Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plots

Going For No Dairy Diet For First Time, Can I Keep Protein Powders/bars? (Info Inside)

Hi I am 20 years old and have moderate acne. One thing I never tried was a no dairy diet. I really think this could be my big break where I get rid of acne. I love dairy, but am willing to give up milk, cheese, yogurt. I am fine with mixing my protein powder with water. Problem is, my protein powder says it contains milk ingredients. So does my protein bars. More specifically it says "Contains milk and soy ingredients". Are these isolated ingredients that won't cause acne or must I also cut these out for a real no dairy acne diet? Thank you for reading.

They most likely contain whey protein, which is milk. If you can, switch to either soy, egg, or plant protein.

They most likely contain whey protein, which is milk. If you can, switch to either soy, egg, or plant protein.

Thanks for the reply. Any specific brands you recomend? I had no idea whey protein really was milk.

Also if a protein bar says something like "may contain traces of dairy". Would that be ok?

Look at the ingredients in whatever you are eating or drinking. If it has whey protein or milk in it, avoid it. There are so many different brands you can go with. I just get whatever i see at the market. Also, hemp seed protein is good too. It's very caloric and a lot of people use it that are sensitive to dairy. Add some flax seed oil and some peanut butter and you'll get some bulk.

Look at the ingredients in whatever you are eating or drinking. If it has whey protein or milk in it, avoid it. There are so many different brands you can go with. I just get whatever i see at the market. Also, hemp seed protein is good too. It's very caloric and a lot of people use it that are sensitive to dairy. Add some flax seed oil and some peanut butter and you'll get some bulk.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll report back in November and tell you how this new diet affects my acne.

Please don't make the mistake of switching to soy protein. Soy is absolutely horrible for people, especially acne sufferers. It's a very common allergen and hard on the body in general. Get your protein from real food.