On My Way!

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/04/2012 8:26 pm

So.. A little about me. I'm a 24 year old female who has had acne for around 12 years. I've done everything possible to get rid of it. BP, SA, BC.. All the acronyms lol. But seriously I've been on retin a, differin, benzaclin, mino, doxy, finacea, the regimen, even accutane once when I was maybe 15. I remember clear skin but being really dried out but it obviously didn't last. I don't remember if I took it religiously but I doubt I did.

I have moderate acne right now.. Around ten active cysts and about 25 red marks. I get the majority around my mouth and chin area but I have a few on my forehead and one on my cheek right now. And one really ugly painful one that meets with my top lip and makes it look like I have a cold sore but I don't. I currently use dans cleanser and nothing else because I've been waiting to get my accutane script and I didn't want to use anything and dry my face out prior to the accutane.

I got my RX filled today and I'm on 20 mg of Clavaris. I was hoping to start at 40 mg but I didn't want to argue and I'm sure next month he will raise my dose. I'm 148 lbs or around 68 kg and I want to get a full cumulative dose in so he needs to raise it considerably in the coming months!

I'm going to continue to use dans cleanser and I got CeraVe moisturizing lotion but I don't feel it's going to be rich enough for me. Any suggestions for a good moisturizer? I'm stocked with my aquaphor and eye drops and I took my first pill with dinner so I'm pretty stoked. Thanks to anyone who is reading this :) ill check in later!

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/04/2012 8:40 pm

You can use Cerave until it stops working and then switch to Cetaphil when it's really dry.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/04/2012 8:42 pm

CeraVe moisturizing cream in the tub has been my god send on this medication! It's much thicker than the lotion and less greasy feeling. I love it!

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/05/2012 8:57 am

Ahhh I didn't know there was a difference between the tub and the pump.. I just like a pump better. Well dammit! :) I must say that the only thing that I'm worried about with accutane is an IB. If it happens it will probably be just in time to ruin my Halloween costume. And my husband is in Afghanistan and I wanted to take some boudoir pictures for Christmas to send to him and I'll probably have a red face. Oh well! By the time he gets back at least ill be clear.

Thank you two for the replies :)

MemberMember
(@faded12)

Posted : 10/05/2012 7:24 pm

I'm the same age as you and have had a similar experience so I feel your painnnnn! My acne right now is currently moderate and I popped my first pill tonight. I got prescribed 40mg but I only wanted 20mg and they said no so I had the complete opposite problem as you haha. Good luck with everything and I will def be following your log!

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/05/2012 7:38 pm

Have you ever tried Garnier Moisture Rescue? It's more of gel-cream I guess but I won't use another moisturizer So many moisturizes make your face just feel gross, and never fully rub in. This does, and within literally 5 minutes your face feels naturally hydrated without the excess residue. I'm a guy so I don't want my skin looking all super shinny like so many moisturizes do. And if you want to try something different someday if what your doing fails, give B5 (pantothenic acid) a go. It's a water soluble vitamin that I take along with a b-complex. It cured my moderately severe acne. Just a suggestion! And best of luck to you!

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 10/05/2012 7:52 pm

20mg/day is one of the normal starting doses. It allows you to find out if you will have an allergic reaction (not common) in a safer way. It can also minimise your initial breakout and scarring (from having a horrible initial breakout). I was on 20mg/day for three months and I would hate to think how my acne would have flared up starting on 40mg/day. I am just a year younger than you and I have had acne for about 15 years, hopefully it will cure both of us. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/06/2012 6:19 pm

Faded- ill be sure to follow your log, it's nice to know someone else is at the same stage as I am!

Betterness- I haven't heard of that.. I'll take a look next time I'm at the store :) thanks!!!

Jamieo- thanks for the input! I hope it will minimize the IB...that's my biggest fear right now. Good luck to you as well!

Day 3

No dryness so far, but I wasn't expecting any yet. I might be a little more oilier but I may just be making that up... I dunno. I have three new cysts and the sexy one on my lip that I thought was gonna stick around for a while actually came to a head and I'm trying to leave it alone but it's hard. No much else to update! I was in a VERY foul mood today so tomorrow will surely be better :) hope everyone that reads this is doing well.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 10/06/2012 6:57 pm

cut down cola, caffeine, alcohol, sugar, dairy and ramp up fruits and veggies rich in vitamin A and E. Supplement powdered wheat grass juice and do hardcore yoga including headstand and shoulder stand. You should be clear.

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/06/2012 8:00 pm

Thanks for the tips but its not that easy for me.. I'm not willing to give up all of the things that I love like wine and fried foods to get rid of acne. It's not like I sit around eating junk and drinking all day but I do like to indulge now and again :) I do love veggies and I love to run but I'm not for an entire lifestyle change at this point! I really don't think that it would have all that much effect on it anyways because my acne is mainly hormonal.

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/06/2012 10:59 pm

I don't think you should drink while on Accutane. It may cause liver damage.

MemberMember
(@kk808)

Posted : 10/07/2012 12:48 am

Hey FairBeauty,

Like you, I've done more than enough to try and treat acne. I sincerely hope everything works out for you and looking forward to seeing your results. Reading your post, I'm also an avid runner. My derm told me to expect more fatigue and body aches. But I just did a quick 4 mile jog, to test the waters, last night to see how it would go and everything went GREAT. Maybe I haven't been on it long enough. I'm doing 40mg once a day. Oh, for the cysts, have you thought about getting them injected with cortisone?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/07/2012 9:53 am

The suggestions are good ones for overall health but may or may not clear your acne - it didn't for me. I have done 2 courses of accutane in the past and if i were to do a third course, i would be sure to eat as healthy as possible (as i have been doing for the past 8 months - with no change to my acne unfortunately).

Keep up the running and keep eating lots of fruits and vegetables. Juicing is a great suggestion that is super easy to incorporate.

Good Luck with treatment hun!

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/07/2012 7:45 pm

KK- I have researched cortisone shots recently and I think if I get a big IB ill get them injected, but for now I think I'll just let it ride. Have you had injections before? How do they work out for you?

Sasch83- thanks :) I wish I could do the whole organic vegan health nut thing. I am dieting right now (I had a baby six months ago so I'm losing the baby weight) and I'm eating fairly healthy. Great idea about juicing!! I don't have a juicer but I like to make green smoothies and I had forgotten about them.

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/07/2012 8:23 pm

Day four

My face was a little tighter after washing this am and after my shower so I moisturized a little extra. I'm hoping I can stay a step ahead of it and not get too dry.. Probably wishful thinking though :) I'm a Chapstick addict so I'm not sure if my lips are drier yet. Nothing really new to report yet! Nine actives right now.. Most are around my mouth. But the ones on my forehead went down a lot quicker so maybe that's a good sign!

Good night everyone.

MemberMember
(@tapas)

Posted : 10/08/2012 10:08 am

Good luck =))))

I am a bit like you! I won't let acne take away somethings I enjoy in life like wine! If I don't wanna go out because of stupid acne then at least let me indulge a little!!

I literally started on th same day as you so hopefully we both get some good results soon :)!

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/08/2012 9:27 pm

Good luck =))))

I am a bit like you! I won't let acne take away somethings I enjoy in life like wine! If I don't wanna go out because of stupid acne then at least let me indulge a little!!

I literally started on th same day as you so hopefully we both get some good results soon :)!

Yay! Good luck! Let me know how it goes? What mg are you on?

Day five

Well, I got flushed this afternoon. I remember this from my first course but I didn't think it would start already... It wasn't too bad but it was uncomfortable. My cheeks felt very warm and weird but when I looked in the mirror they were a bit pink but I had makeup on so it wasn't too noticeable. I wish there was something I could do about it. Any suggestions? Also, do the females that are readings this get their pregnancy test done at the same drs apt that you get your new prescription? My first course was before ipledge so I don't want to mess this up!!

Hope everyone had a lovely day <3

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/08/2012 11:02 pm

I get my pregnancy test and blood tests done on the same appt as my monthly check up. It seems other people go in days before and get this done.

My derm waits for my neg pregnancy test and then prescribes and calls me the day after and tells me my blood results. If something is wrong or levels are off she would either take me off or lower my dosage. Hope this helps

MemberMember
(@tapas)

Posted : 10/09/2012 12:04 am

Good luck =))))

I literally started on th same day as you so hopefully we both get some good results soon smile.png!

Yay! Good luck! Let me know how it goes? What mg are you on?

Day five

Well, I got flushed this afternoon. I remember this from my first course but I didn't think it would start already... It wasn't too bad but it was uncomfortable. My cheeks felt very warm and weird but when I looked in the mirror they were a bit pink but I had makeup on so it wasn't too noticeable. I wish there was something I could do about it. Any suggestions? Also, do the females that are readings this get their pregnancy test done at the same drs apt that you get your new prescription? My first course was before ipledge so I don't want to mess this up!!

Hope everyone had a lovely day <3

I tried putting olive oil on my skin when that happens which soothes it a little. Its a little warm at first but then it really moisturise your skin.

I am currently on 30 mg a month. Hope to up it as i want to get this over asap!!!

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/09/2012 5:56 pm

Day six

I ran today and it was amazing! No soreness or pain yet. My nose looked a little peely today so ill keep an eye on that. So far so good. Two new spots but the old ones have gone down quickly so I'm doing a little better than I was. Hopefully this isn't the calm before the storm :)

MemberMember
(@kk808)

Posted : 10/10/2012 6:22 pm

Glad to hear that you're doing well! 1 week down!

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 10/11/2012 1:56 pm

Just wanted to say I wish you the best of luck on your course! :)

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/11/2012 5:34 pm

Thanks you guys :)

Day seven

I think a few side effects have come into play. I have had a headache today and my face is red. I think I'm just gonna be pink from now on. I also have a little itching and cracking of the skin right at the corners of my nose. I put aquaphor on it and it healed nicely overnight.

I'm on 20mg now and when I go to the dr again I'm going to ask to go up to 50mg. I'm only going to be on it 5 months so in order to get my cumulative dose in I've got to go up a bunch next month. The side effects are going to be vicious but I'm moving and can't continue past five months.

No real new spots and some are healing and some are staying the same. Not too shabby so far :)

MemberMember
(@waseem-abbas)

Posted : 10/11/2012 11:59 pm

I'm also on 20mg/day and it is my Day 10 today. I'm having my initial breakouts started on Day 8. I think going on a high dose early would effect you. At least you should remain on 20mg/day for 1 month or so. Let your body get used to it and i wish you all the very best for your course :) you can follow my Log here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/321237-27yo-male-started-accutane-today/

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/12/2012 5:17 pm

Day 8

IB is going to start really soon... I can feel bumps under my skin that I know will explode very soon. Ugh!! It was super hard for me to post these pics but its probably best. :(

I have been fatigued the past couple days...I'm pretty sure it's the accutane. My pores around my nose all look really clogged and maybe like stuff is pushing out? The texture of my skin has really taken a turn for the worse as well. It looks a bit dull... This is happening so quick but hey it's what I wanted!

Another headache today but I've been killing it at the gym all week and I might not have drank enough water to make up for it, although I've tried to.

post-185924-0-13740500-1350079754_thumb.

post-185924-0-75903100-1350079768_thumb.

post-185924-0-71460100-1350079787_thumb.

post-185924-0-13740500-1350079754_thumb.

post-185924-0-75903100-1350079768_thumb.

post-185924-0-71460100-1350079787_thumb.