Notifications
Clear all

Intermittent Fasting- You Really Need To Try This

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/01/2012 11:55 am

Hi everyone

IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ THE EXPLANATION SKIP TO THE LAST PARAGRAPH

basically i've had moderate to severe acne for about 4 years now (its been moderate for the last year) and as is the same with most people on here ive tried all sorts of pills and creams over this period. And i have also had a huge interest in diet, nutrition and exercise.

about 3 years ago now i did the basic 6 food elimination diet (milk, soy, egg, wheat, nuts and shellfish) and took vitamin tablets to replace the nutrients lost by not eating these foods.

after 2 years the diet made almost no difference so this is when i really started to do deep research into diet, exercise and how they link to hormones and overtime i began to realise ITS NOT ONLY WHAT YOU EAT ITS WHEN YOU EAT.

the modern diet in most people consists of 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and these are usually spaced over 10-12 hours and this has been the way for years and this is the pattern you are advised to stick to. but when you look at our diet in detail you realise what effect it is having on our bodies. when you have a constant supply of energy through food you are increasing the levels of a number of hormones in your system among which is the growth hormone IGF-1 which is widely considered to increase the rate of ageing in mammals. also the hormones testosterone and DHT. and what do all these hormones have in common, THEY ALL CONTRIBUTE TO ACNE.

so what should you, its simple reduce the window of time in which you eat and have longer periods of fasting. when you fast your body will reduce the levels of IGF-1 TESTOSTERONE and DHT as these hormones are responsible among over things for the creation of new cells but when you fast you body needs to preserve energy so instead of creating new cells it will REPAIR EXISTING CELLS. this is why fasting has been found to help prevent age related diseases such as alzheimer's and diseases such as heart disease and cancer.

something must also be said for what you eat. most of you that have done your own research will know all this but basically reduce intake of any wheat products whether you are "intolerant" or not it still has a negative effect on your body which i'll go into later. also don't drink and dairy products its not natural, and avoid sugars as much as you can. sugars and wheat products help maintain the growth of "bad bacteria" and fungus within the human body not only will their growth have a direct negative effect on your health but also as we all know and organism that eats also sh*ts and this is toxic to you body and can increase you susceptibility to illness. and suppress the immune system.

finally exercise. im starting to get tired of writing and your probably getting tired of reading so basically do some exercise, every other day if you can.

in conclusion fasting and intermittent fasting have a large number of health benefits and most importantly to all of us here can seriously help with the effects of acne. i really urge you to try alternate day fasting or reduce the window in the day in which you eat. I recommend 20/4 (20 hour fast , 4 hours in which you can eat) this is only a basic incite into the topic and you can do more research yourselves into fasting. i suggest you watch the bbc horizon show eat fast live longer on youtube. hopefully you have read this and please pass the info on to everyone you can on the site.

CHEERS

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/01/2012 12:30 pm

sorry people i also forgot to mention protein intake. high levels of protein also increase IGF-1 and testosterone. im not saying cutting out protein sources obviously thats stupid but try to not go over you daily recommended amount.

also when it comes to you diet we all know the 5 a day rule or whatever arbitrary number the government of your country have decided on. ( basically have as much as you can ) focus more on veg than fruit because the sugar in fruit is still bad for you in large amounts. You see poeple having a litre of fruit smoothie a day and they still wonder why they put on weight. anyway i'll probably keep adding stuff to this when i remember all the things i wanted to put down in the first post.

please keep coming to this page and ask questions and i'll hopefully have an answer for you

MemberMember
(@gman89)

Posted : 10/02/2012 6:56 am

I half arsedly do this already and have been wondering if I should do it more rigorously. At the moment I just skip breakfast and aim for a 16hr fast. This means eating lunch around 1pm and then dinner at 7pm. I definitely am not thinking about it a lot so sometimes 16hrs becomes 13hrs, but I always skip breakfast. It's definitely not the most effective way of doing this.

I just want to know to what extent have you seen an improvement on your skin? I think it's something I can do more rigorously without too much difficulty if I know the effects are profound.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:20 am

I half arsedly do this already and have been wondering if I should do it more rigorously. At the moment I just skip breakfast and aim for a 16hr fast. This means eating lunch around 1pm and then dinner at 7pm. I definitely am not thinking about it a lot so sometimes 16hrs becomes 13hrs, but I always skip breakfast. It's definitely not the most effective way of doing this.

I just want to know to what extent have you seen an improvement on your skin? I think it's something I can do more rigorously without too much difficulty if I know the effects are profound.

hi.

ive been doing this for around 2-3 months now and benefits ive seen not only in my skin have been amazing.

just in terms of my skin though, ive had no breakouts for about a week now and my red marks seem to be fading faster.

for your other question the golden time for fasting, that is when it has its biggest affect on your body is around 18 hours. i myself do a 20 hour fast. its hard to start with but you soon get used to it.

ive got a blog that ive started on this site for my progress and other info. if your interested in starting message me so i can use your experience for the blog

cheers

hi.

ive been doing this for around 2-3 months now and benefits ive seen not only in my skin have been amazing.

just in terms of my skin though, ive had no breakouts for about a week now and my red marks seem to be fading faster.

for your other question the golden time for fasting, that is when it has its biggest affect on your body is around 18 hours. i myself do a 20 hour fast. its hard to start with but you soon get used to it.

ive got a blog that ive started on this site for my progress and other info. if your interested in starting message me so i can use your experience for the blog

cheers

for the above post, by not breaking out i mean literally no new spots or marks at all and for me thats incredible as i use to get at least 2-3 small cysts every other day

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:42 am

sorry people i also forgot to mention protein intake. high levels of protein also increase IGF-1 and testosterone. im not saying cutting out protein sources obviously thats stupid but try to not go over you daily recommended amount.

also when it comes to you diet we all know the 5 a day rule or whatever arbitrary number the government of your country have decided on. ( basically have as much as you can ) focus more on veg than fruit because the sugar in fruit is still bad for you in large amounts. You see poeple having a litre of fruit smoothie a day and they still wonder why they put on weight. anyway i'll probably keep adding stuff to this when i remember all the things i wanted to put down in the first post.

please keep coming to this page and ask questions and i'll hopefully have an answer for you

This is because most of the fibre has been removed.

This doesn't happen with whole fruits that haven't been processed.

Typically eating fruit after an high protein high essential fats meal slows down the rate of absorption. As a result the insulin response is much less therefore not encouraging the body to store fat.

Also what do you consider to be the daily recommend amounts of protein?

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:53 am

well alot a factors have to be considered. for a person like you who obviously trains alot will need more than someone that doesnt do any exercise at all. then weight, gender etc. i have around 80g a day but i train 3 times a week. ive seen on body building forums people saying if you want to make big gains you need a gram per pound of bodyweight but that seems ridiculous im around 215 lbs. my point was more about going over you needs to the extreme rather than small differences

Typically eating fruit after an high protein high essential fats meal slows down the rate of absorption. As a result the insulin response is much less therefore not encouraging the body to store fat.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/02/2012 2:41 pm

well alot a factors have to be considered. for a person like you who obviously trains alot will need more than someone that doesnt do any exercise at all. then weight, gender etc. i have around 80g a day but i train 3 times a week. ive seen on body building forums people saying if you want to make big gains you need a gram per pound of bodyweight but that seems ridiculous im around 215 lbs. my point was more about going over you needs to the extreme rather than small differences

you and your trainer probs know alot more about protein intake that me anyway lol

The protein debate is a big one.

I keep my intake at 1 gram per pound of body weight. As you say many factors have to be considered. Where i am cutting i have to make up the bulk of my energy from protein and essential fats. My carb in take can go anywhere from 300g on my high day down to 50 grams on my low carb (carb cycling simply owns for fat loss)

I only train 4 times a week for at a maximum of 90 minutes if i am doing high intensity cardio after a weight training session. I am normally done in the hour.

I would say the protein debate is still open for debate. I read an article that stated don't consume more than 57 grams of protein a day. However there was no scientific study to back this up. This worked for one person who lost a ton of weight. If anyone was underfeeding themselves by that much then no doubt that would lose weight but would more than likely put it back on.

All i know is there are no protein related diseases out there like type 2 diabetes. There has never been any reports of carnivorous animals being type 2 diabetic.

Unless someone has kidney failure then an high protein diet is not advisable but there are studies to show that high protein actually improves kidney function. The science changes all the time and people after to let go of there bias. The data is what it is.

I think it is more of a question. Where does the protein come from, how was it reared, was it grass fed. A grass fed piece of steak acts differently hormonally on the body than a steak of lesser quality. The grass fed steak is better for the body but this doesn't mean it will help anyone achieve a better physique or achieve that physique any quicker. Healthier yes, builds muscle quicker? No

Still much we do not know and we are learning all the time. it's how will filter that data out and keep open minds. Only the ignorant will say everyone needs to consume such and such to gain muscle. Everyone is different. My body type is Endomorph. This means i can grow muscle easily but it is also means i store fat very easily. In other words very sensitive to carbohydrates

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/02/2012 3:49 pm

you and your trainer probs know alot more about protein intake that me anyway lol

I keep my intake at 1 gram per pound of body weight. As you say many factors have to be considered. Where i am cutting i have to make up the bulk of my energy from protein and essential fats. My carb in take can go anywhere from 300g on my high day down to 50 grams on my low carb (carb cycling simply owns for fat loss)

I only train 4 times a week for at a maximum of 90 minutes if i am doing high intensity cardio after a weight training session. I am normally done in the hour.

I would say the protein debate is still open for debate. I read an article that stated don't consume more than 57 grams of protein a day. However there was no scientific study to back this up. This worked for one person who lost a ton of weight. If anyone was underfeeding themselves by that much then no doubt that would lose weight but would more than likely put it back on.

All i know is there are no protein related diseases out there like type 2 diabetes. There has never been any reports of carnivorous animals being type 2 diabetic.

Unless someone has kidney failure then an high protein diet is not advisable but there are studies to show that high protein actually improves kidney function. The science changes all the time and people after to let go of there bias. The data is what it is.

I think it is more of a question. Where does the protein come from, how was it reared, was it grass fed. A grass fed piece of steak acts differently hormonally on the body than a steak of lesser quality. The grass fed steak is better for the body but this doesn't mean it will help anyone achieve a better physique or achieve that physique any quicker. Healthier yes, builds muscle quicker? No

Still much we do not know and we are learning all the time. it's how will filter that data out and keep open minds. Only the ignorant will say everyone needs to consume such and such to gain muscle. Everyone is different. My body type is Endomorph. This means i can grow muscle easily but it is also means i store fat very easily. In other words very sensitive to carbohydrates

i haven't really done a bulking phase since i started cutting fat i spose i should soon otherwise i'll start getting alot weaker. ive mainly got the traits of a mesomorph so i can usually put on weight fairly quickly if i wanted too.

i remember seeing somewhere that the average person can only efficiently absorb around 30g of protein per meal but there was alot of debate about its validity. like you i basically have a low carb diet just sticking to veg and meat. sometimes eggs but i dont like to eat them often because of the high levels fat and cholesterol

the whole thing is so hard to balance, yes i want to be as fit and as well adapted to my sport as possible but i also want to have better skin. ive worked so hard for both over the years. i really think if i went over 100g of protein a day id start to notice a difference for the worse in my skin

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/03/2012 3:49 am

i haven't really done a bulking phase since i started cutting fat i spose i should soon otherwise i'll start getting alot weaker. ive mainly got the traits of a mesomorph so i can usually put on weight fairly quickly if i wanted too.

i remember seeing somewhere that the average person can only efficiently absorb around 30g of protein per meal but there was alot of debate about its validity. like you i basically have a low carb diet just sticking to veg and meat. sometimes eggs but i dont like to eat them often because of the high levels fat and cholesterol

the whole thing is so hard to balance, yes i want to be as fit and as well adapted to my sport as possible but i also want to have better skin. ive worked so hard for both over the years. i really think if i went over 100g of protein a day id start to notice a difference for the worse in my skin

You can maintain strength while burning fat. Check out the Y3T principles on BB.com Y3T alternates between heavy compound lifts in week 1, isolation work in week 2 and total oblivion in week 3 where the reps go as high as 70 reps. Doing drop sets and triple drop sets. Its mental. You can use it for bulking or cutting just change your diet accordingly

As for eggs. Mate seriously not deprive yourself of the nutrition from eggs. It is quite possibly the most nutrient dense food you can get. Eggs get a bad rep based on out of date sciene

When it comes to protein, there are certain types you need to include in your diet, and eggs are definitely one of them. You can eat eggs several times a day. If you're worried about the cholesterol, don't. Cholesterol from egg yolks won't raise your LDL (bad cholesterol) level. Eggs contain about 6 grams of high quality protein, so high that it is used as the standard by which other foods are measured. Eggs are also a rich source of vitamins, including A, E and K and a range of B vitamins such as B12 (energy), riboflavin and folic acid. Eggs also contain all eight essential amino acids needed for optimal muscle recovery and building valuable minerals like calcium, zinc and iron.

There are many things that will kill you way before cholesterol. Cholesterol gets a bad press. The reason is, it is easy to measure and easy to blame. Inflammation, Oxidation, Sugar, Stress will kill anyone way before cholesterol ever will

Also remember fat doesn't make you fat, excessive carb consumption does most of the damage there. Essential fats help break down bad fats in the body.

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 10/03/2012 8:33 pm

Buddhist monks fast all the time actually. It is necessary for their well being, since cravings of food and desire is essentially what is "bad" contributes to suffering.

Yet they all seem to live healthy, no need to visit the hospital in their lifetime. Most age lot longer than majority of the modern people.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/04/2012 12:42 pm

Buddhist monks fast all the time actually. It is necessary for their well being, since cravings of food and desire is essentially what is "bad" contributes to suffering.

Yet they all seem to live healthy, no need to visit the hospital in their lifetime. Most age lot longer than majority of the modern people.

I think that's more attributable to living a simple life of serenity and tranquility than fasting.

Though there does seem to be evidence that a little fasting may be helpful, or at the very least not harmful. Regular fasting (e.g. anorexia) however is very harmful.

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 10/05/2012 10:16 am

I think that's more attributable to living a simple life of serenity and tranquility than fasting.

Though there does seem to be evidence that a little fasting may be helpful, or at the very least not harmful. Regular fasting (e.g. anorexia) however is very harmful.

Fasting actually lets you live longer, your body kicks back to it's survival state and it is more capable of repairing itself. It's basically that, food should be eaten for survival, for energy and to maintain a proper body function, not for the sake of the person's desire or boredom, which is the main problem with majority of the people nowadays.

Although, there has been many monks who could meditate years without food which shocked scientists. There's what's called chi in every essence of life, which we breathe but can't utilize.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/05/2012 7:08 pm

Love your member status Green Gables: Almost Retired

Anyway, What would you define as regular fasting? Genuinely curious, because it's an area that i'm currently in the dark. Anyone else can chime in as well. I feel like it makes alot of sense, since hunters and gatherers most likely didn't have a stockpile of food they stuffed themselves with morning, afternoon, and evening. You say anorexia, which is an extreme, and i'm wondering if it depends on how much food you eat when you do eat. I feel like this would play a big role in separating anorexia from healthy fasting. Perhaps this was already mentioned in the discussion

It's basically that, food should be eaten for survival, for energy and to maintain a proper body function, not for the sake of the person's desire or boredom, which is the main problem with majority of the people nowadays.

Have to agree with this DaftFrost

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/05/2012 7:52 pm

Anyway, What would you define as regular fasting? Genuinely curious, because it's an area that i'm currently in the dark. Anyone else can chime in as well. I feel like it makes alot of sense, since hunters and gatherers most likely didn't have a stockpile of food they stuffed themselves with morning, afternoon, and evening.

. I can't believe you've completely missed all our previous intermittent fasting discussions. Going hungry once in a while is a very important part of how our bodies are meant to function. Amongst many other things, it promotes the recycling of tissues.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/05/2012 8:13 pm

I can't believe you've completely missed all our previous intermittent fasting discussions. Going hungry once in a while is a very important part of how our bodies are meant to function. Amongst many other thins, it remotes the recycling of tissues.

lol

i was apparently under a very large rock

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/05/2012 8:22 pm

Anyway, What would you define as regular fasting? Genuinely curious, because it's an area that i'm currently in the dark. Anyone else can chime in as well. I feel like it makes alot of sense, since hunters and gatherers most likely didn't have a stockpile of food they stuffed themselves with morning, afternoon, and evening. You say anorexia, which is an extreme, and i'm wondering if it depends on how much food you eat when you do eat. I feel like this would play a big role in separating anorexia from healthy fasting. Perhaps this was already mentioned in the discussion

I don't know what I'm defining as regular fasting. I remember reading somewhere that a fast now and then can do good things. I should go back and find those sources.

I do know that anorexia and bulimia can permanently alter your hormonal levels. Recovering anorexics often have to do HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for the rest of their lives.

• Reproductive hormones, including estrogen and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), are lower. Estrogen is important for healthy hearts and bones. DHEA, a weak male hormone, may also be important for bone health and for other functions.
  • Thyroid hormones are lower.
  • Stress hormones are higher.
  • Growth hormones are lower. Children and adolescents with anorexia may experience retarded growth.

The result of many of these hormonal abnormalities in women is long-term, irregular or absent menstruation (amenorrhea). This can occur early on in anorexia, even before severe weight loss. Over time this causes infertility, bone loss, and other problems. Low weight alone may not be sufficient to cause amenorrhea. Extreme fasting and purging behaviors may play an even stronger role in hormonal disturbance.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/05/2012 8:33 pm

I fasted for roughly 72 hours giver or take. Nothing but water. But the fasting only concluded what I already had guessed- that food and acne have a minimal correlation. My acne did not improve per se within those 72 hours or the days to follow. The days following I ate very little, only green veggies and such. If my acne had been caused from say caffeine, chocolate, sodas, bad dieting, ect... I feel I should have noticed at least some relief. I believe very strongly that acne is more hormonal\stress related then anything else. Perhaps if I had fasted longer I would have finally started noticing improvements. I know studys have shown that fasting does help acne, but these tests generally involved much longer fasts (10+ days). Just thought I'd share.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/06/2012 11:40 am

I fasted for roughly 72 hours giver or take. Nothing but water. But the fasting only concluded what I already had guessed- that food and acne have a minimal correlation. My acne did not improve per se within those 72 hours or the days to follow. The days following I ate very little, only green veggies and such. If my acne had been caused from say caffeine, chocolate, sodas, bad dieting, ect... I feel I should have noticed at least some relief. I believe very strongly that acne is more hormonal\stress related then anything else. Perhaps if I had fasted longer I would have finally started noticing improvements. I know studys have shown that fasting does help acne, but these tests generally involved much longer fasts (10+ days). Just thought I'd share.

your never going to see a change by only fasting once.

i much prefer the method i use of only having a 4-5 hour period to eat in a day and giving myself a "treat" day on sunday.

as with all treatments for acne you have to stick with them for a period of time before you see any major differences in your skin

i would never do any fast over 72 hours, after that it would just start to fuck you up

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 10/06/2012 2:20 pm

Hey scov93, how many calories are you getting? Are you losing weight? I would find it very hard to get about 2500 calories to maintain my weight in just a 5 hour window.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/07/2012 8:42 am

Hey scov93, how many calories are you getting? Are you losing weight? I would find it very hard to get about 2500 calories to maintain my weight in just a 5 hour window.

hi man

i usually manage to get around 3000 calories into a 4-5 hour window. i do train and play sport alot though so i need the calories im actually thinking about bulking up again slightly when i get my body fat to around 9-10%, so i'll try and up it to 3400-3500 calories

when you have you fast period you stomach will shrink abit so it can be hard, ive alway been able to just eat like a horse though lol.

just try to eat foods with high nutritional value and ditch foods with low value, eg swap regular potato for sweet potato

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/08/2012 6:53 am

Why would you purposely fast for that long?

That is a lot of time to go without any kind of nutrient in take.

I'm not sold on the fasting thing as i believe a lot more research is needed albeit a lot of interesting data is coming out of it.

However, as already stated i would suggest getting your daily in take in to 5 hour window.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/08/2012 10:29 am

Why would you purposely fast for that long?

That is a lot of time to go without any kind of nutrient in take.

I'm not sold on the fasting thing as i believe a lot more research is needed albeit a lot of interesting data is coming out of it.

However, as already stated i would suggest getting your daily in take in to 5 hour window.

I fasted that long to basically give my digestive system a rest and to remove any toxins and unwanted waste my body had been storing- there are TONS of benefits to fasting-- just google :)

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/08/2012 2:02 pm

Many, many benefits to fasting. :)

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/08/2012 9:30 pm

Here's a comment by a dude who had great success with intermittent fasting. I'll link to the article as well. Plenty of others seem to have had great success too

"I've been doing intermittent fasting since February and I only have great things to say for it! I'm a 24 year old male who works a 9-5 and is very active ( I work out 6 times a week....5 days of weights, 3 days of boxing, and a 4 and 7 mile run.) I started Intermittent fasting because I was terrified of getting fat after starting my job. I started with skipping breakfast..and then slowly pushing my lunch back. It turned into a Dinner to Dinner fast that I did 3 times a week! Initially there is some adjustment but I realize that what we often mistake as physical hunger is psychological! This plan allows me to eat freely on my off days as well! Finally I'm actually in the best shape of my life and my world no longer revolves around my diet...that freedom is amazingly liberating! Please do it gradually and I say "Don't knock it till you try it!" Good Luck!"

http://www.huffingto..._b_1557043.html

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/09/2012 7:25 am

Here's a comment by a dude who had great success with intermittent fasting. I'll link to the article as well. Plenty of others seem to have had great success too

"I've been doing intermittent fasting since February and I only have great things to say for it! I'm a 24 year old male who works a 9-5 and is very active ( I work out 6 times a week....5 days of weights, 3 days of boxing, and a 4 and 7 mile run.) I started Intermittent fasting because I was terrified of getting fat after starting my job. I started with skipping breakfast..and then slowly pushing my lunch back. It turned into a Dinner to Dinner fast that I did 3 times a week! Initially there is some adjustment but I realize that what we often mistake as physical hunger is psychological! This plan allows me to eat freely on my off days as well! Finally I'm actually in the best shape of my life and my world no longer revolves around my diet...that freedom is amazingly liberating! Please do it gradually and I say "Don't knock it till you try it!" Good Luck!"

http://www.huffingto..._b_1557043.html

I'm sorry but that proves nothing.

The dude trains 6 times a week, weights, boxing and running.

The test should be done on a sedate person and then compare the results.