Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aj68

Long Term Doxycyline

I have been on Doxycyline for about 8-9 months now. I've been taking 100 mg twice a day. It has worked for the most part and has gotten rid of my moderate and cystic acne. However, up until about 1 month ago I started breaking out again and getting cysts. My skin has been very inconsistent the past few weeks.

Has anyone taken Doxycycline for 7 months or longer. I'm just wondering if it stops working for others after a certain amount of time or if people continue to have success with it long term.

Any info you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was on it for about 8 months in which it worked great but then became completely ineffective. I kept at it for two more months at the advice of my dermatologist but realized it wasn't doing anything for me and I was convinced I had become resistant to it. Since then been going non antibiotic route (and an unsuccessful route its been).

I have been on Doxycyline for about 8-9 months now. I've been taking 100 mg twice a day. It has worked for the most part and has gotten rid of my moderate and cystic acne. However, up until about 1 month ago I started breaking out again and getting cysts. My skin has been very inconsistent the past few weeks.

Has anyone taken Doxycycline for 7 months or longer. I'm just wondering if it stops working for others after a certain amount of time or if people continue to have success with it long term.

Any info you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

At one point I was on doxy for 12 months. It will stop working as the bacteria will become resistant. However, the anti-inflammatory effect of doxy will keep helping with the swollen and red marks if you continue to take it. You may need to switch to a different antibiotic. Bactrim is very effective and powerful. Also, if you continue on the antibiotics you will want to get your liver function tested via blood test just to make sure everything is ok.