Notifications
Clear all

Its Back! Accutane: 8 Months After Finishing

MemberMember
(@ihatemylife00)

Posted : 10/08/2012 10:06 am

im crying right now....my acne is back. cry.gif my dream had come true of having clear skin and it only lasted for not even 8 months. im so upset and depressed i jus cant believe this. after everything ive been through i thought i had finally been finished with it. i have about 10 pimples right now. 3 of them are cystic. 2 cysts on my jawline, 1 in the center of my forehead. the others are your standard red bumps that turn into white heads.

i made an appt with the dermatologist. its a little over a month away. what do you think she is going to recommend for me?????? i would love to do accutane again, its the only thing that ever worked for me. i wish i could stay on it forever. clear skin is SO worth a sore back and dry lips. (i know i know, this is not possible and i would die if i stayed on it forever haha but it was wishful thinking) but will it come back after the second course? or should i go on birth control since this is obviously hormonal too?

HELP MEEEEE SOMEONEEE

oh and why me? why us? why does this happen??? what in my body is causing this? i read about testosterone and shit like that but WHY? why are my levels all out of wack? i just dont understand!!!!!!

im 20 btw. been dealing with acne since i was 13. you name it, ive tried it, ive been on it.

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/08/2012 10:28 am

I'm so sorry! I think you should do a second round.. Hopefully your derm will agree if that's the route you want to go. This time go on BC and when the course is over get retin a for maintenance. Some people just need two rounds, I'm on my second. Keep your head up! :)

MemberMember
(@ihatemylife00)

Posted : 10/08/2012 10:40 am

did the same thing happen to you??

I'm so sorry! I think you should do a second round.. Hopefully your derm will agree if that's the route you want to go. This time go on BC and when the course is over get retin a for maintenance. Some people just need two rounds, I'm on my second. Keep your head up! smile.png

MemberMember
(@somal123)

Posted : 10/08/2012 10:50 am

The same thing happened to me! I finished accutane last December and my face and back were very clear for about 7 months and a month ago my face started breaking out bad. I started using a benzyl peroxide when I cleansed my face, you could get this over the counter and it helped, my acne is all gone, however I'm left with some scars but they are fading away. This is how it works: "

Benzoyl peroxide works by introducing oxygen into the pore, thereby killing the bacteria that causes acne. When the bacteria population is reduced, the number of breakouts on the skin is reduced as well.

Another factor that makes this treatment so effective is its ability to help rid the follicle of excess dead skin cells.

" Since it helps get rid of dead skin, it'll make the scars go away a lot faster too. Goodluck!

MemberMember
(@ihatemylife00)

Posted : 10/08/2012 11:04 am

The same thing happened to me! I finished accutane last December and my face and back were very clear for about 7 months and a month ago my face started breaking out bad. I started using a benzyl peroxide when I cleansed my face, you could get this over the counter and it helped, my acne is all gone, however I'm left with some scars but they are fading away. This is how it works: "

Benzoyl peroxide works by introducing oxygen into the pore, thereby killing the bacteria that causes acne. When the bacteria population is reduced, the number of breakouts on the skin is reduced as well.

Another factor that makes this treatment so effective is its ability to help rid the follicle of excess dead skin cells.

" Since it helps get rid of dead skin, it'll make the scars go away a lot faster too. Goodluck!

are you gonna do another round of accutane?

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/08/2012 11:09 am

So sorry to hear about this, I had a similar experience, just the time frame was much longer (a couple of years compared to your 8 months...) Right now I would try and focus on the positive. Your acne was clear for 8 months! Which, if I understand your background correctly, that was a first really since you were 13 correct? So focus on the fact that it IS possible to have your skin normal. It's just about finding to the right combination specifically for your skin. But yes, I'd give accutane another shot. And hopefully she'll allow you to stay on it longer this go round. The best of luck to you!!! Keep your chin up!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/08/2012 11:11 am

Hello, i also did 2 rounds of tane and acne came back. before you do a second course have you tried dietary changes? The thing with accutane is that it is not a cure for many. Try cutting back sugar, gluten and dairy. I did the dietary changes with supplements for 8 months as well as topicals and natural remedies. None of this worked for my acne so i feel fairly comfortable about maybe trying tane again and maintaining immeadiately after with a topical + keeping up with diet changes.

On my previous course i never ate properly

Try it out for a few months and see if it makes a difference. Have you also tried topicals?

MemberMember
(@ihatemylife00)

Posted : 10/08/2012 11:41 am

i actually eat very nutritiously!! im kinda a health nut. so i know thats not a problem. and yes ive tried many topicals...... hated them all

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/08/2012 1:38 pm

im crying right now....my acne is back. cry.gif my dream had come true of having clear skin and it only lasted for not even 8 months. im so upset and depressed i jus cant believe this. after everything ive been through i thought i had finally been finished with it. i have about 10 pimples right now. 3 of them are cystic. 2 cysts on my jawline, 1 in the center of my forehead. the others are your standard red bumps that turn into white heads.

i made an appt with the dermatologist. its a little over a month away. what do you think she is going to recommend for me?????? i would love to do accutane again, its the only thing that ever worked for me. i wish i could stay on it forever. clear skin is SO worth a sore back and dry lips. (i know i know, this is not possible and i would die if i stayed on it forever haha but it was wishful thinking) but will it come back after the second course? or should i go on birth control since this is obviously hormonal too?

HELP MEEEEE SOMEONEEE

oh and why me? why us? why does this happen??? what in my body is causing this? i read about testosterone and shit like that but WHY? why are my levels all out of wack? i just dont understand!!!!!!

im 20 btw. been dealing with acne since i was 13. you name it, ive tried it, ive been on it.

Studies still haven't concluded why some people have imbalanced hormones, or why you have normal hormones but your receptors are more sensitive. You can have completely normal hormone levels but your receptors can be more sensitive and so the tiniest shift can give you acne. Either way we don't really know "why". Some have hypothesized that if your mother had imbalanced hormones, you're pretty much doomed from the womb. Others link it to a really fast or a drawn-out puberty stage. Others link it to environmental exposure to hormonal mimickers (such as xenoestrogens).

Either way, the fix that you have right now is either birth control (synthetic), anti-androgens (synthetic or natural), or bioidentical hormones (natural).

At least with hormonal treatment, you are supposed to stay on it, so it will keep working as long as you're on it...

Remember that only SOME birth controls help acne. Some don't do anything, and some make it worse. You will also need several months to a year on birth control to see results, if you tried one for a few months and quit, that doesn't count.

These birth controls help acne because they have an anti-androgenic progestin source:

Drospirenone (Yaz, BeYaz, Safyral)

Desogestrel (Orthocept, Mircette, Apri-28)

Ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen, Zovia)

Cyproteone acetate (Dianette, Diane-35)

OrthoTriCyclen is also recommended for acne, however its progestin is merely acne-neutral, meaning it doesn't make it better, but it doesn't make it worse either.

These types of progestin make acne worse. Most birth controls marked "Lo" contain one of these.

Norgestrel (Ovral)

Norethindron (Necon, Errin, Ortho-Novum)

Levonorgestre (Alesse, Plan B, Mirena, Triquilar)

MemberMember
(@ihatemylife00)

Posted : 10/08/2012 3:34 pm

HELP MEEEEE SOMEONEEE

Studies still haven't concluded why some people have imbalanced hormones, or why you have normal hormones but your receptors are more sensitive. You can have completely normal hormone levels but your receptors can be more sensitive and so the tiniest shift can give you acne. Either way we don't really know "why". Some have hypothesized that if your mother had imbalanced hormones, you're pretty much doomed from the womb. Others link it to a really fast or a drawn-out puberty stage. Others link it to environmental exposure to hormonal mimickers (such as xenoestrogens).

Either way, the fix that you have right now is either birth control (synthetic), anti-androgens (synthetic or natural), or bioidentical hormones (natural).

At least with hormonal treatment, you are supposed to stay on it, so it will keep working as long as you're on it...

Remember that only SOME birth controls help acne. Some don't do anything, and some make it worse. You will also need several months to a year on birth control to see results, if you tried one for a few months and quit, that doesn't count.

These birth controls help acne because they have an anti-androgenic progestin source:

Drospirenone (Yaz, BeYaz, Safyral)

Desogestrel (Orthocept, Mircette, Apri-28)

Ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen, Zovia)

Cyproteone acetate (Dianette, Diane-35)

OrthoTriCyclen is also recommended for acne, however its progestin is merely acne-neutral, meaning it doesn't make it better, but it doesn't make it worse either.

These types of progestin make acne worse. Most birth controls marked "Lo" contain one of these.

Norgestrel (Ovral)

Norethindron (Necon, Errin, Ortho-Novum)

Levonorgestre (Alesse, Plan B, Mirena, Triquilar)

this is helpful. thank you.

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/08/2012 4:12 pm

It took about a year or so for mine to come back but I waited a long time to get back on accutane. I'm on day five right now of my second course.

MemberMember
(@start)

Posted : 10/11/2012 6:32 pm

im crying right now....my acne is back.

It's actually pretty common that one course won't be enough. Just stay strong and get the second course.