Notifications
Clear all

Hard Sebum On Face

MemberMember
(@holden78)

Posted : 10/01/2012 4:22 pm

Hi,

I am a 34 year old man and for the past 2-3 years I have been suffering from an excess of hard sebum on my face - the best way to describe my condition is that when I rub my face lots of very tiny sebum plugs come away. Initially this was only on my cheeks - but is now an issue on my face, scalp, neck and chest and I have become very self conscious.

My skin is not especially oily or greasy but I have always had fairly 'open pores' but in recent years my skin has become 'grainy' in texture (particularly under my eyes & cheeks). From research on the web, the closest conditions I've found to match mine are Milia & sebaceous prominence (except facial!).

I have been combatting this by having hot baths, exfoliating, drinking plenty of water, eating healthily and getting plenty of sleep. However this does not seem to be improving anything and I am keen to see if anyone else suffers from this and if so how they treat it - specifically any dietary changes or supplements that could help (eg. omega 3 and 6 oils)?

Thanks for your time - look forward to hearing from you.

T.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 10/21/2012 8:16 pm

holden i have the exact condition you are describing. I have not found any way to treat it and Im not sure if it means my skin is oily or dehydrated? The plugs have to come out or they stay impacted in there but when i remove them, they leave a small hole and a little grainy squishy plug is on the tip of my tweezer or nail. It will eventually fill back up and sit there until I repick the clog out. Its endless and I have tried dietary changes and supplments and gentle skin care and cannot figure it out. BTW, Im a 45 yrs old and have been dealing with this for two years. Do you think our skin needs more moisture, oil or something that will slow the sebum?

MemberMember
(@lightersup)

Posted : 10/23/2012 9:13 pm

What are you exfoliating with? Step up the process with a BHA chemical peel (amazon.com). This will really help breakdown the hardened sebum in your skin.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 10/31/2012 8:35 am

As the person above stated you need a BHA product. A peel would work or a glycolic toner would work well too, it'll clear up those congested pores, or at least reduce them.

MemberMember
(@fragilesong)

Posted : 10/31/2012 6:03 pm

I've had this same problem, too. Thank you for posting this!