Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Juntothehoe

I Have Inflamed Cystic Acne And Don't Know How To Cure It, Please Help.

Hi, I'm a 19 years old male who has been struggling with cystic acne since I was 15. It started with two cysts that grew somewhere behind my ear lobes, with one on each side. They would swell up and itch and hurt alot and ooze out pus, and cause my ear lobes to be swollen and filled with scar tissue. I had a surgery to remove the 2 cysts (and small incisions to remove the scar tissue in my ear lobe) but now they're growing back again and I feel pretty unhappy.

At the same time when I was 15, my face started to have large, blotchy cysts which have no "heads" so I couldn't remove them at all. They are also pretty rigid. If I wanted to extract them, I had to go to the doctor's or beautician's and endure the pain as they poked needles to try to squeeze the pus out. Usually not much improvement is seen and after a few days another cyst sprouts up. I'm 19 now and the cysts have become worse than when I was younger; they are significantly more solid than watery and hurt even more. To make matters worse, I have countless of whiteheads (I have NEVER EVER had whiteheads, until now) that grew out of nowhere.

I am currently on Roaccutane 20mg per day (unable to increase dosage as I'm in the army and an increase would be risky). It has been about a month and a half but I barely see any results. In fact, it has gotten worse. I went through a Roaccutane cycle for a year when I was 17, and it gave me the best skin I have seen in years. Unfortunately, I had to stop Roaccutane prior to my enlistment in the army as it was prohibited. I only recently managed to convince the medical officer to allow me to take 20mg of Roaccutane per day, hence you can say I'm on Round 2.

For facewashes and creams, I'm currently using a water based organic face wash which does not seem to be doing anything beneficial for my skin. I apply Clindagel in the morning and Differin at night, as recommended by my dermatologist. Both creams do not seem to be helpful at all.

I am feeling extremely flustered at my situation and would appreciate if someone has any advice for me. I'm at the prime of my teenage/adult life and I don't even feel confident enough to go out and have fun anymore. On my recent 19th birthday I pretty much spent the evening crying.

I dont have anything treatment wise to suggest to you, but I do have a few points you could consider.

-Accutane takes a long time to work, it will work on 20mg, but it will just take longer. If your skin is getting worse it could be your initial breakout so just hang on in there!

-You're a soldier, and thats an incredibly noble thing to be, and says a lot about your character. I bet no one you work with cares about your skin, and I very much doubt anybody else will taking into account what you do and what that says about you. I know that's not helpful, but it might help you hang onto some hope.

- I believe cystic acne is more to do with inflammation (I get it too) so perhaps a strong anti-inflammation anti oxidant might help? No expert myself, but maybe google will reveal something. I'm assuming you have no control over your diet.

Generally, even though it sucks, try not to let it stress you out TOO much.

I dont have anything treatment wise to suggest to you, but I do have a few points you could consider.

-Accutane takes a long time to work, it will work on 20mg, but it will just take longer. If your skin is getting worse it could be your initial breakout so just hang on in there!

-You're a soldier, and thats an incredibly noble thing to be, and says a lot about your character. I bet no one you work with cares about your skin, and I very much doubt anybody else will taking into account what you do and what that says about you. I know that's not helpful, but it might help you hang onto some hope.

- I believe cystic acne is more to do with inflammation (I get it too) so perhaps a strong anti-inflammation anti oxidant might help? No expert myself, but maybe google will reveal something. I'm assuming you have no control over your diet.

Generally, even though it sucks, try not to let it stress you out TOO much.

Thanks for your advice!

I think the current cream that my derm has given to me is too weak. I might look around at the drugstore and see if there is something stronger.

Oh and I come from a country where men are conscripted into the military, but thank you for that words of inspiration :)