Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nurseallison

Accutane...finally!

Hey guys, so I've been a long time lurker of these boards ever since I started getting acne about 6 years ago. Like everyone else, I've tried just about everything: SA, BP, antibiotics, TONS of prescription topicals, and various birth controls (desogen, ortho-tri-cyclen, and yaz). I started getting acne out of nowhere when I was 16 -- mainly cysts and super inflamed whiteheads. At the time, I went to the derm for a grand total of 8 months where it seemed like every topical/antibiotic known to man was thrown at me. I ended up getting absolutely no results (if anything, it got worse), plus they were super rude and told me I wasn't being patient enough. Ever since then, I avoided the derm and tried to manage things on my own. At that point, I tried detoxes, diet changes (avoided gluten for 1.5 years), higher-end cleansers from sephora, the clairsonic brush -- nothing helped. Then, 3 years ago, I went on Yaz + Differin, which, out of everything I have tried, has been the most helpful. 3 years later, I'm still following that same regimen, and my acne is now mild-moderate, yet VERY persistent. It tends to come in cycles: it will be semi-mild (3-4 pimples) for 5 days max, then, out of nowhere get like 8-10 pimples. I still get cystic acne, yet not as severe as before. I also get random blackheads on my cheeks that get inflamed and turn into cysts which is really frustrating. I never wanted to go on accutane because I was always super scared of developing some crazy, irreversible side effect. But, at 21 (practically 22), it just seemed like if my acne was going to go away, it would have by now. So, even though I swore off going to the derm years ago, I gave in and went -- just to see if he would prescribe me accutane. Long story short, he did, and I plan on starting approximately a month from now. Just waiting on the results of my bloodwork and I should be good to go.

I've really enjoyed reading everyones logs here -- its definitely one of the things that has given me the push to try accutane. So I'm hoping that I'll be able keep up with this log through my treatment and get to know everyone here :)

What other diet changes did you try? I've almost had it with diet, because I'm eating insanely healthy right now, and still breaking out pretty badly. No matter what I eat, if I eat enough calories to maintain my weight, I'm always breaking out. So I might take Accutane pretty soon as well.

I'm sorry :( I know how frustrating that can be. I, out of all of my friends, probably eat the healthiest and yet I have the crappiest skin. What is your diet like right now? Are you avoiding any specific foods?

I've done detoxes where I would only eat fruit/veggies for a week or so -- which by the way was so difficult, I was so hungry and felt like I was going to pass out at any minute. Not fun and definitely not worth it (for me, anyway). I've tried limiting my intake of bread so it was only once a week, then tried cutting out any and all sources of gluten completely. I also tried cutting out soy/MSG for a year as well. Right now, all I do is limit the amount of eggs I eat, because, at one point in time it seemed like that was exacerbating my acne (I though related to the high biotin content). It got up to a point where I refused to go out to eat in fear of not knowing exactly what was in their foods, which was terrible. Nothing really helped though, I never noticed a huge difference between my acne when I wasn't watching what I ate as opposed to when I was avoiding specific foods.

I would definitely consider accutane if I were you, especially if you are anywhere as frustrated as I am (which I'm sure you are). Even though I haven't started yet, from what I have read, accutane seems to be the best hope for a "permanent fix" rather that all the other things we have tried that are just temporary.

Hi Allison! Welcome! I may also be starting accutane in the middle of October if my blood tests come back ok. I started a course in November and had to stop due to health issues. During that time, i have tried 8 months of holistic things (with holistic practictioners), natural skin care and several topicals. At this point my acne is at its worse :-(

I have been on accutane before and it has helped me stay clear but it wasn't my HG - i am hoping to do one last course and maintain with topicals and diet changes, something i did not do before.

If my blood work will not allow me to do accutane i don't know where else to turn as i have done the diet changes, the topicals, the natural skin care, the antibiotics, the birth control etc.

If i am able to do it, i would love to be your accutane buddy!

Yay! Here's to hoping that our blood work comes back OK. I feel exactly the same way, that if for some reason my bloodwork is abnormal I won't have anywhere left to turn. I've been eating tons and tons of fruits and veggies all summer, but I also ate quite a bit of red meat... so I am hoping that my cholesterol isn't too high. When I was a baby my dr. said I was borderline, so it kind of worries me that I may have a tendency to run high or something...

P.S. You like in NYC?!?! Lucky! It was always my plan to move out there one I finish college and get a big girl job :)

Edited by nurseallison

I'm sorry sad.png I know how frustrating that can be. I, out of all of my friends, probably eat the healthiest and yet I have the crappiest skin. What is your diet like right now? Are you avoiding any specific foods?

I've done detoxes where I would only eat fruit/veggies for a week or so -- which by the way was so difficult, I was so hungry and felt like I was going to pass out at any minute. Not fun and definitely not worth it (for me, anyway). I've tried limiting my intake of bread so it was only once a week, then tried cutting out any and all sources of gluten completely. I also tried cutting out soy/MSG for a year as well. Right now, all I do is limit the amount of eggs I eat, because, at one point in time it seemed like that was exacerbating my acne (I though related to the high biotin content). It got up to a point where I refused to go out to eat in fear of not knowing exactly what was in their foods, which was terrible. Nothing really helped though, I never noticed a huge difference between my acne when I wasn't watching what I ate as opposed to when I was avoiding specific foods.

I would definitely consider accutane if I were you, especially if you are anywhere as frustrated as I am (which I'm sure you are). Even though I haven't started yet, from what I have read, accutane seems to be the best hope for a "permanent fix" rather that all the other things we have tried that are just temporary.

Right now the only things I eat are chicken, fish, pea protein shake, almonds, 1 fruit a day, carrots, and cruciferous vegetables. You'd think that with this diet I would have the best skin in the world.

I started the whole jumping through hoops process of getting Accutane, so I have to go back to the dermatologist in 6 weeks and say that other treatments failed. If I don't find a better way in those six weeks, I'll start taking Accutane with you and Sasch83.

I'm sorry sad.png I know how frustrating that can be. I, out of all of my friends, probably eat the healthiest and yet I have the crappiest skin. What is your diet like right now? Are you avoiding any specific foods?

Right now the only things I eat are chicken, fish, pea protein shake, almonds, 1 fruit a day, carrots, and cruciferous vegetables. You'd think that with this diet I would have the best skin in the world.

I started the whole jumping through hoops process of getting Accutane, so I have to go back to the dermatologist in 6 weeks and say that other treatments failed. If I don't find a better way in those six weeks, I'll start taking Accutane with you and Sasch83.

Omnivioum, good luck with your derm! I've followed a few of your posts and i know how much you advocate healthy eating and such. I feel you on doing everything right and still having acne....it sucks. Hoping everything works out for the three of us.

Yay! Here's to hoping that our blood work comes back OK. I feel exactly the same way, that if for some reason my bloodwork is abnormal I won't have anywhere left to turn. I've been eating tons and tons of fruits and veggies all summer, but I also ate quite a bit of red meat... so I am hoping that my cholesterol isn't too high. When I was a baby my dr. said I was borderline, so it kind of worries me that I may have a tendency to run high or something...

P.S. You like in NYC?!?! Lucky! It was always my plan to move out there one I finish college and get a big girl job smile.png

Me too. Don't worry about the cholesterol thing as of yet....one day at a time.