Notifications
Clear all

Panoxyl 10 Discontinued, Move To Quinoderm?

MemberMember
(@matt2013)

Posted : 09/27/2012 7:01 am

Hi, sorry in advance for such a long message but please bear with me :).

I've been using panoxyl 10 aquagel on my face and body (with the panoxyl 10 wash on my body in the mornings) for the last year and a half and it made a massive improvement to my skin. Before it I was prescribed Duac by my doctor and whilst that helped compared to using nothing at all, my skin was still very unpredictable and would breakout very regularly (it never made any significant improvement with my back/chest). So half way through my first year at uni the doctor then put me onto panoxyl 10 and slowly but surely this started to work pretty well, probably due to the stronger concentration of benzoyl peroxide. For the rest of first year and all of second year my skin, although never completely perfect, was at a very manageable stage and i could predict when i was starting to break out with the odd spot rather than just waking up one morning finding my face was covered. During the whole of summer its been pretty tough to get hold of any panoxyl products but pharmacists were always saying that it was just a supply issue so i assumed the issue would eventually be sorted. And then a week ago, literally the day i head back to uni for my 3rd year, i finally find out that the panoxyl line had been discontiued. So as 10% benzoyl peroxide has been so affective on my skin i looked for a substitute to panoxyl and came across quinoderm.

I've been using it since saturday and my skin has started to go back to how it looked when i first started uni when i wasn't using 10%BP and its really got to me. My face has started breaking out in really obvious angry red spots and i can see more under the skin when my face catches the light in a certain way. I've read on the internet that some people say that although it contains 10%BP it isnt as strong as panoxyl 10.

I was just wondering if anyone else has changed from panoxyl 10 to quinoderm in the past and whether your skin got worse before it got better? I'm really don't want to go back to how my skin was and at 20 i thought i'd found myself a regime that worked and made me less insecure. I'm already dreading my girlfriend moving back up to uni and seeing my skin, even though i know she wont bother to me its a massive deal.

If anyone could shed any light on how they reacted i'd be extremely grateful!

MemberMember
(@philip278)

Posted : 09/27/2012 9:11 am

You can still buy Panoxyl 10 online, I think. The 2.5 and 5 are sold out, but there is still some Panocyl 10 out there. Just google it! And hurry!

MemberMember
(@matt2013)

Posted : 09/27/2012 10:24 am

You can still buy Panoxyl 10 online, I think. The 2.5 and 5 are sold out, but there is still some Panocyl 10 out there. Just google it! And hurry!

Ye there is still some about, however people are selling tubes of Panoxyl 10 aquagel for around 9-10 on places like ebay and that'll bankrupt me pretty quickly. I'm hoping that there's a light at the end of the tunnel using this quinoderm 10%BP and i can switch to using it regularly like I did with the panoxyl, if not i don't know what i'll use that my skin will find as affective. I've ordered the oxy 10 facewash off the internet so fingers crossed that in conjuction with the quinoderm will work.

MemberMember
(@matt2013)

Posted : 09/28/2012 6:30 am

Surely there are other people who have been forced to change from panoxyl 10 to quinoderm? I can't be the only one can I? :(

MemberMember
(@modman)

Posted : 09/28/2012 10:23 am

This is indeed panic time. The whole Panoxyl range has been discontinued sad.png

HELP! apart from Dan which I am shortly going to put an order for, is there no other brand which is fairly priced???

MemberMember
(@vermont777)

Posted : 09/30/2012 6:05 am

Yes, I just found out about the Panoxyl line being disontinued. My dermatologist's office left me a message that I can use any Benzoyl Peroxide product OTC instead. Unfortunately, I know that over the years that is just not true. Add me to the panic list. I have enough left for a few months, but after that I have no idea what I will be using. The thought of trying a bunch of products all over again makes me ill. I wish it would at least become aprescription drug again (Panoxyl Cream used to be Brevoxyl, a Rx).

MemberMember
(@anewflame)

Posted : 10/03/2012 10:33 am

Hi everyone!

I too had the same problem a few months back when they discontinued the 2.5% stuff so I'll save you all the hassle if you're in this position since I received a lovely message not long ago from the manufacturers of Panoxyl saying they had no plans to reintroduce the stuff.

Quinoderm is a terrible replacement, it burns like all hell, rubs off easily and I wouldn't wish it upon my enemy - definitely not suitable for mild acne and certainly no replacement for Panoxyl.

Dan's BP (I'll be careful what I say here!) did not work from me. It's a lot thinner than Panoxyl, took about five times longer to try and I was left with about the same amount of acne. However, clearly it works for some people. If you're a girl - forget putting make up on top of it too.

Epiduo (2.5% BP w/ retinol?) makes you peel like a snake. Literally you can peel your whole face off. And you'll still have acne to boot!

Benzac (2.5% BP) = the answer. Skin is 100% clear after two weeks (I do stick the regimen religiously, it has to be said), completely absorbs excess grease and is easy to put make up on top of. Only problem is it is kinda stupidly expensive if you don't buy it en masse.

Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@leitot)

Posted : 10/03/2012 9:51 pm

Guys, I had the same problem. I've found Persagel to be comparable.

MemberMember
(@philip278)

Posted : 10/04/2012 5:15 am

Hi everyone!

I too had the same problem a few months back when they discontinued the 2.5% stuff so I'll save you all the hassle if you're in this position since I received a lovely message not long ago from the manufacturers of Panoxyl saying they had no plans to reintroduce the stuff.

Quinoderm is a terrible replacement, it burns like all hell, rubs off easily and I wouldn't wish it upon my enemy - definitely not suitable for mild acne and certainly no replacement for Panoxyl.

Dan's BP (I'll be careful what I say here!) did not work from me. It's a lot thinner than Panoxyl, took about five times longer to try and I was left with about the same amount of acne. However, clearly it works for some people. If you're a girl - forget putting make up on top of it too.

Epiduo (2.5% BP w/ retinol?) makes you peel like a snake. Literally you can peel your whole face off. And you'll still have acne to boot!

Benzac (2.5% BP) = the answer. Skin is 100% clear after two weeks (I do stick the regimen religiously, it has to be said), completely absorbs excess grease and is easy to put make up on top of. Only problem is it is kinda stupidly expensive if you don't buy it en masse.

Hope this helps.

Anewflame thank you! Do you know where can I buy Benzac in the UK?

MemberMember
(@anewflame)

Posted : 10/04/2012 6:06 am

Hi everyone!

Hope this helps.

No probs! It's an Australian brand and so will need to be shipped over, I paid around 4 for a 20g tube - basically half the size of Panoxyl for twice the price. You can get it a little cheaper if you shop around and especially if you buy in bulk. Personally it's a price I'm willing to pay for clear skin but just a heads up it can get pretty pricey.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/05/2012 8:40 am

Quinoderm 10% cream is just as strong as PanOxyl 10%...both contain 10% benzoyl peroxide. Only difference is that Quinoderm contains an antibacterial/antifungal ingredient as well:

Active ingredients in Quinoderm:

Benzoyl Peroxide, hydrous 10.0% w/w

Potassium Hydroxyquinoline Sulphate 0.5% w/w - this being the anti-bacterial/anti-fungal

Lactic Acid,

White Soft Paraffin,

Edetic Acid,

Sodium Dihydrogen Phosphate Dihydrate,

Maize Starch,

Cetostearyl Alcohol,

Sodium Cetostearyl Sulphate,

Macrogol 40 Castor Oil,

Purified Water.

It's possible that the Potassium is making you break out. I have used the Quinoderm range for a while and I can't fault it...I think it's by far the best, for me anyway. But my skin is tough and unsensitive, I can put pretty much anything on it and it won't cause a reaction. I would say my skin is 80% clear after using it for a month and a half.

Also, are you lactose intolerant? Lactic acid will cause a reaction if you are.

Are you following the instructions properly? The cream needs to be gently rubbed in until no white residue remains, which usually takes up to 20 seconds. Two pea-sized blobs are enough to cover your entire face and maybe a bit of your neck. If you have a residue on your face after rubbing it in, you've used too much and need to wash the excess off. Yes, it can tingle a bit around the lip area, though I don't mind, if it burns really bad, you should probably wash it off and stop using it, and talk to your doctor. There are other benzoyl peroxide preparations that you can get, but only on prescription.

If you have sensitive skin, a 10% solution is going to be irritating, no matter what brand.

MemberMember
(@freddyharte)

Posted : 10/11/2012 6:13 pm

Hi everyone!

Hope this helps.

its on ebay uk.

i think i might try it. my panoxyl will run out soon.

MemberMember
(@lightersup)

Posted : 10/13/2012 3:11 pm

I recommend Oxy Maximum Face Wash. It has 10% BP and worked wonders in clearing up my face.