Notifications
Clear all

12 Days In With A Couple Of Questions

MemberMember
(@jsc9879)

Posted : 09/29/2012 3:47 pm

My mild acne is disappearing rapidly and I'm only 12 days in! (I'm no where near perfect, but mild acne has cleared 50%)

However, before I took accutane I would never have more than one cyst at a time, but now I have about three by the chin, one near the mouth, and one on the cheek.

This cystic acne is only red on the outside, and you can only see the bump when I flex my face (like sucking my lower lip to stretch the chin, or opening my mouth to see the bump near my mouth)

My question is this - Do these bumps HAVE to come to a head eventually? Or can they die before they ever surface? There is no whitehead in site for any so I know not to pick at them but I would like to know what to expect. Thanks!

By the way, only side effect is dry lips but its not that bad! Everything is going smoothly

MemberMember
(@jkel777)

Posted : 09/30/2012 12:15 pm

I think I know what you're talking about. I would sometimes get a big red bump on my chin and my forehead during the course. I'm on day 33, and from what I can tell, sometimes they come to a head, and sometimes they don't, for me at least. The ones on my chin seem to just stay red, but decrease in size after a day or so, and the ones on my forehead seem to become a whitehead more often than not.

Good luck with your Accutane course!

MemberMember
(@katylou)

Posted : 09/30/2012 3:42 pm

If they're cystic they might not ever come to a head - I used to get spots like that and they just went away eventually.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/30/2012 5:07 pm

My mild acne is disappearing rapidly and I'm only 12 days in! (I'm no where near perfect, but mild acne has cleared 50%)

However, before I took accutane I would never have more than one cyst at a time, but now I have about three by the chin, one near the mouth, and one on the cheek.

This cystic acne is only red on the outside, and you can only see the bump when I flex my face (like sucking my lower lip to stretch the chin, or opening my mouth to see the bump near my mouth)

My question is this - Do these bumps HAVE to come to a head eventually? Or can they die before they ever surface? There is no whitehead in site for any so I know not to pick at them but I would like to know what to expect. Thanks!

By the way, only side effect is dry lips but its not that bad! Everything is going smoothly

I have found that they must either come to a head or be atrophied by a cortisone shot. If one of those two things doesn't happen, that bugger will keep receding and coming back. Some of mine did that for years until either strong retinoids pushed them to surface, or I got a cortisone shot.

MemberMember
(@lightattheend)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:48 pm

Hey,

I had a large cyst recently (I'm about 4 months in to my accutane treatment) and the doctor said there wasn't much I could do about it, and it might just go away on its own. I did some research and found that if you apply a heat pack (not too hot!) it helps 'melt' the waxy material inside the cyst and your body will then clear it away naturally. It worked a charm and was gone within a week (I used the heat pack for about 15 mins each night)

If it doesn't look like its getting a head, try that, and don't squeeze it! The last thing you want to do is try bring it to the surface if it's not going to come, and cause yourself scarring.