Notifications
Clear all

Large Order Going To Canada, Pay Duty?

MemberMember
(@ella86)

Posted : 09/26/2012 11:16 am

Hey! I'm looking to order the largest sizes of the acne.org cleanser, treatment, moisturizer, and AHA... the total is just under $100. My question is - those who live in Canada, did you get smacked with duty fees? I really don't know how all that works, if there is some way to avoid it, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 09/26/2012 1:45 pm

Go ahead and email @acne.org">support@acne.org . Aren may be able to help you with this question if you do not get any replies here.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/26/2012 9:48 pm

Hello! I live in Alberta, and have shipped orders of regimen supplies up here a few times. I find that the most inexpensive shipping option is the $34 flat rate shipping box. I then fill it as full as possible to get the most out of my shipping money. I believe the box holds six of the 16oz bottles at most. The online checkout at DanielKern.com will remove the $34 dollar option if you go past that. But it seems I have digressed.

The first two times I ordered packages, I was charged no fees at all. This most recent time, however, I was charged $16 on duty. I had ordered the exact same products as before, so I was confused as to why I was charged this time. I asked the lady at the post office, and she said that it was hit and miss. Sometimes they smite your package with fees, sometimes they let it pass. My household orders quite a few packages, and many of them come from the States. We have all been confused at how sporadic the duty charges are. It doesn't seem to depend on what we're ordering at all.

The good news is, it seems to be the case that the duty fees are waived more often than they are applied. These procedures are on a national level, I believe, so it should be the same no matter the province in which you live. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@fuze)

Posted : 09/26/2012 11:03 pm

Since acne.org uses UPS to ship their packages, you will pay duty on anything above $100. UPS is probably the worst shipper they could have used.

MemberMember
(@norris)

Posted : 09/27/2012 9:12 am

Since acne.org uses UPS to ship their packages, you will pay duty on anything above $100. UPS is probably the worst shipper they could have used.

For orders in Canada, I don't think there is a UPS option. It's just Canada Post.

Though I prefer Canada post since if I'm not home, they just stick a note in my mail box, and tell me to go to the closest post office, which is pretty close. As opposed to the few times I had to drive 40 mins to a UPS warehouse to pick up a parcel that I missed.

The most annoying thing is, there is a UPS pick up station 2 mins away from my house, but of course, that's not the one they choose to leave it at. ><

Apologies for veering off topic, back to the OP's question. I've made 3 orders from Acne.org in total. I haven't been charged yet, but I always assume that there will be one day when I am. It's really sporadic like Luminareo says.

It's the same with other things I order from the States, and I do order pretty frequently. FedEx however, in my experience will always charge you duties, so if you want to avoid getting taxed, avoid FedEx.

MemberMember
(@fuze)

Posted : 09/27/2012 9:53 am

For orders in Canada, I don't think there is a UPS option. It's just Canada Post.

Though I prefer Canada post since if I'm not home, they just stick a note in my mail box, and tell me to go to the closest post office, which is pretty close. As opposed to the few times I had to drive 40 mins to a UPS warehouse to pick up a parcel that I missed.

The most annoying thing is, there is a UPS pick up station 2 mins away from my house, but of course, that's not the one they choose to leave it at. ><

Apologies for veering off topic, back to the OP's question. I've made 3 orders from Acne.org in total. I haven't been charged yet, but I always assume that there will be one day when I am. It's really sporadic like Luminareo says.

It's the same with other things I order from the States, and I do order pretty frequently. FedEx however, in my experience will always charge you duties, so if you want to avoid getting taxed, avoid FedEx.

I live in Canada as well. If you choose the priority shipping, it gets sent via UPS and there will be duty on over $100 packages. If you get the slower shipping, canada post is used and the product ends up in your mail box.

Norris liked
MemberMember
(@ella86)

Posted : 10/01/2012 11:37 am

Thanks for all the info. Now I just have to decide what I'll do :)