Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beautifuldoll

Can You Have A Sucessful Career If You Are A Recluse?

We've all heard the saying it's not what you know it's who you know. Even in real life people say networking is important. It is important as to what you may find out to help you along the way but also having people that you know doing the same as you will motivate you, encourage you that someone actually cares. But has anyone here had sucess doing it all on their own, I mean no friends, nights alone, no verbal motivation from anyone? I'm finding it hard and envy the people on facebook (yes) who seem to have constant support from boyfriends, friends, networking contacts "comeon you can do it" and posting their links....and then there's me.sad.png i suppose if a person is really strong and deeply motivated in what they want to do then they can achieve without any verbal support or outside motivation, but i'm not very strong or motivated

Edited by beautifuldoll

It really does depend on the career. Yes it is possible to have a successful job while being a recluse. But no it's not possible if you work in marketing, for example. Some careers depend on interaction with as wide an amount of people as possible. In fact most careers these days do.

One thing I have learned is that you have to be able to motivate yourself. In all aspects of life. Nobody is going to do it for you.

What kind of thing do you have in mind as far as a career goes?

Artist/own design company

It really does depend on the career. Yes it is possible to have a successful job while being a recluse. But no it's not possible if you work in marketing, for example. Some careers depend on interaction with as wide an amount of people as possible. In fact most careers these days do.

One thing I have learned is that you have to be able to motivate yourself. In all aspects of life. Nobody is going to do it for you.

:(

As far as motivation, I try so hard but it's so hard when other life problems weight so much more than your desire to be good or succeed at something. What mind set do you need to have? The finish line? Ie if I make it this this this and that will happen?

There are a lot of artists who are having successful careers at home thanks to the internet. You do have to be motivated though. But there are groups to join where the members have weekly challenges and the deadlines for these can serve as your motivation. If you are doing good work and it gets noticed and work comes from it, your deadlines will be very motivating, not to mention the money. There really is a plethora of artists groups on the web that are very supportive and motivating.

There are a lot of artists who are having successful careers at home thanks to the internet. You do have to be motivated though. But there are groups to join where the members have weekly challenges and the deadlines for these can serve as your motivation. If you are doing good work and it gets noticed and work comes from it, your deadlines will be very motivating, not to mention the money. There really is a plethora of artists groups on the web that are very supportive and motivating.

Thank you. Those groups sound good. Any links by any chance?

We've all heard the saying it's not what you know it's who you know. Even in real life people say networking is important. It is important as to what you may find out to help you along the way but also having people that you know doing the same as you will motivate you, encourage you that someone actually cares. But has anyone here had sucess doing it all on their own, I mean no friends, nights alone, no verbal motivation from anyone? I'm finding it hard and envy the people on facebook (yes) who seem to have constant support from boyfriends, friends, networking contacts "comeon you can do it" and posting their links....and then there's me.sad.png i suppose if a person is really strong and deeply motivated in what they want to do then they can achieve without any verbal support or outside motivation, but i'm not very strong or motivated

Dude i don't your career is the issue here.

I think you need to make changes to your life before thinking about a career. Careers have a habit of swallowing people and they become very obsessed and subsequently unhappy. Just like someone getting obsessed with their acne. There really isn't any difference.

I don't know why you are recluse but seems you are unhappy with that fact. Small changes can go a long way and you need to be comfortable with doing other things and meeting other people.

Balance is key to an happy life no matter how rich or poor one might be.

I'm not rich, but i earn a comfortable wage, i pay my bills, i see my family, my girlfriend, my friends and make time for my own hobbies. A little bit off everything and that means staying in by yourself every now and then but it also means stretch your legs and getting out. Even if it just to go for a walk.

Find the balance in your life and go from there.

All the best.

sad.png

As far as motivation, I try so hard but it's so hard when other life problems weight so much more than your desire to be good or succeed at something. What mind set do you need to have? The finish line? Ie if I make it this this this and that will happen?

Define success?

How much money you have?

Your car?

Your house?

None of that really matters. Success should be measure of happy you are in your life be it rich or poor. Find what makes you happy and worry less about being "successful"

Careers come and go but your health is the most important thing.

I measure my success against the fact i have my health and live a clean life. I wake every morning feeling energized even though right now i don't particularly like my job. But im not my job. My job merely pays my bills and puts food on the table. Sure i'd love another job but the job market is dead right now for the industry i am in.

I have balance in life. That is my success and should be what everyone aims for.

Ha ha. Yes, you could become an academic/writer like me! We're all a bit socially awkward and eccentric. Having said that, although I spend a lot of time alone in my study or the library, I still have to give lectures, speeches and seminars - but I quite like that side of my work as I think of it as a kind of performance (plenty of actors are shy off-stage, after all) and get lost in the flow of talking about topics that deeply interest me. I also need to network, because contacts are invaluable in getting jobs/contracts. But the contacts I've made are with students/professors/intellectuals who couldn't care less about my skin - they respect my mind, and that's that.

I haven't let my skin get in the way of my career at all; it only affects my love-life.

I think you need to make changes to your life before thinking about a career. Careers have a habit of swallowing people and they become very obsessed and subsequently unhappy. Just like someone getting obsessed with their acne. There really isn't any difference.

I don't know why you are recluse but seems you are unhappy with that fact. Small changes can go a long way and you need to be comfortable with doing other things and meeting other people.

I'm not rich, but i earn a comfortable wage, i pay my bills, i see my family, my girlfriend, my friends and make time for my own hobbies. A little bit off everything and that means staying in by yourself every now and then but it also means stretch your legs and getting out. Even if it just to go for a walk.

All the best.

sad.png

Define success?

How much money you have?

Your car?

Your house?

None of that really matters. Success should be measure of happy you are in your life be it rich or poor. Find what makes you happy and worry less about being "successful"

I measure my success against the fact i have my health and live a clean life. I wake every morning feeling energized even though right now i don't particularly like my job. But im not my job. My job merely pays my bills and puts food on the table. Sure i'd love another job but the job market is dead right now for the industry i am in.

I have balance in life. That is my success and should be what everyone aims for.

Hi. How you doing?

You say you don't know why I am a recluse...have a guess lol. The board we're posting in should give you a big clue.

"I think you need to make changes to your life before thinking about a career. " I would like to achieve this but unfortunately time waits for nobody. I could be 50 before I am happy or comfortable enough, should I then pursue a career then? It's just not that easy :(

"I'm not rich, but i earn a comfortable wage, i pay my bills, i see my family, my girlfriend, my friends and make time for my own hobbies. A little bit off everything and that means staying in by yourself every now and then but it also means stretch your legs and getting out. Even if it just to go for a walk."

You are very lucky then. I have no girlfriend, boyfriend and my family have their own problems to focus on me anymore. I don't know if your acne is mild or moderate but even so in general acne is more accepted in boys then in girls, so maybe you would be comfortable enough to achieve what you have over the average girl with acne.

No I don't measure meaning of success to be money, although it would be nice :lol: Success as in mm, achieving something career/passion wise, also of course having someone to love and health

Ha ha. Yes, you could become an academic/writer like me! We're all a bit socially awkward and eccentric. Having said that, although I spend a lot of time alone in my study or the library, I still have to give lectures, speeches and seminars - but I quite like that side of my work as I think of it as a kind of performance (plenty of actors are shy off-stage, after all) and get lost in the flow of talking about topics that deeply interest me. I also need to network, because contacts are invaluable in getting jobs/contracts. But the contacts I've made are with students/professors/intellectuals who couldn't care less about my skin - they respect my mind, and that's that.

I haven't let my skin get in the way of my career at all; it only affects my love-life.

Haha, this might be the case for many.

Look at how lot of people have got clear and do something about ur acne. Its not impossible.

All the best.

sad.png

Define success?

How much money you have?

Your car?

Your house?

Hi. How you doing?

You say you don't know why I am a recluse...have a guess lol. The board we're posting in should give you a big clue.

"I think you need to make changes to your life before thinking about a career. " I would like to achieve this but unfortunately time waits for nobody. I could be 50 before I am happy or comfortable enough, should I then pursue a career then? It's just not that easy sad.png

"I'm not rich, but i earn a comfortable wage, i pay my bills, i see my family, my girlfriend, my friends and make time for my own hobbies. A little bit off everything and that means staying in by yourself every now and then but it also means stretch your legs and getting out. Even if it just to go for a walk."

You are very lucky then. I have no girlfriend, boyfriend and my family have their own problems to focus on me anymore. I don't know if your acne is mild or moderate but even so in general acne is more accepted in boys then in girls, so maybe you would be comfortable enough to achieve what you have over the average girl with acne.

No I don't measure meaning of success to be money, although it would be nice lol.gif Success as in mm, achieving something career/passion wise, also of course having someone to love and health

Haha, this might be the case for many.

I'm sorry to be brutally honest but you need to make things happen.

Believe me when i say i was in a similar situation. For 2 years i barely left my house because of depression. Being a recluse is safe but it also slowly destroys you at the same time. You get use to be unhappy and it becomes normal.

I'm lucky? I guess you could say that. I have a job, a roof over my head, i know when my next meal will. A lot of homeless people or starving children in 3rd world countries do not have that. So yeah compared to them i'm practically a king.

However i am assuming you have a roof over your head, you know when your next meal will be, you obviously have access to a computer to have this debate with me. So when you weigh it up am i lucky compared to you? Not really i'd say we're pretty equal accept i have a girlfriend.

I hear so many times "i can't do this, i can't do that" I coach a lot of people in nutrition. Everyone wants to lose fat and look amazing but only about 5% of people are willing to make that life style change to get the body they have always dreamed about. It takes serious resolve. When i tell people no junk food of any kind for 4 week, they think i'm being cruel but what they don't understand is that firstly the have to repair their metabolic damage from years of feeding it crap, then hormonal stabilization. Most can't go a week without chocolate or booze then they bitch when they don't get results.

My point is, you can do it and you need to stop thinking so negatively. Don't be disappointed with the results you never got from the work you never did.

Changing the way you think is the first step. Making things happen is the second step. ,Moving on and never looking back is the third step. It will take serious hard work on your part and serious resolve. It pains me to see this is really does. But if a people no arms or legs can become Olympic champions kind of puts it into prospective for us doesn't it!

I've been on this site a long time, i use to be the guy writing what you wrote. I look at those posts and i don't recognize that person anymore.

I am not being harsh just being truthful. I don't coat it like a lot of people do it on here. I'd rather help someone by giving them the tools to help themselves, not tell them everything will be ok.