cause acne. They don't do it for everybody, but it's an angle one should look into.

May cause acne? Most people don't touch Whey until they have started going to the gym which is typically at the latter end of the teen years.

I had acne since i was 12 and i stopped drinking milk at 10 years old because i didn't like it. Okay, there is milk in a lot of products.

Wouldn't it be fairer to say it can contribute to acne or aggravate it rather than saying milk and whey causes acne?

MemberMember
(@mindwitch)

Posted : 10/17/2012 7:25 am

Sure. When I'm bulking I make smoothies with a can of coconut milk, frozen fruit, and juice in it. Easy calories.

all that fruit will just aggravate my acne. i have sensitive skin.any other ideas? also has anyone tried hemp protein for weight gain?

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/17/2012 7:34 am

all that fruit will just aggravate my acne. i have sensitive skin.any other ideas? also has anyone tried hemp protein for weight gain?

Eat real nutrient dense foods. A protein shake should be "fast food" for us gym people. It's a convince and not the make or break of progress.

Mix the protein in take up, chicken, turkey, tuna, beef,

Use olive oil and and udos oil to increase dietary fats.

You want to bulk you need to over feed. This doesn't pig out, it simply eat more nutrient dense foods to put you into an energy surplus.