Notifications
Clear all

Winter Acne

MemberMember
(@greatwhitenorth)

Posted : 09/24/2012 4:46 pm

Hi everyone, i've been struggling with acne all through my teenage years and still to this point (now in my mid twenties). For some reason during the warm summer months my face clears up almost 100% but in the cold extremely dry winter months my face takes a turn for the worse. Currently i have around 11 papules on my face but as the days get colder and dryer i notice the number to increase to around 30. (I would define as mild to moderate acne)

I've used Proactive in the summer as i've found it bearable on my skin as it does not dry out like in the winter. Continued use of Proactive in the winter is not effective as my face gets extremely dry, broken-out, and irritated no matter how much non-comedogenic moisturizer i use.

This past summer i have switched to Arbonne Clear Advantage which is a milder(1%) Salicylic acid based cleanser which seemed to work fairly effectively but also now is appearing to be less effective as winter nears. (dryer, tighter feeling skin, more pimples)

Background information: during the summer i work a job where i am outdoors 10 hours a day in direct sunlight sweating, getting dust and dirt on my skin and this is when my acne disappears. It is when I'm finished my summer employment and begin getting minimal sunlight and extremely dry winter air when my skin begins to break out again. (May have vitamin D deficiency in winter months)

When i was in my teenage years i went through multiple stints with Minocycline without much effect and now i feel like i may have built a resistance.

More recently i went to a Naturopath last winter who after some minimal test said i was intolerant to indole and sold me a large amount of pills which cost a very large sum of money and I'm still not fixed on the idea that it has helped my cause.

My skin is rather oily and after really focusing on my diet (trying to remove gluten, and by introducing a low glycemic / high antioxidant diet i have still failed to make much progress. (In the summer months i can eat garbage and not break out bad)

After not seeing much improvement with dietary changes i have now began taking Saw Palmetto as I'm beginning to wonder if its a hormonal issue (I am a male), and will try this for 3 weeks to see if any improvements.

Im nearing the point where I'm considering low dose Accutane because i am entering the professional workplace and i need to feel comfortable in my skin as i will be working in a business environment in a client facing role.

Any help would be tremendous from anyone who had difficulties with winter acne. I greatly appreciate your time, thank you! smile.png

MemberMember
(@bgh9080)

Posted : 09/24/2012 4:54 pm

Hi -

If you haven't already, check out the reviews of low dosage Accutane here on acne.org - I've read that low dosage cases are much higher to relapse with the same chance of side effects.

Have you hear of Spironolactone? I am on it now and it's my last-ditch attempt before Accutane...might be worth looking into! I'm only a week in so I can't say yet how it's working. It's a repressive treatment but the side effects are low. I'm a little scared of Accutane after hearing horror stories of side effects.

MemberMember
(@greatwhitenorth)

Posted : 10/03/2012 1:30 am

Skin is drying out as winter approaches...does the PH value of the skin change during the summer and winter months?? I can noticeably feel my skin becoming tighter, itchier, as well as breaking out more. I use CeraVe moisturizing lotion with a couple drops of Jojoba oil and the dryness is still apparent. In the summer my face is clear and not dry, tight, itchy...

Starting to wonder if i should switch to Paula's Choice facial cleanser for the winter as its PH value is less harsh then my Arbonne Clear Advantage? Or reduce washing my face from twice a day to only once? Does anybody have similar problems and how did you improve on it?

Thanks again!

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 10/03/2012 11:46 pm

Hi everyone, i've been struggling with acne all through my teenage years and still to this point (now in my mid twenties). For some reason during the warm summer months my face clears up almost 100% but in the cold extremely dry winter months my face takes a turn for the worse. Currently i have around 11 papules on my face but as the days get colder and dryer i notice the number to increase to around 30. (I would define as mild to moderate acne)

I've used Proactive in the summer as i've found it bearable on my skin as it does not dry out like in the winter. Continued use of Proactive in the winter is not effective as my face gets extremely dry, broken-out, and irritated no matter how much non-comedogenic moisturizer i use.

This past summer i have switched to Arbonne Clear Advantage which is a milder(1%) Salicylic acid based cleanser which seemed to work fairly effectively but also now is appearing to be less effective as winter nears. (dryer, tighter feeling skin, more pimples)

Background information: during the summer i work a job where i am outdoors 10 hours a day in direct sunlight sweating, getting dust and dirt on my skin and this is when my acne disappears. It is when I'm finished my summer employment and begin getting minimal sunlight and extremely dry winter air when my skin begins to break out again. (May have vitamin D deficiency in winter months)

When i was in my teenage years i went through multiple stints with Minocycline without much effect and now i feel like i may have built a resistance.

More recently i went to a Naturopath last winter who after some minimal test said i was intolerant to indole and sold me a large amount of pills which cost a very large sum of money and I'm still not fixed on the idea that it has helped my cause.

My skin is rather oily and after really focusing on my diet (trying to remove gluten, and by introducing a low glycemic / high antioxidant diet i have still failed to make much progress. (In the summer months i can eat garbage and not break out bad)

After not seeing much improvement with dietary changes i have now began taking Saw Palmetto as I'm beginning to wonder if its a hormonal issue (I am a male), and will try this for 3 weeks to see if any improvements.

Im nearing the point where I'm considering low dose Accutane because i am entering the professional workplace and i need to feel comfortable in my skin as i will be working in a business environment in a client facing role.

Any help would be tremendous from anyone who had difficulties with winter acne. I greatly appreciate your time, thank you! smile.png

I've had the exact same problem as you. I'm 29 now.

The best solution I've found is to use a humidifer in your bedroom when you sleep in the winter and to Moisturize your face 3 times a day. Use Cetaphil Dry to very dry, not the regular kind.

This won't solve your problem but it will hlp.