Notifications
Clear all

Question About Food Sensitivity...

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 09/30/2012 7:30 pm

hi everyone!

so im removing dairy from my diet, its been one week now completely dairy free, then yesterday i ended up consuming some dairy (cheese). last night i noticed two larger bumps forming (not sure if they'll end up cysts or just big nodules) but is that a direct reaction from it or would that be too soon?

ive heard that it can take a week for a zit to appear, so just wondering how i am to judge is dairy is the culprit or not.

also- ive read lots of stuff about goat dairy being a better option than cow if you are going to eat it- any thoughts there?

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 09/30/2012 7:43 pm

Yeah it takes a little bit more time for acne to develop especially from a food trigger. Not really a week, I would say 48 hours though.

Dairy is honestly just plain unnecessary unless you are a baby cow. Cheese is not that good. But you can indulge from time to time. Idk dairy isn't a huge deal to remove out of your diet. Try rice milk for cereal as soy is known to be an acne trigger for some women.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 09/30/2012 7:58 pm

I get a reaction from Wheat within a couple of hours or less. Probably why I new I was allergic to Wheat after only 2 days without it. Guess it depends on how sensitive you are to it. I can't tolerate even trace amounts.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/30/2012 9:46 pm

Yeah it takes a little bit more time for acne to develop especially from a food trigger. Not really a week, I would say 48 hours though.

No it doesn't. I get cysts the next day from the food I'm intolerant to. Other even sooner.

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 09/30/2012 10:02 pm

It can happen to me within hours as well from corn or wheat. Sounds like dairy is your culprit.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 09/30/2012 11:44 pm

Interesting. I think it might be...

The only dairy I consume is cheese but I've been dairy free for a week (before I did eat some cheese yesterday) I use almond milk and coconut milk for cereal & coffee, otherwise I just avoid things like ice cream etc etc.

Im going to do a full month straight of no dairy at all and see how that goes, then I'll add it back in and see what happens. Its a bit tricky for me to eliminate dairy completely so I would love to know if its the culprit for sure or not.

I always thought it took a while for acne to surface but sounds like alternativista (love your posts/blog btw) breaks out right away! i did have clear skin for a week until i ate dairy and then now i have two big bumps....hmmmmm

alternativista and alexisc: do you have any other symptoms besides breakouts? i dont consume gluten 6 days a week and now dairy removal but neither bother my stomach or anything like that- just the skin. Is that normal just to have a skin issue but not a digestive one if you're sensitive to a food item?

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 10/01/2012 1:31 am

My two main allergies are corn and wheat and they both give me different symptoms.

Corn - Bad breakouts and super oily skin but no digestive issues

Wheat - Dark circles under my eyes, lack of energy, breakouts and oily skin, constipation, gas, reduced mental ability.. etc.

You don't have to have digestive issues to have an food intolerance. Many people can also fix their food allergies over time by avoiding the food, getting the right nutrients, boosting the immune system, repairing any gut issues and replenishing the gut with the right bacteria.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/01/2012 5:09 am

Dairy is honestly just plain unnecessary unless you are a baby cow. Cheese is not that good. But you can indulge from time to time. Idk dairy isn't a huge deal to remove out of your diet. Try rice milk for cereal as soy is known to be an acne trigger for some women.

This isn't true. I don't know where you're getting these numbers. I get cysts within minutes of eating something I'm allergic to. For me it happens anywhere within a few minutes to a couple of hours, depending on the allergen. Many other people have had similar experiences. It depends on the person.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/01/2012 9:29 am

thanks for the info. im really thinking dairy is the culprit here.

ill be off the stuff for a solid month and i guess ill know then how my skin is doing - if its the cause.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/01/2012 9:31 am

I always thought it took a while for acne to surface but sounds like alternativista (love your posts/blog btw) breaks out right away! i did have clear skin for a week until i ate dairy and then now i have two big bumps....hmmmmm

alternativista and alexisc: do you have any other symptoms besides breakouts? i dont consume gluten 6 days a week and now dairy removal but neither bother my stomach or anything like that- just the skin. Is that normal just to have a skin issue but not a digestive one if you're sensitive to a food item?

I have no other symptoms. Other than a constantly stuffy nose but if that's an allergy, Its to something I am always in contact with and not the food that causes the cysts.

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 10/01/2012 9:32 am

I'm still not entirely sure what substance triggers my cysts, but a piece of cake will give me an itchy feeling and a slight bump almost immediately. That bump turns into a cyst 3-7 days later. Do I have a full on cyst right away? No, but it clearly starts forming right away.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/01/2012 10:02 am

Gotcha. Thanks everyone for your help.

This is the first time I've been able to clearly link it since I removed dairy for the week & started the regimen and it was the first time i had no active acne on my chin.

Then I ate dairy and boom about 6 hours later i have 2-3 big bumps growing....

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/01/2012 3:16 pm

I'm still not entirely sure what substance triggers my cysts, but a piece of cake will give me an itchy feeling and a slight bump almost immediately. That bump turns into a cyst 3-7 days later. Do I have a full on cyst right away? No, but it clearly starts forming right away.

Yeah, for me it begins as a very painful stinging feeling deep under the skin, which progresses within an hour or two to extreme soreness and a red mark. Within 24 hours that red mark is a large cyst.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/01/2012 3:34 pm

so far all i know is i ate dairy, and 5 or 6 hours later my previously active-acne free chin had one large bump on it, and then woke up with 2 more.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/01/2012 5:15 pm

That is a very clear sign of a dairy allergy. Most definitely. But if you want to be 100% sure, give it up for a while and try it again a second time. That way you can know that this time wasn't some random thing that happened to coincide with you eating the dairy.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/01/2012 11:24 pm

Yeah thats what I'll do then. Im going to cut it out completely for a month, see how my skin is doing, then one day ill just have some dairy and see what happens the following 24-48 hours.

ive read that goat dairy is more tolerable than cow dairy... any thoughts there?

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/02/2012 4:15 am

hi everyone!

so im removing dairy from my diet, its been one week now completely dairy free, then yesterday i ended up consuming some dairy (cheese). last night i noticed two larger bumps forming (not sure if they'll end up cysts or just big nodules) but is that a direct reaction from it or would that be too soon?

ive heard that it can take a week for a zit to appear, so just wondering how i am to judge is dairy is the culprit or not.

also- ive read lots of stuff about goat dairy being a better option than cow if you are going to eat it- any thoughts there?

I doubt your body would react that quickly, assuming of course Dairy is the culprit.

A spot can be developing under your skin for up to 2 weeks before it appears.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/02/2012 4:35 am

hi guys

ive done alot of research into diet and have found its not just what we eat its also when we eat.

read link below if interested

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/321191-intermittent-fasting-you-really-need-to-try-this/page__pid__3291183#entry3291183

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/02/2012 4:58 am

hi guys

ive done alot of research into diet and have found its not just what we eat its also when we eat.

http://www.acne.org/...83#entry3291183

This is an interesting topic.

However there is not enough research to back this up and this places the blame solely on testosterone.

I know people with high testosterone and they don't have acne.

Interesting reading but it's not conclusive and diet is not a one glove fits all situation. People react differently to different foods, eating patters and so on.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/02/2012 5:03 am

hi guys

However there is not enough research to back this up and this places the blame solely on testosterone.

Interesting reading but it's not conclusive and diet is not a one glove fits all situation. People react differently to different foods, eating patters and so on.

its more IGF-1 that im interested and its affect on the reproduction of cells.

fancy giving it a go and see how it works for you ?

ive got 6 people including me on this diet and it seems to be working wonders for all of us ?

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/02/2012 5:56 am

hi guys

ive got 6 people including me on this diet and it seems to be working wonders for all of us ?

Intriguing but at the moment i'm doing a fitness project and cutting down to 8 to 10% body fat. Skipping meals is no an option.

Post up the results, no doubt it will be interesting.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:07 am

hi guys

Intriguing but at the moment i'm doing a fitness project and cutting down to 8 to 10% body fat. Skipping meals is no an option.

the point is that your not skipping meals. you can consume the same amount of calories as you would normally you just have to fit it into a smaller amount of time.

it has been shown to have a large number of benefits for athletes especially for if your wanting to loose body fat. im around 10% now and i still make gains on my weight training.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:37 am

hi guys

the point is that your not skipping meals. you can consume the same amount of calories as you would normally you just have to fit it into a smaller amount of time.

it has been shown to have a large number of benefits for athletes especially for if your wanting to loose body fat. im around 10% now and i still make gains on my weight training.

It's not about "calories" IMO. If anything i am eating more now then i did previously and i am cutting very well. My energy deficit is done in the gym through high intensity training and using the Y3T principles. Burning body fat is a lot more dependent on insulin sensitivity and hormonal stabilization than just relying on calorie deficit

I see what you saying but i am already 7 weeks into the process and do not want to stop.

For me intermittent fasting has got a long way to go . Lot's of interesting data coming out granted.

Me and my nutrition coach were talking about it a few weeks ago and both agree it looks promising but still a lot of research needs to be done.

After i finish my cut i am then doing quite an intense muscle building phase. Out of curiosity i may give I.F a go and see what occurs. However i do love eating every 3 hours lol.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:39 am

hi guys

It's not about "calories" IMO. If anything i am eating more now then i did previously and i am cutting very well. My energy deficit is done in the gym through high intensity training and using the Y3T principles. Burning body fat is a lot more dependent on insulin sensitivity and hormonal stabilization than just relying on calorie deficit

I see what you saying but i am already 7 weeks into the process and do not want to stop.

For me intermittent fasting has got a long way to go . Lot's of interesting data coming out granted.

Me and my nutrition coach were talking about it a few weeks ago and both agree it looks promising but still a lot of research needs to be done.

After i finish my cut i am then doing quite an intense muscle building phase. Out of curiosity i may give I.F a go and see what occurs. However i do love eating every 3 hours lol.

fair enough mate, what you training for ?

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:50 am

hi guys

fair enough mate, what you training for ?

For me :D

Never been down to 8% body fat, it's a personal challenge really.

I was laid out most of last year due to a viral infection, lost all my fitness and put a belly on. Started 27% body fat 4 months ago now down to 13%.

The current phase i'm doing is 12 to 16 weeks long and i working with Scott Baptie from foodfortfitness.co.uk He is an awesome nutritionist. Learned a lot from him.