Any Regimen Users W...

Notifications
Clear all

Any Regimen Users With Olive Skin..?

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 10/07/2012 9:27 am

I'm part Italian, and while it has it's perks (grandmother who smothers with me with delicious food, unlimited supply of lasagna etc.) it also means I've inherited olive toned skin; and by that I mean pale skin, with a yellowy-greenish-golden undertone which when paired with acne results in a disgusting mess.

It's not so much ironic as it is depressing that my face looks like a pizza. I've been on the regimen for about 4 months now and my acne is mostly gone. But my skin is blotchy; there are patches of red, brown and the yellow skin underneath it and purple dots ontop. Every single mark from pimples I've had is very visible. I've used AHA+ with moisturiser every other night for a month and I feel it's just adding redness to this mess. I use sunscreen, I drink shitloads of water (seriously I'm always in the bathroom), I eat healthily...and yet my skintone is terrible. And there's no sign of it letting up. Is it the regimen itself that's causing this? Is the BP ruining my skin? Are there any olive-toned regimen users who have had this issue and successfully overcome it? Should I try exercising more (admittedly I don't do it much) or bumping up AHA+ to every night or using it without moisturizer?!

I mean I feel like nothings changed. I wake up in the morning, hate my uneven skin, slap on some makeup and do the same thing again the next day...ugh sorry for complaining. The Regimen has cleared me up- no questions asked. But I think the issue with such highly rated treatments is that you're expectations are too high. I though that when I was clear I would be happy with my skin, and that was very naive of me I guess. Thanks for any advice guys rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@lovebug77)

Posted : 10/07/2012 4:40 pm

I also have olive skin and am dealing with the exact same thing. I was wondering if I should try to use BP only once a day to see if that helps. I have been on the regimen for 4 months as well and it has cleared my cystic acne but now have red and indented marks that seem to be getting worse with AHA. I have only been using AHA for three weeks and am mixing it with moisturizer some days and other days using it alone. I am hoping with time it will improve my marks and texture but I don't know what to expect. I also drink a lot of water and exercise frequently. I do really believe the BP is harsh and makes the red marks last longer (maybe forever), but it is also what clears the acne. I am sorry I don't have any helpful information, but I do hope some people give us some pointers because like you, I am very frustrated. Hang in there and congrats on getting clear (at least that is one thing we can be happy about).

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 10/07/2012 5:02 pm

I have olive skin tone surprisingly enough with Polish, German, Swedish, and Welsh ancestry. Why, I'll never know. My dad looks straight up Italian / Hispanic, it's really quite strange but moving on.. I really feel your pain. I can't remember my skin without hyperpigmentation. Really and truly. I've been struggling with acne since middle school when I was merely 11. It's gotten a liiiiittle better with honey and lemon masks every other night and Dan's AHA+ from time to time but nothing super remarkable to fade the spots.

I absolutely hated Dan's regimen. I thought it would be the winning skin care routine out of the hundreds that I've tried because it just seems so logical. But like you mentioned I felt it was RUINING my skin. The texture was absolutely grotesque and I had more acne than I started off with. I've heard nothing but horror stories when it comes to hyperpigmentation and Dan's regimen.

For those of us who scar indefinitely, it only really makes it more noticeable. I started off thinking doctor's know best and that they could help my skin but I soon learned you have to help yourself and play with what works for YOU. BP doesn't really work for everyone.

I've developed a more natural skin care regimen and am happier than with ANY other approach I have tried desperately. Not to try and say that the regimen doesn't work and to get off of it but I just know from my experience that BP makes my skin extremely irritated and I would never use BP again even if you paid me.

MemberMember
(@lovebug77)

Posted : 10/07/2012 5:33 pm

I have olive skin tone surprisingly enough with Polish, German, Swedish, and Welsh ancestry. Why, I'll never know. My dad looks straight up Italian / Hispanic, it's really quite strange but moving on.. I really feel your pain. I can't remember my skin without hyperpigmentation. Really and truly. I've been struggling with acne since middle school when I was merely 11. It's gotten a liiiiittle better with honey and lemon masks every other night and Dan's AHA+ from time to time but nothing super remarkable to fade the spots.

I absolutely hated Dan's regimen. I thought it would be the winning skin care routine out of the hundreds that I've tried because it just seems so logical. But like you mentioned I felt it was RUINING my skin. The texture was absolutely grotesque and I had more acne than I started off with. I've heard nothing but horror stories when it comes to hyperpigmentation and Dan's regimen.

For those of us who scar indefinitely, it only really makes it more noticeable. I started off thinking doctor's know best and that they could help my skin but I soon learned you have to help yourself and play with what works for YOU. BP doesn't really work for everyone.

I've developed a more natural skin care regimen and am happier than with ANY other approach I have tried desperately. Not to try and say that the regimen doesn't work and to get off of it but I just know from my experience that BP makes my skin extremely irritated and I would never use BP again even if you paid me.

I hear you, Clambak. People always say go to doctors, but I don't trust them because a Dr is what got me into the mess I am in, now.I NEVER had major skin problems until I went to a Dermatologist for clogged pores and he told me to stop using BP and start using retin-A (I was a loyal proactiv user for years). When I went back and told him I was getting cystic acne he wanted to put me on Antibiotics. He actually caused the problem and then wanted to ruin my digestive tract, to boot! For the next year I had awful cystic acne and I truly believe it's because I stopped using BP. So, I think for some people, BP really is the answer to getting rid of acne.I guess it is a blessing and a curse. Funny how people respond so differently to things.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 10/07/2012 6:39 pm

Right?? Only you know best. And it is sooo crazy how different everyone's bodies are. Which makes acne even harder to get rid of for some. I wish it never existed. It's a pretty recent thing too considering all the years people went without blemishes in history.

I hate how easy it is to be unhealthy in Western civilization, almost encouraged even. Roar. :C

MemberMember
(@fuze)

Posted : 10/07/2012 8:51 pm

Going through this now with naturally tanned olive skin. Was hoping the AHA would fix this (I use it nightly mixed with moisturizer), but from the responses in here, I am having doubts.

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 10/08/2012 11:54 am

I also have olive skin and am dealing with the exact same thing. I was wondering if I should try to use BP only once a day to see if that helps. I have been on the regimen for 4 months as well and it has cleared my cystic acne but now have red and indented marks that seem to be getting worse with AHA. I have only been using AHA for three weeks and am mixing it with moisturizer some days and other days using it alone. I am hoping with time it will improve my marks and texture but I don't know what to expect. I also drink a lot of water and exercise frequently. I do really believe the BP is harsh and makes the red marks last longer (maybe forever), but it is also what clears the acne. I am sorry I don't have any helpful information, but I do hope some people give us some pointers because like you, I am very frustrated. Hang in there and congrats on getting clear (at least that is one thing we can be happy about).

Thanks smile.png Congrats to you too! And I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! I mean BP works, it really does. But as you said its harsh and is it really worth having "clear" skin if the marks ruin it for you? Fingers crossed they won't last for forever (i've read in most places that they do fade...eventually...) although ten years will feel like forever I'm sure! Are you going to keep using the AHA+? I'm not so sure it's doing me any good. My skin seems dryer and sometimes the flakes come of and leave a scab! That's more marks!

Yeah my clear, scar-free skin is just a distant memory...

Crazy that you have olive toned skin with such a variety of ancestry! The wonders of genetics eh? And yeah, I hear ya. The Regimen isn't a solution for acne or even a long term treatment- it's far too harsh and irritating. Unfortunately though, it really works for my skin. I say unfortunately because it's kinda condemmed me to the Regimen for the foreseeable future!

Good for you for treating your skin naturally though, that's how it should be. I think I also read somewhere that acne is a fairly recent condition affecting mainly the western world- and with all the toxic crap that we breathe, eat and are exposed to it's no surprise that our body's trying to get rid of it using our skin. You're so right that Doctors are so quick to try and "fix you" with whatever worked for their last patient. It took me a while to realize that my doctor and derm aren't always right and that I should listen to my body. Glad I stopped listening to them just shy of accutane!

Thanks for your help smile.png I guess from here on out we just hope!

Going through this now with naturally tanned olive skin. Was hoping the AHA would fix this (I use it nightly mixed with moisturizer), but from the responses in here, I am having doubts.

Sorry for being so discouraging! It sucks when you lose hope before you've started...but it's still probably worth your while to try the AHA+.

I think because our tone is greenish and acne scars are red, based on color theory (yes, I googled a color wheel) the two colors contrast and our scars naturally look more obvious. But your tone might be a shade of green lighter and your acne scars might more orangey so perhaps AHA+ will do a better job on your skin that it will on mine or the other posters. I think you should just keep your expecations low, because when I bough the AHA+ I'd read so many positive reviews on MakeupAlley that I was convinced it would solve my problems in a week tops...also take it slow, the stuff is harsh! Good luck smile.png

MemberMember
(@lovebug77)

Posted : 10/08/2012 12:41 pm

HI Maybemonday...I think I am going to keep using AHA for now. Some days when I wake up my marks look lighter and other days they look more red. I have only been using it for 3 weeks in varying techniques, so I haven't really given it enough time/been consistent enough to determine if it's going to work or not. But I need all the help I can get with marks and texture so this is what I am trying for the last few days:

In the AM using Dan's cleanser and no BP (I stayed clear for years on only 1 BP application a day, so I am hoping this will be successful). After cleansing, I am applying Neutrogena's oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin.

In the PM, cleanse with Dan's cleanser, then after about 15 min, Dan's BP (finger length), then after about another 15 min, AHA (thin finger length). About 30 minutes after that, I apply Dan's moisturizer (1 pump).

I hope that with less BP applied and more exfoliation going on, marks will fade quicker. I will keep you updated. Good luck and I am glad you started this thread because I was wondering how the rest of the olive toned world was doing!

MemberMember
(@fuze)

Posted : 10/08/2012 12:52 pm

Since AHA is not working for you, do you have any plans to try other products?

Have you tried manuka honey or lemon? What about baking soda?

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 10/08/2012 3:25 pm

HI Maybemonday...I think I am going to keep using AHA for now. Some days when I wake up my marks look lighter and other days they look more red. I have only been using it for 3 weeks in varying techniques, so I haven't really given it enough time/been consistent enough to determine if it's going to work or not. But I need all the help I can get with marks and texture so this is what I am trying for the last few days:

In the AM using Dan's cleanser and no BP (I stayed clear for years on only 1 BP application a day, so I am hoping this will be successful). After cleansing, I am applying Neutrogena's oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin.

In the PM, cleanse with Dan's cleanser, then after about 15 min, Dan's BP (finger length), then after about another 15 min, AHA (thin finger length). About 30 minutes after that, I apply Dan's moisturizer (1 pump).

I hope that with less BP applied and more exfoliation going on, marks will fade quicker. I will keep you updated. Good luck and I am glad you started this thread because I was wondering how the rest of the olive toned world was doing!

I know right! I was sure I wasn't the only person on these boards who had this issue, so it's good we can swap suggestions smile.png I'm the exact same way. I'll be really hopeful because one day I'll wake up with remarkably lighter marks, then as the day or even the week goes on the marks will either gradually or suddenly get red and dark...are you using the AHA+ every day? It's probably best done the way you're doing it, with less BP. I use 2 full pumps day and night so I think the added irritation isn't helping my problem. I'm going to experiment with avoiding putting BP on the worst 6 or 7 dark marks on my face (I have clusters of hyperpigmentation just about everywhere but some very, very distinctive dots where cysts once were) and see if giving them a change to exfoliate and not get irritated will help... I think I'm also going to reduce AHA usage to 2/3 times a week. Maybe if we all do something different we'll eventually find a solution! Good luck to you and do keep us updated!

Since AHA is not working for you, do you have any plans to try other products?

Have you tried manuka honey or lemon? What about baking soda?

I've tried just about everything really...turmeric (which is popular on these boards), ACV, manuka honey (pricey stuff!), eggwhite masks, lemon juice, yoghurt masks. I tried more artificial treatments such as Ambi scar fader, I tried mud masks, glycolic acid, baking soda, sugar and salt scrubs. Nothing has worked for me as yet! The baking soda was far too abrasive for my skin and broke me out. The more natural treatments were a pain (some were quite literally painful!) and not effective. Gah at this point I'm just going to persevere with the AHA but reduce my usage to a few times a week and dilute it with moisturizer...that with sunscreen and patience will hopefully do some good. What about you? Have you tried anything?

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 10/08/2012 4:24 pm

While I don't have olive skin, I have been using Dan's AHA religiously for the past few years. I think it's a great product and has been very effective in improving my skin tone and texture, but it does take a while of consistent use to start seeing noticeable results. I really started seeing noticeable improvements in my skin after a few months of nightly use.

MemberMember
(@lovebug77)

Posted : 10/08/2012 6:32 pm

While I don't have olive skin, I have been using Dan's AHA religiously for the past few years. I think it's a great product and has been very effective in improving my skin tone and texture, but it does take a while of consistent use to start seeing noticeable results. I really started seeing noticeable improvements in my skin after a few months of nightly use.

Hearing positive results from regular AHA users gives me a little hope that things will get better, so thanks. Do you still use BP twice a day? If you only use it once a day, could you describe how you started using less (like did you apply less product, or did you just apply it once a day)? I am trying to figure out the best way to lower my BP use without wreaking havoc on my face.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 10/08/2012 10:52 pm

Hearing positive results from regular AHA users gives me a little hope that things will get better, so thanks. Do you still use BP twice a day? If you only use it once a day, could you describe how you started using less (like did you apply less product, or did you just apply it once a day)? I am trying to figure out the best way to lower my BP use without wreaking havoc on my face.

I use a pea-sized amount of BP twice a day. I've been on the regimen for so long (over 5 years now) that I've found that I don't need to use much BP anymore to stay clear. I'm certain that using AHA has really helped me stay clear as well. I didn't make a plan to reduce the amount of BP, I just started applying less during an unbearably humid summer a few years ago and my skin stayed clear.

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 10/12/2012 11:07 am

I use a pea-sized amount of BP twice a day. I've been on the regimen for so long (over 5 years now) that I've found that I don't need to use much BP anymore to stay clear. I'm certain that using AHA has really helped me stay clear as well. I didn't make a plan to reduce the amount of BP, I just started applying less during an unbearably humid summer a few years ago and my skin stayed clear.

So with nightly AHA use you saw an improvement in hyperpigmentation in a few months? Do you think it would take considerably longer to take effect if I use it twice a week? My skin just won't handle the AHA more than 2/3 times a week... thanks :)

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 10/13/2012 3:43 pm

So with nightly AHA use you saw an improvement in hyperpigmentation in a few months? Do you think it would take considerably longer to take effect if I use it twice a week? My skin just won't handle the AHA more than 2/3 times a week... thanks smile.png

Yes, within a few months I saw an improvement in my post-acne marks as well as the overall tone and texture of my skin. I'd imagine that it would take considerably longer to see results if you're only using it twice a week, but I'd say it's better than doing nothing. You could try mixing AHA with your moisturizer if using AHA alone is too harsh for your skin.

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 10/13/2012 5:12 pm

So with nightly AHA use you saw an improvement in hyperpigmentation in a few months? Do you think it would take considerably longer to take effect if I use it twice a week? My skin just won't handle the AHA more than 2/3 times a week... thanks smile.png

Yes, within a few months I saw an improvement in my post-acne marks as well as the overall tone and texture of my skin. I'd imagine that it would take considerably longer to see results if you're only using it twice a week, but I'd say it's better than doing nothing. You could try mixing AHA with your moisturizer if using AHA alone is too harsh for your skin.

hmmm I'm just not sure if the AHA (which ive only been using with moisturizer) is too harsh for my skin or if its the combination of the AHA and BP or if it's just my skin reacting to a new substance (being the AHA) before it starts to improve...I think I'll stick it out and see how it goes using it every other night for now. I'll post any improvements, thanks again :)

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 10/21/2012 4:05 am

Just thought I'd update...I cut out BP at night and replaced it with AHA. The redness and blotchyness in my uneven complexion, I am happy to confirm, has gone away with nightly use of AHA+. I'm back to my normal pale yellow skin!! The individual pimple marks are still there unfortunately, allover my face, so makeup is still a must for me. But I definitely see some fading in places where there were concentrated amounts of marks so I'll keep going with it. I've tried doing some more workout (power walking and cardio workouts...I got these great workout videos from the 80s- the spandex alone is enough to keep me interested nevermind the actual health benefits) and I think it's also been helping. So yeah, good luck to you guys smile.png