Notifications
Clear all

Red, Infrared And Yellow Leds

MemberMember
(@kristabel)

Posted : 09/27/2012 9:55 am

I was having regular dermaroller treatments and after my last one in February i started using the red, infrared and yellow LEDs

I do not plan to have any more dermaroller treatments and after the last one i used the LEDs for about 2 months then didnt bother with them any more.

Now i have started using them again but was wondering if there is any point in starting doing this again 6 months after the dermaroller treatment?

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 09/27/2012 10:13 am

Probably doesn't hurt, but doesn't help you that much either. It might still have some kind of a positive effect, I guess. I haven't tried LEDs myself, but I've been reading about them and am considering them.

Did you find the dermaroller + LED treatments helpful? :) What kind of scars were you treating?

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 09/28/2012 6:32 am

Here is the link to LEDMans forum.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/LEDeffects/

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 09/28/2012 8:25 am

Does anyone think LED lights can cause skin damage? The following thread contains several links which say they do...

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=39886

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 09/28/2012 9:52 am

The link in the thread about heat from the sun causing aging at least seems bogus to me. They tested infrared exposure that was comparable to a couple of hours in the sun, and that apparently caused collagen break down in the skin. I sincerely doubt normal levels of infra-red that you could get naturally by being outdoors would be harmful to your skin in any way. Only excessive use of LEDs that could not be matched by being in the sun ('unnatural' amounts) I could truly see as worrying. I have yet to research if this could be a problem or not.

Does anyone know what the approximate exposure of using LEDs for 5 minutes a day is, and whether it is higher than what you could get by being in daylight? I know the figures are somewhere on the forum, but I don't have time to look them up right now.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 09/28/2012 10:19 am

I asked a dermatologist yesterday what she thought about the lights and she just said she couldn't endorse them, but that they are similar to "getting a little sun which we all do". Kind of an odd answer for a derm and not very helpful. I read some reviews of various devices where people reported getting sunspots or worsening hyperpigmentation. One woman posted that she was denied a treatment because they said it would worsen her melasma. Also, the fact that they help acne...as the sun does...just made me worry that it is too similar to being in the sun. I don't know the answer though.

MemberMember
(@nyssa)

Posted : 10/02/2012 9:47 am

I doubt LEDs are going to do any damage to the skin if you use them for just 5 minutes a day. The worst thing for your skin is UV rays, not infrared. People themselves emit infrared. The initial studies done by NASA found infrared and red promoted wound healing - which is why using LEDs 6 months after rolling as opposed to immediately after rolling may not necessarily be all that helpful.

With that being said, there are two areas you should protect when using LEDS - the eyes (obvious to most people) and the thyroid.