Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Or No? (Pictures Included)

MemberMember
(@magnumed)

Posted : 10/04/2012 9:55 am

I'm terribly sorry, this is my first post and i accidentally posted it elsewhere, so here it is, under the right category.

I've had acne since I was 11 years old. I got my first cyst at the age of 12. I'm now 17.

I've been thinking about Accutane. I realise I cannot just 'get it'. I have an appointment to a dermatologist next Tuesday, and I plan to tell her about everything I've tried.

I have tried countless over the counter products aswell as prescription medications (topical creams) including oral medication (antibiotics, birth control) with little to no effect. I exercise and eat healthy, I do not suffer from stress or depression either, but acne is affecting my self esteem, and I keep imagining how I'd look with a spotless face.

My skin isn't that oily, but I get about 4-5 large cysts weekly. You can't tell from the pictures, but my entire face (especially my forehead) is covered with closed comedones. (English is my third language, so please excuse me for my spelling). I have 4 cysts on my face right now. Some are under the skin, and only slightly red, but most of them are visible, more or less. I rarely get whiteheads or blackheads, instead I get big, painful cysts.

I do not pick on my skin, I don't pop any pimples and I cleanse my skin with a mild cleanser. I avoid touching my face too.

In my country, there is no iPledge thing. The protocol for getting Roaccutane is not very strict. I live in a small town and there is only one derm here. I've seen people with mild acne get accutane.

Also the price is no obstacle. If I do get an accutane prescription, i will get it for free (thank you, healthcare!:).

By all means, I do not think I know more about Accutane and skin issues than the derm does, but I am aware of the side effects (even the rarest). Some people have had serious side effects, and please, do not try to recommend me anything else because of your bad experiences. We are all different. Of course I will listen to my derm and her recommendations, but do you think I have a possibility of getting accutane based on my skin?

I'd love to hear about your experiences too, positive or negative :)

Pictures below.

MemberMember
(@ajab561)

Posted : 10/04/2012 10:56 am

Since you've already tried a lot of topicals and oral antibiotics, I would say that you would be a candidate for Accutane by looking at your pictures. I've gone through one course and I'm on my second, which will hopefully knock out these cysts for good. First time around I got much improved skin but not 100% clear, so that's the reason for my second course.

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 10/04/2012 11:49 am

Have you tried dieting?

MemberMember
(@ajab561)

Posted : 10/04/2012 11:58 am

She said she eats healthy.

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/04/2012 12:16 pm

Yes, if you have 4-5 cyst at a time and tell them nothing else worked, they will likely give you Accutane. But, since you are young they might have a bit of concern about emotions and mood swings. That's what happen to me. I went to the derm office and I told her it's been 10 years, nothing has worked, I was allergic to the minocycline antibiotic and she gave me the option of Backtrim or Accutane.

MemberMember
(@magnumed)

Posted : 10/05/2012 5:15 am

I'm 5ft 4", 115 lbs. I don't need dieting. Thank you for your kind replies, I'll hope for the best when I see the derm on Tuesday

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 10/13/2012 2:41 pm

I would say yes, go on accutane ,but there are some possible side effects not only the common one(dry skin,lips,join pain,etc) , since I only got the common ones , I will say yes, but ofc you need to talk this with your dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/13/2012 3:06 pm

Re Dieting - I thing the poster that mentioned it meant lifestyle changes rather than trying to lose weight. Many people have found success with:

cutting out processed foods

dairy

soda

wheat (going gluten free)

going paleo (grain free)

upping veggie and fruit intake

upping water intake

taking an intolerance test and cutting out foods that they are intolerant to

It's just a suggestion that may or may not help your skin (it didn't mine but i feel tons healthier)

Also, since you have cystic acne, have you thought of Spiro?

Accutane is a strong drug but if you've exhausted all your options and have educated yourself about the side effects then go for it.

I have experiences with it so feel free to PM me with any questions.