Notifications
Clear all

Retin-A Micro 0.04% Log!

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 10/08/2012 5:42 pm

Okkkkay! so I just wanted to keep a record of my Retin-A Micro journey so I thought this forum would be a suitable place to do so biggrin.png

Let us cut the crap and get to the chase.

20 years old male, with persistent acne since 15ish

Accutane 3 times, acne came back each time (less severe each time, but STILL!!)

Main problem areas are my cheeks... Seriously, other places are pretty much clear!!

now, trying something else... HOPEFULLY THIS ONE IS A KEEPER!!

I was actually on Retin-A Cream .025% before switching over to Micro .04% because even though it was only a month, I could tell it was not strong enough... also I heard bad things about the cream so...

*EDIT: I finally accepted the reality that only the times when I started retin-a micro counts (1.5 month as of 11/11/12). Guess I wanted to count the month that I spent with the cream as an endpoint for me to give up (but in reality I still have few more weeks left before I can surely kick .04% off the curb and try something else)

Week 1 (edited after accepting reality)

switched over to Retin-A Micro and so far I have not seen any major changes. My cheeks have been breaking out consistently since Week 2 of the regimen. Hopefully its just too early to tell...

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 10/10/2012 10:44 pm

Mid-Week 1

BLEHGH BLEGH BLEGH

ugh was not feeling good about myself today at all... kinda wondered if all these clear-skinned people are successful users of Retin-A too? or are they just perfect human beings?

but it's only month 2 so i havent abandoned all hopes and dreams

so yeah my right cheeks flared up quite a bit this week... two large inflamed spots to be exact

and my other cheek had smaller spots but at least its not huge ones!

so yeah. pretty discouraged right now... I just hope that i am making the right investment into this!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/10/2012 11:16 pm

Have you ever thought of trying an antibiotic while using the Retin-A-Micro? I have been on two different antibiotics before and currently am on Minocycline. This usually helps with the initial break out and any break outs after as well. Although, your body can become resistant to antibiotics over time. I just thought, if you haven't already, maybe you could ask your derm about mixing your Retin-A-Micro with an antibiotc. It could help.

I am currently on Minocycline, Spirolactone and Retin A. I had a horrible 3 week break out, but after the 3 weeks my skin is looking pretty good (knock on wood). Today is my 1 month mark for this regimen of mine. I have also been on Accutane once before about five years ago. My acne just recently came back. I have good scarring on my cheeks from afte the Accutane. I suffered from cyctic acne.

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 10/11/2012 9:29 am

I didn't stop breaking out until the middle of week 10. Breaking out for the full 12 weeks is expected, so please don't give up until you've at least gone through the 3 months. I also saw that you just switched from the cream to the gel. So really, you've only been on the new medication for about a week, right?

If you're anything like me, those pimples will come out smaller and smaller until they simply don't come at all. Just be gentle with your face and try not to irritate it as much as possible. My dermatologist told me to keep the irritation minimal (as this can cause flare ups) and to use the medication for 3 months before saying it didn't work.

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 10/11/2012 3:11 pm

Have you ever thought of trying an antibiotic while using the Retin-A-Micro? I have been on two different antibiotics before and currently am on Minocycline. This usually helps with the initial break out and any break outs after as well. Although, your body can become resistant to antibiotics over time. I just thought, if you haven't already, maybe you could ask your derm about mixing your Retin-A-Micro with an antibiotc. It could help.

I am currently on Minocycline, Spirolactone and Retin A. I had a horrible 3 week break out, but after the 3 weeks my skin is looking pretty good (knock on wood). Today is my 1 month mark for this regimen of mine. I have also been on Accutane once before about five years ago. My acne just recently came back. I have good scarring on my cheeks from afte the Accutane. I suffered from cyctic acne.

Yes I did actually consider asking my doc to put me on antibiotics while my skin is doing its nasty thang, but I heard there's an initial breakout period for antibiotics as well (?!?!!!??) so I didn't want to risk my face just blowing up so I decided against it. I do wonder if it would have worked though, but antibiotics also make my stomach queasy and stuff sooooooo.... but thanks for your input!!

I didn't stop breaking out until the middle of week 10. Breaking out for the full 12 weeks is expected, so please don't give up until you've at least gone through the 3 months. I also saw that you just switched from the cream to the gel. So really, you've only been on the new medication for about a week, right?

If you're anything like me, those pimples will come out smaller and smaller until they simply don't come at all. Just be gentle with your face and try not to irritate it as much as possible. My dermatologist told me to keep the irritation minimal (as this can cause flare ups) and to use the medication for 3 months before saying it didn't work.

yeah technically i've been on Micro for a week and its pretty much hell. my good left side is now acting up like an angry preteen... but thanks for your encouragement for reals!! i've been feeling discouraged for awhile so i needed that kick in the bum!

MemberMember
(@aprilmay)

Posted : 10/11/2012 11:36 pm

I broke out until the third month or so, it sucks but its bringing up all the clogged pores. Thinking about it like a "detox" might make it easier. Retin-a works as a long term solution! You can do it! Also try to find a good moisturizer for the flakiness and dry patches, IMO flaky skin makes zits more noticeable. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 10/16/2012 12:12 am

Week 2

WELP its the beginning of my 2nd week... man has it already been two months?!

anyways last week I had about four or five major bumps that had the white gunks waiting to get squeezed out.... and i totally caved :/

but yeah for now, I only have three small red bumps on the lower forehead... my cheeks are pretty much clear right now!! (KNOCK ON WOOD)

I think I am slowly adjusting to the higher strength (.02% to .04%) because my flakiness has subsided a little. And my face feels less irritated.

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 10/20/2012 6:34 pm

End of Week 2

I feel like my skin is finally getting the hang of this thing! I don't feel itchy anymore and i only had about two small bumps throughout the week!

one odd thing I noticed is that ever since i started retin-a, i've been getting pimples in the most randomest places, like on my neck. I never EVER got them there before and I only applied retin-a on my face. does this medication actually circulate through your body? (thats kind of unsettling)

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 10/22/2012 11:09 pm

Week 3

Right cheek broke out with two new inflamed spots... ughhh as soon as I got my hopes up :/

It could have been the stressful weekend that contributed... I just want to find something else to blame than Retin-A possibly not working for me!! arghhh

anyways, it's only been two months... i suppose it's too soon to tell!

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 10/28/2012 11:27 pm

End of Week 3

So I feel like my skin is back to square one... I had three big pimples forming on my cheek today out of nowhere! Argh I wish they went away as fast as they came!

I've been SUPER tempted to add BP or AHA just so I could try something else, but I'll never know if its Retin-A works or if its BP or AHA if my skin ends up clearing up.

Only reason I'm really concerned about it is because I am a big believer in all-natural approach, which means only using minimal and absolutely necessary amount of medicines. If Retin-A does end up clearing my skin on its own, I wouldn't want to add any other stuff you know? This is also the reason why I will stay on 0.04% strength unless its necessary to bump up to the full 0.1% dose...

but seriously. I hope 0.04% is THE one....

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 11/04/2012 12:05 am

end of Week 4!!

things were looking up in the beginning of the week. my face was relatively clear, with two or three active zits that were pretty small

but then the weekend came around, and five-seven new pimples came out of nowhere and ambushed me!! ERR!!

anyways, it hasn't been three months YET, so I will persist until then. If i'm not clear by third month mark (week 12), I will revisit my doctor and discuss my options

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 11/11/2012 10:41 pm

End of Week 5

I think things are getting better! I am getting less and less frequent inflamed breakouts. At the beginning of the week I had tons of bumps underneath my skin (mostly cheek), but they started to surface and i know I'm not supposed to pick them, but I was able to kinda mine the solid thing out of the pore with ease!

Still tons of redmarks. I'm gonna start AHA as soon as my skin is about 95% under control (so I would know whatever I'm adding is gonna make me break out or not. HOPEFULLY NOT!)

all in all, I'm pretty hopeful for what's to come!! (only if it's not more acne!)

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 11/16/2012 10:03 pm

End of Week 6

okay well i've been getting odd pimples here and there once again... it's weird because i was pretty much clear throughout the week!

i'm really getting tired of this indecisive skin of mine... i am really really tempted to just start adding BP and AHA and whatever to get this done with!!

seriously though, is Retin-A Micro alone going to prevent future breakouts?? would a higher strength even be more effective??

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 11/25/2012 2:37 am

Week 8

whoops I forgot to update last week! I was too busy eating and stuff!

anyways today marks EXACTLY 2 MONTHS from my Day 1 of REM 0.04%!

unfortunately, not everything is EXACTLY perfect, as I still have some odd pimples on my cheeks... it just feels like im not progressing at all!

i ordered Dan's AHA because my skin flakes about twice a week (whats the reason??) and I have lots of dark spots on my cheeks

im also hoping AHA will be a great complimentary addition to hopefully clear me up without bumping up to full strength RAM!

MemberMember
(@fragilesong)

Posted : 12/08/2012 10:15 pm

*bump*

I'm on Doxycycline, Spironolactone and Retin-A Micro (day 9). I'm breaking out awfully, and I can't imagine how bad it would be if I weren't taking an antibiotic...

End of Week 6

okay well i've been getting odd pimples here and there once again... it's weird because i was pretty much clear throughout the week!

i'm really getting tired of this indecisive skin of mine... i am really really tempted to just start adding BP and AHA and whatever to get this done with!!

seriously though, is Retin-A Micro alone going to prevent future breakouts?? would a higher strength even be more effective??

BP, AHA/BHA, etc break down the effectiveness of Retin-A, so you'd be moving way backward if you did that.