Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whoartthou1

Do Oral Antibiotics Cause Skin Thinning/ Make You More Prone To Scarring?

For some people, accutane seems to cause your skin to become "thin" or fragile... thus prolonging the healing process and even making your acne more prone to scarring. Do oral antibiotics have a similar effect?

Hi,

Yes, certain antibiotics--especially those in the tetracycline group, like doxycycline--can make skin more sensitive to light and thin the skin when used long-term. In my experience, the photosensitivity and thinning effect of these antibiotics is not as severe as that of Accutane, but you'd want to keep a watch on it. The effect also reverses after stopping the antibiotic, which is good.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Yes, certain antibiotics--especially those in the tetracycline group, like doxycycline--can make skin more sensitive to light and thin the skin when used long-term. In my experience, the photosensitivity and thinning effect of these antibiotics is not as severe as that of Accutane, but you'd want to keep a watch on it. The effect also reverses after stopping the antibiotic, which is good.

Hope that helps.

Well i havent taken doxycycline for over 2 years...When i was taking doxycycline, however, i rarely went out in the sun (and if i did, it was usually 15-25 minutes, i am of brown skin color as well).

I am just curious if the doxy could have permanently changed the elasticity of my skin.