Has Anyone Successf...

Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Successfully Got Off The Regimen... Help!

MemberMember
(@kitkat123345)

Posted : 10/08/2012 10:46 am

I suffer from cystic acne and I was wondering will I have to use this forever? Once my face has been clear for at least a year can I slowly get off or will my face get worse? I've read that people who stopped using the regimen there face became worse than when they first started it. I was curious if anyone has got off successfully and how you got off and what you use now.

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/08/2012 11:36 am

Yes you will have to use it forever. BP kills the bacteria by exposing it to oxygen but once you stop the bacteria comes back. I used it for 5 years before I decided to go on Accutane.

Edit:

Unless your skin change. I notice when I turn 27 the side of my face and forehead stop getting acne. But I still get cystic acne on my nose and around my mouth.

MemberMember
(@elm74hotmail-com)

Posted : 10/08/2012 2:25 pm

I agree with nbkyrww. I used it for a year and my skin was mostly clear, with just a few breakouts, maybe one cyst a month and some little barely-there spots the rest of the time. Then in a bid to be finally "cured", rather than use BP for the rest of my life, I tried microdermabrasion and lots of herbs/supplements/diet changes/antibiotics and topicals from the doctor.

As soon as I stopped the BP my skin got awful. I've gone back on it now after being off it for about a year, and it is helping again. Weighing up the options now of using it continually or risking the side effects of accutane.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 10/08/2012 3:04 pm

don't do it!

i quit the regimen after 8 months. my skin was nearly perfect. about 2 pimples and some clogged pores. after i quit, 2 months later my face exploded the worst it has ever been in my entire life. it threw my mental health right down the tubes. 3 months of depression. now i'm on accutane and an antidepressant.

i have to say quitting was also good because now i don't have to resort to BP ever again. i used BP for probably 15 years. but your skin gets addicted to it. it is very nice not to have to smear that shit on my face anymore. so nice not to have such bad peeling skin that i can't leave the house. so nice that i don't bleach my pillow cases anymore. but if you do quit, prepare yourself. i know there are some who successfully weaned off. but i weaned for about a week and gave up. but i developed an allergy to the BP so i couldn't stand it anymore.

not trying to scare you! but just warning you of what can happen.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/08/2012 4:16 pm

If you're going to wean off it, you gotta have a back-up plan, for most people your acne isn't just going to magically cure after BP. It'll come back. So you gotta have something else to switch to.

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/08/2012 5:24 pm

don't do it!

i quit the regimen after 8 months. my skin was nearly perfect. about 2 pimples and some clogged pores. after i quit, 2 months later my face exploded the worst it has ever been in my entire life. it threw my mental health right down the tubes. 3 months of depression. now i'm on accutane and an antidepressant.

i have to say quitting was also good because now i don't have to resort to BP ever again. i used BP for probably 15 years. but your skin gets addicted to it. it is very nice not to have to smear that shit on my face anymore. so nice not to have such bad peeling skin that i can't leave the house. so nice that i don't bleach my pillow cases anymore. but if you do quit, prepare yourself. i know there are some who successfully weaned off. but i weaned for about a week and gave up. but i developed an allergy to the BP so i couldn't stand it anymore.

OMG I lost so many button shirts because the collars would reach my chin and absorb the oil+BP from my face! I had to stop washing the shirts or throw it away!

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 10/08/2012 8:10 pm

don't do it!

OMG I lost so many button shirts because the collars would reach my chin and absorb the oil+BP from my face! I had to stop washing the shirts or throw it away!

ohhh yep! me too. my shirts and my boyfriend's! sometimes i'd lay my head on his chest or something while we watched tv and then the next time i washed the shirt it'd have a huge cheek mark. i remember when i had bangs even my hair was lighter from touching my skin.

MemberMember
(@kitkat123345)

Posted : 10/09/2012 4:56 pm

I'm only 19 and I believe mine acne is hormonal I get the cysts around my mouth so even if I find another regimen not including bp you think my face will still get worse than before I started? I don't want to have to use this forever.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 10/10/2012 9:54 am

how long have you been using BP?

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/10/2012 1:18 pm

I don't think so, unless your skin changes, which it does do as you age, but I'm afraid BP is no cure for acne, no topical treatment is. It will work as long as you use it, but your acne is very likely to come back after you stop using it.

I look at it like this: Most of my relatives on my mum's side have bad skin: it's oily, it's thick, the pores are huge and we forever seem to be plagued by blackheads and bumps. But, once you get to 40, the skin seems to improve as you age - that is pretty much the pattern with all my female relatives. So I'm hoping my skin will improve as I age.

It's very likely that as you age, your skin will improve too, unless you treat the internal cause of your acne - but there isn't always an internal cause and often you just can't seem to find the internal cause.

If you want to stop using BP I suggest you do it gradually, that way your skin won't go into 'shock breakout'. smile.png

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/10/2012 4:20 pm

If you're going to wean off it, you gotta have a back-up plan, for most people your acne isn't just going to magically cure after BP. It'll come back. So you gotta have something else to switch to.

I agree with this.