Notifications
Clear all

Still Not Seeing Many Results (Pics)

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/29/2012 5:58 pm

Hey all. Now some of you may have seen my posts before, but I really need help on this one. I would appreciate if you read.

I'm 16 and I have been on Accutane 30mg, once a day, for 65 days so far. I got a big initial breakout, something I didn't expect to be so severe. I have at least 4/5 cysts at a time right now. 2 on my right cheek, 2 on my left, 1 on my left side (next to the eye) and 2 on the jawline (1 on the left and 1 on the right). It hurts to smile, to even move my mouth, and some pimples randomly pop from nowhere, and it has happened to me in school. It kills me to know I've gone this far and still no major change. The only things that accutane has done so far that's good is the removal of my blackheads, and the removal of my chest acne. I still get pimples on my upper arms, shoulders, and back. I still get pimples on my cheeks, forehead, sides, chin and jaw.

I also have very dry skin now, and scabbing is something that is growing on me. My pimples tend to get little scabs on them that take ages for them to fall off. Sometimes when I'm on the shower, I take a mirror and remove them gently, but idk if I should even do that.

It's hard to see myself every day in the mirror. This acne has changed my life completely so far. I don't feel like having a girlfriend yet because I don't want her to live through acne like me, if you know what I mean. I can't play soccer because of my broken finger but also because I fear the ball hitting my face. When I wake up in the morning, sometimes my pillow case had blood stains on them because of my pimples randomly popping at night. It's hard to go through this. I feel ugly, I feel weird, I don't feel like going out in public. I'm not depressed or anything, it's just the breakout that scarred me emotionally.

Well, here's some pics for you all to see how it is:

post-182234-0-78526400-1348959414_thumb.

post-182234-0-21647700-1348959422_thumb.

post-182234-0-45464300-1348959430_thumb.

I would appreciate tips and help. It'll give me hope. I tried telling my derm to raise the dosage but he said that I'm apparently at my max for my weight (30mg, I weigh 168 lb) which I don't believe but w/e.

Thanks yo smile.png

post-182234-0-78526400-1348959414_thumb.

post-182234-0-21647700-1348959422_thumb.

post-182234-0-45464300-1348959430_thumb.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 09/29/2012 6:16 pm

I don't have much experience with Accutane, but I'm curious... What's your diet like? What do you eat normally for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/29/2012 8:00 pm

I don't have much experience with Accutane, but I'm curious... What's your diet like? What do you eat normally for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

I eat really healthy at home. I do lack in terms of fruit but I do eat a lot of green and drink plenty of water. I don't drink soda, eat chocolate, cookies, or any of that. In school, since there is no healthy food, I just get a ham and cheese sandwich where I take out the cheese. For breakfast normally a glass of milk or OJ and some bread with spread or honey. Lunch is a salad w/ food like rice with eggs or stuff like that, and dinner is normal food like lunch, sometimes subway (Flatbread, Tuna and Lettuce only) or Taco bell (soft taco with meat and lettuce, no cheese.)

MemberMember
(@clear-as-mud)

Posted : 09/29/2012 8:16 pm

Try cutting out the milk and I noticed that you eat a lot of bread. Bread contains gluten and gluten can be really problematic for people with acne. Also I know it can be hard to avoid fast food like Subway, McDonalds, Buger King, etc but try to stay away from them.

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/29/2012 11:22 pm

Try cutting out the milk and I noticed that you eat a lot of bread. Bread contains gluten and gluten can be really problematic for people with acne. Also I know it can be hard to avoid fast food like Subway, McDonalds, Buger King, etc but try to stay away from them.

Alright, I'll try that. I usually don't eat bread in the mornings (only like 2 mornings in the week I eat bread) but the milk is pretty often. I also have soy milk at my house; would that help?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/29/2012 11:26 pm

Alright, I'll try that. I usually don't eat bread in the mornings (only like 2 mornings in the week I eat bread) but the milk is pretty often. I also have soy milk at my house; would that help?

No, dairy milk and soy milk cause problems for a lot of people, for different reasons, but stay away from both.

If you must have something that tastes like milk, try Blue Diamond Almond Breeze or Rice Dream.

MemberMember
(@darkdragoon)

Posted : 09/30/2012 1:32 am

Your derm said 30mg for 168lbs is the max? Push him to increase your dosage or consider getting a new derm. I really don't think 30mg is nearly strong enough for you. I weigh 135 and am taking 60mg per day, and my derm originally wanted me to take 80. And my acne is mild. In my unprofessional opinion, you should be on at least 60, 80 would be better.

The minimum reccomended cumulative dosage is 120 mg per kg. Assuming you're taking a 6 month course you're only at 71, which is the lowest I've ever heard. I'm hoping you're on a longer course than 6 months.

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/30/2012 8:09 am

Your derm said 30mg for 168lbs is the max? Push him to increase your dosage or consider getting a new derm. I really don't think 30mg is nearly strong enough for you. I weigh 135 and am taking 60mg per day, and my derm originally wanted me to take 80. And my acne is mild. In my unprofessional opinion, you should be on at least 60, 80 would be better.

The minimum reccomended cumulative dosage is 120 mg per kg. Assuming you're taking a 6 month course you're only at 71, which is the lowest I've ever heard. I'm hoping you're on a longer course than 6 months.

I kept on telling him to put me on 30 mg 2x a day and he still didn't want to increase it because of my skin. He said that it was dry enough (It's only dry on the cheeks) and it was because I had scabs before that hadn't fallen off yet. I would change of derm but he's the only one in the area. When we got out of the office, the derm's assistant was surprised he didn't raise my dosage. I want a 5 month-6month course, not a 9-10. I'm getting frustrated.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/30/2012 9:04 am

I agree with the above poster. For your weight you should at least be between 40-60mg. But in any event, even if it may take longer, accutane more likely than not will help you.

Try to surround yourself with positive people who love and care for you. Focus on things you enjoy and i find that blogging/writing down your journey helps you see progress especially when you feel down.

Keep your head up and keep on keeping on

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 09/30/2012 9:26 am

i really recommend you try intermittent fasting paired with some form of strenuous exercise a couple of times a week. i've seen great results in a short period of time. plus maybe take a probiotic once a day it can help with some of the side effects accutane has on you gut

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/30/2012 12:01 pm

I agree with the above poster. For your weight you should at least be between 40-60mg. But in any event, even if it may take longer, accutane more likely than not will help you.

Try to surround yourself with positive people who love and care for you. Focus on things you enjoy and i find that blogging/writing down your journey helps you see progress especially when you feel down.

Keep your head up and keep on keeping on

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I talk and chill with my friends always and we always laugh and make my day better. My dad is going to call the derm tomorrow to hopefully get my dose increased, since I too think 30mg is too little. I'm 6'1, 168 pounds. I'm pretty sure my body can handle 40-60 mg. I want a 5 month course, not a 10.

MemberMember
(@lweaver15)

Posted : 09/30/2012 2:22 pm

Im 6 foot 160 and im on 60mg a day for a 6 month course which will put me right at 150mg per lb of body weight or however it goes and my is bad but a little milder then yours. Like stated I wouldnt strongly ask to get it raised. I asked to have mine raised but they denied me because 60 mg's is working pretty well. If you want you can check my latest thread and see how 60mgs has helped me. Stay postive and strong.

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/30/2012 3:07 pm

Im 6 foot 160 and im on 60mg a day for a 6 month course which will put me right at 150mg per lb of body weight or however it goes and my is bad but a little milder then yours. Like stated I wouldnt strongly ask to get it raised. I asked to have mine raised but they denied me because 60 mg's is working pretty well. If you want you can check my latest thread and see how 60mgs has helped me. Stay postive and strong.

Thanks man. I told my derm like last week (since I went to the usual checkup) and he apparently said I was "on track". I told him to raise me but he kept on saying that my skin layers which had deep acne are flourishing to the surface of my skin and that I was 0.5 mg away from my max (which I instantly knew was pure bs, because for example, you're an inch smaller than me and 8 pounds and taking double that what I'm taking, and I have it a bit more severe than you.) My dad will talk to him tomorrow demanding a dosage increase (hopefully to 60mg because that sounds right). Stay strong also man.

MemberMember
(@blester33)

Posted : 10/01/2012 7:22 pm

Hey! I just wanted to share with you that I completely know what you're going through. I'm 16 also and even though my acne has cleared (in terms of pimples) I have scarring all over my face. and its like the pimple never left, it's still there cause I have red marks everywhere. And what I want to tell you is that my aunt had the most horrendous acne ever, and accutane saved her, and my dad, and one of my friends. IT WILL WORK!!!! You just have to be patient, remember things don't work very quickly, Accutane will work, you just need to wait it out. In terms of the emotional aspect, well that's the worse. My family doesn't understand me,.. they think that I'm being a drama queen, sometimes I faked sick just because I couldn't bare facing anybody.. it's awful, and it's unfair and it sucks. But I tell myself everytime that it's going to pass. Not today, tomorrow, but eventually. Just be strong, continue eating healthy and don't give up!! If you ever need to tell me anything I'm totally here for you! <3

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 10/01/2012 10:15 pm

Hey! I just wanted to share with you that I completely know what you're going through. I'm 16 also and even though my acne has cleared (in terms of pimples) I have scarring all over my face. and its like the pimple never left, it's still there cause I have red marks everywhere. And what I want to tell you is that my aunt had the most horrendous acne ever, and accutane saved her, and my dad, and one of my friends. IT WILL WORK!!!! You just have to be patient, remember things don't work very quickly, Accutane will work, you just need to wait it out. In terms of the emotional aspect, well that's the worse. My family doesn't understand me,.. they think that I'm being a drama queen, sometimes I faked sick just because I couldn't bare facing anybody.. it's awful, and it's unfair and it sucks. But I tell myself everytime that it's going to pass. Not today, tomorrow, but eventually. Just be strong, continue eating healthy and don't give up!! If you ever need to tell me anything I'm totally here for you! <3

You just made my day. Thanks :) Tomorrow I'm going to the derm nonetheless and he wants to see if I should really get an increase or not (probably will to 40mg or 50mg). And I'll keep your words in mind. Thanks again :)

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 10/03/2012 4:24 pm

UPDATE:

So I went to the derm yesterday and he told me he wasn't going to raise the dose because my skin was really really dry (which is true) even though I use moisturizer. He said that if he increased it, my skin could get more acne or the dryness could become something permanent, even after the treatment, so he decided to keep me at 30mg a day (which I understand). He had prescribed me a box of Medrol for 1 week treatment. He said that it will drastically reduce my swelling and cysts, making the job easier for Accutane (he referred to it as "It goes just as good as bread and butter). I didn't take it the week before because my mom had taken it once and she actually got even more swollen, so she feared that happening to me. When I told this to the derm, he told me I had to take the Medrol to help Accutane work more effectively (which is completely true). Today I started the Medrol and even though the cyst size hasn't reduced (obviously since I just started today), I feel much less pressure on my face now. Sorry for not telling you that guys, forgot to put it in. I also use moisturizer to prevent extreme dryness, and it seems to have kicked in today.

So that's basically it. My accutane journey isn't going to be as rough now. I actually feel and see improvement. About to end week 1 of Month 3, so I just have to wait and see improvement. I would like to receive feedback. Thanks all and get better as well :)