Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tootsler

Is It Possible To "test" Your Gut?

I eat a lot of quinoa, oat bran and brown rice. I have tons of acne, and horrible gas. I'm a 42 year old female and have struggled with acne since my teenage years. Suffice to say, I'm fed up. I'm considering cutting out grains (along with the other things I have already removed from my diet such as dairy, wheat, sugar, caffeine). Two questions:

-- Is it possible actually test one's "gut" to see if in fact it's unhealthy or in need of re-building and probiotics etc? It would be very helpful to actually KNOW if this is part of my problem.

-- For peope that are not eating grains, what are your snacks? I'm thinking about what I will eat to replace my gluten free rice chips, rice cakes etc. I like seaweed quite a bit, apples, -- what else?

You can get your gut flora tested I'm pretty sure, there are some testing labs that have websites where you can buy a testing kit and send off the swab/whatever it is to be tested on (I did one this morning for food intolerance, almost passed out HAHA! I hate finger prick tests :(! )

Also I THINK (not certain though) that a nutritionist may be able to test you for certain things like that.

For me, snacks are usually bananas. They are awesome since they come with their own packaging and you can carry them everywhere you go. :)

Occasionally I'll have a Lara bar or some almonds or something, but I pretty much just use bananas as my only snack. I don't really "snack" in general unless I'm going out and I just need something in case I get low blood sugar. I'm more of a 3 square meals a day sorta girl.