Notifications
Clear all

Very Oily Skin

MemberMember
(@pinkorange)

Posted : 09/28/2012 6:15 am

I have very oily skin. From what I've read, I think one other person on here has described a situation which is close to mine. Between 15 to 20 minutes after washing my face, it will be oily again and the fact that I wear make-up makes it that much more difficult to maintain. I usually wear a very minimal amount of concealer and will dab at my face constantly. However, near my eyebrows and my eyes (in the hollows of my eyes and underneath) I have eye-shadow, mascara, eyeliner and all that so I can't really dab there and by the end of the day, those areas are shiny as hell.

Every photo of me is ruined by the shine. I honestly look sickly, like there's something wrong with me. And that's in normal situations. On a hot and humid day or at clubs and parties - forget about! Suffice it to say, I hate it.

I'll be going to the dermatologist soon to see if he'll prescribe spiro as recommenced by some of you here. In the mean time, does anyone know really good topical products to maintain oil production? So far I only use Neutrogena Deep Clean Long-Last Shine Control which only results in my face not getting shiny for maybe two hours instead of 20 minutes.

Please help neutral.gif

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/28/2012 8:59 am

Stress, diet, poor digestion could be the reason. Drink a cup of vegetable juice daily (carrot, cucumber, celery) or powdered wheat grass juice. Hardcore yoga like headstand and shoulder stand will also help.

MemberMember
(@pinkorange)

Posted : 09/29/2012 3:11 pm

I appreciate the reply but like I said, I'm looking for some guidence as to topical products. There are a lot of cleansers and toners out there, even lotions so I'm just wondering if anyone has experince with any of these.

MemberMember
(@nfamousjade)

Posted : 09/30/2012 12:48 pm

I used murad oil control mattifier spf 15. Its great keeps me less oily throughout the day.get a sample from sephora. Its a moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/30/2012 5:13 pm

I have very oily skin. From what I've read, I think one other person on here has described a situation which is close to mine. Between 15 to 20 minutes after washing my face, it will be oily again and the fact that I wear make-up makes it that much more difficult to maintain. I usually wear a very minimal amount of concealer and will dab at my face constantly. However, near my eyebrows and my eyes (in the hollows of my eyes and underneath) I have eye-shadow, mascara, eyeliner and all that so I can't really dab there and by the end of the day, those areas are shiny as hell.

Every photo of me is ruined by the shine. I honestly look sickly, like there's something wrong with me. And that's in normal situations. On a hot and humid day or at clubs and parties - forget about! Suffice it to say, I hate it.

I'll be going to the dermatologist soon to see if he'll prescribe spiro as recommenced by some of you here. In the mean time, does anyone know really good topical products to maintain oil production? So far I only use Neutrogena Deep Clean Long-Last Shine Control which only results in my face not getting shiny for maybe two hours instead of 20 minutes.

Please help neutral.gif

When you go to the dermatologist, ask for a sulfur-sulfacetamide wash (one brand is Perrigo) as well, this can help tide things over until the spiro reduces your oil production.

I never found an OTC wash that was drying enough.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 09/30/2012 5:21 pm

Honestly I didn't believe it at first but mint tea. Bigelow has a wonderful one that's called Mint Medley I believe and you can use it as a toner topically or just drink it like I and some others have. It really makes your pores feel smaller, cleaner, and WAY less oily.

I admit it tastes.. interesting. But I hate mint so it could be that. It seriously works though and it's super cheap. Just buy some at Wal-Mart or wherever really.

I have disgustingly oily skin too and wear makeup also so I feel your pain. What kind of concealer do you use? All the ones I have tried that say they're noncomedogenic make my face look dry and nasty or rub right off with the slightest touch. I just use way too much makeup constantly. I use Almay Clear Complexion foundation and concealer but I need a change, that's for sure. I have the makeup mask and it's soooo oober thick.

MemberMember
(@pinkorange)

Posted : 10/02/2012 5:49 am

Awesome suggestions guys ! I will def ask my dermatologist about sulfur-sulfacetamide and hope he'll actually be willing to perscribe it. I'l also check out murad oil control and mint tea.

I have disgustingly oily skin too and wear makeup also so I feel your pain. What kind of concealer do you use? All the ones I have tried that say they're noncomedogenic make my face look dry and nasty or rub right off with the slightest touch. I just use way too much makeup constantly.

MemberMember
(@mini7)

Posted : 10/02/2012 5:10 pm

Hi PinkOrange,

I can really relate to your post because I have one of the oiliest complexions out there. One product that has been a godsend for me has been Paula's Choice's Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish. It comes in a tube and I apply it over my foundation. The instructions say you can do it either over or under your make up and I've tried both ways and had the best results with over the make up. I seriously don't know how I got by before this product, it has been so wonderful for me. I can go about 5-6 hours without even dabbing my face once, whereas before my face was already oily within 2 hours of washing it. Also don't even bother with cream moisturizers as they just make your face oilier. Use serums or gel based moisturizers. Paula's Choice has some good options. Something else I do is use plain green tea as a toner. I make about half a cup and keep it in the refrigerator for a week and apply it to my face morning and night. It refreshes your skin and really closes up the pores. Well good luck with everything, I hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 10/03/2012 7:21 pm

Oh yeah and I totally forgot about Neutrogena's Healthy skin shine control primer with rice stuff in it. It dries your skin, that's for suuuure. It did too much for me but my skin has been strangely dry/normal lately. Hmm. Been drinking lots of water, idk.

MemberMember
(@pinkorange)

Posted : 10/07/2012 7:37 am

One product that has been a godsend for me has been Paula's Choice's Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish.

I'll try it out eventually. I went out and ended up foldinging on the Cover FX Matte Setting Powder. Afterwards, I came home and search some reviews but I guess it's new? So there are no reviews for that specific product. Set me back almost $40 though, hope it works.

Oh yeah and I totally forgot about Neutrogena's Healthy skin shine control primer with rice stuff in it. It dries your skin, that's for suuuure. It did too much for me but my skin has been strangely dry/normal lately. Hmm. Been drinking lots of water, idk.

I've been drinking at least 2.5 litres of water a day and the only real result I have is going to the bathroom every fifteen damn minutes.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 10/07/2012 10:38 am

One product that has been a godsend for me has been Paula's Choice's Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish.

I'll try it out eventually. I went out and ended up foldinging on the Cover FX Matte Setting Powder. Afterwards, I came home and search some reviews but I guess it's new? So there are no reviews for that specific product. Set me back almost $40 though, hope it works.

I've been drinking at least 2.5 litres of water a day and the only real result I have is going to the bathroom every fifteen damn minutes.

The only mattifier that actually works properly is Milk of Magnesia.

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/07/2012 1:12 pm

One time I woke up and it looked like someone sprayed me with water. At work I usually soak the oil by rolling my face on paper.