Notifications
Clear all

Male, 31. (Ro)Accutan(E) Log. Really Hope This Works!

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 09/23/2012 6:11 pm

tl;dr - Hi! No exceptional problems earlier. Some during teen years, never needed to med. attention. Had really good skin that needed no care (I thought!). Signs 5 years ago. Got crazy 1.5 years ago, 2011, with skin changing to a different type. Tried everything. Now accutane (Euro version also by Roche) for nodular cystic acne.

Hello!

First, kudos to Dan for setting this up & everyone in this community for making it great! Awesome place to get info.

I tend to write essays but will try to keep this as short as I can, and aimed to put a lot of info in the subject and an initial tl;dr.

Story

Had some pimples and stuff when I was a teenager but nothing serious and nothing that stood out. Popping and cleaning pores worked and needed to medical help. After this I had good skin for many years. Always an oily tendency but overall good, every now and then a small pimple, tanned easy and good pigmentation (I'm caucasian).

In 2006 I got some minor problems with more activities. Early 2007 I got a thing like 2cm under my eye which was like an eternal sebum production factory. It swelled up and became weird a few times and I went to a doc that "burned" it. It got ok but is a scar and is active sometimes, still produces sebum but outposts are in a weird shape. This probably makes no sense in text, haha!

2009, another major one it the middle (slightly left actually) of my eyebrows. Red, angry one. Didn't go away for months and is still hardened but not really visible.

Then in 2010 it got progressively worse with more activities, and in 2011 hell started breaking loose. First one ear where the lobe got totally swollen, and no remedey in popping or getting sebum out as that skin's too think. Then a while after the other ear gets one where the lobe meets the head which looked really funny because it made the ear stand out. I went to a derm because of this and started my journey with medication. For this one I ate an antibiotic that I can't remember the name of. It was mainly targeted at the infection and it wasn't Tetracycline. It got better but is still hardened and active sometimes.

Skin continued getting worse and I was in touch with the derm going through the regular stuff, first the thing that discolores clothes (benozyl peroxide?), azelaic, metronidazole (this was due to one derm suspecting Rosacea) and lastly 4 months of Tetracyclines. Nothing provided any noticable results apart from the normal break outs and calmer periods.

On my own behalf, I've tried: Vitamin B5, no dairy (I don't eat much diary anyway, don't like much of it), no alcohol, less showers etc etc.

This year's spring wasn't good, but not ¼berbad. After the summer though it got to the worst point yet. I also got a nasty flu that seemed to make it a lot worse but even before that I started the journey to getting a derm appointment (as last one's written me off as "there's not much more we can do").

Current Situation

Got many problems, small and big. Cystic around the ears, cheeks (got an "island" on one where it's even difficult to make a count), back and all over the head. Smaller ones pretty much everywhere including chest. Got like 15+ immediately noticable "wounds" right now. When meeting the derm there was no question about trying Isotretinoin. I brought it up as the last resort and I've been reading a lot (of course) and was petrified of it. According to derm, no patients at that clinic had any really bad side effects that got stuck but it's hard to believe (skin clinic). Anyway, it's a risk & I hope it's worth it.

I'm on 40mg/day (2x20mg) for the first month, then double that provided my liver is ok. I'm on day 3 and really hope I'm experiencing that infamous IB because it was worse than ever when i started and after the first pill it just accelerated.

What do you think? Anyone with a similar experience this late (I've seen a few logs from more senior people smile.png. Also would love to get input and stats on the IB because it's awfully early if this is it and if this is not it (god forbid) I'm gonna go mad once it really strikes!

Cheers,

taned

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 09/24/2012 5:23 pm

Day 4

Really hope this is IB. It's getting progressively worse.
MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 09/28/2012 5:50 am

1 week.

As previously written, I seem to have the pleasure of a quite serious IB. Big ass cheek cyst, cysty bumps here and there and more activities in places that used to be ok. Getting a few new ones every day. It really sucks.

Still oily but in a weird, dry way. Dry lips (got balm) and not sure what to do with my oily/dry skin. I think all topicals I've tried just make it oily and gross. Recommendations?

Oh, I've had weird dreams for like 4 nights in a row. Not nightmares but strange stuff. Doesn't happen much normally for me so it's probably related.

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 10/03/2012 1:28 pm

10 days.

IB seems to have calmed down (knock on wood). Still constant activities but I don't really look like sh*t :)

Seriously dry lips, they're getting worse. Might try and get my hands on that Aquaphor everybody's talking about.

My knees hurt a bit and I'm more tired than usual. Other than that, it's all pretty mellow.

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/03/2012 2:15 pm

Hang in there man! I had IB for 9 days and didn't leave the house except during odd hours to find food. It looked like I had smallpox. People didn't even look at me when they give me the receipt.

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 10/03/2012 4:52 pm

Thanks a lot nbkyrww!

Unfortunately I have to work & a pretty active place with meetings and stuff. That sucks but I hope it'll be worth it in the end.

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 10/13/2012 7:54 pm

3 weeks.

I think it's working! Hope this didn't jinx anything :) Few actives, some problems but it's a bit better acne wise though skin in general looks like sh*t due to dryness listed below.

Side effects:

* Getting really, really dry. & red post aggravation of skin (this includes liquid (shower, rain, sweat), touching it, hurting it. Especially in face now.

Skin is all flaky, especially t-zone, temples, ears (all major acne problem areas) and of course - lips! The flakes are difficult to remove and lotions only help for a short while until it gets dry again.

* Weird small rash on one hand and close to one elbow. Probably related as I never had it before. It's not big - yet...

* Feeling much more tired than usual to the point where I want to have siestas (haven't yet though)

* Had a crazy nightmare last night which I think is related because I never have those intense kind of nightmares. Hope this isn't a sign of more serious mental side effects emerging.

Blood test next week. If successful there will be a dosage increase.

Question to anyone who's reading this with experience - the old cysts that are deeply embedded, but still there in the form of a lump. I'm not sure how about their anatomy. What happens to a cyst after it's red, swollen and active and calms down and becomes hardened for years with this medicine. I hope they'll all disappear. Anyone with knowledge?

Later!

MemberMember
(@waseem-abbas)

Posted : 10/15/2012 7:45 am

Hey there,

I'm on my 14th day of tane and I have quite a similar situation like yours, Old cysts calming down and getting hard not going away. They are itchy though but no irritation.

I too have to work in an active place and it really sucks everyone staring at you and stunned. Going through the worst ever breakout with this medication, large cysts on cheeks and whiteheads on chin, forehead gone calm today. Hope your IB wont last longer than 10 days. Good luck

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 10/16/2012 5:21 pm

Hey there,

I'm on my 14th day of tane and I have quite a similar situation like yours, Old cysts calming down and getting hard not going away. They are itchy though but no irritation.

I too have to work in an active place and it really sucks everyone staring at you and stunned. Going through the worst ever breakout with this medication, large cysts on cheeks and whiteheads on chin, forehead gone calm today. Hope your IB wont last longer than 10 days. Good luck

Hang in there! My IB is better already but it's a bit up and down. Will probably have a second one when dosage increase so patience is key with this med. Hopefully worth it in the end.

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 10/23/2012 2:05 pm

1 month.

I think it's pretty much exactly one month now. Going pretty well, no serious new activities and I've been able to shave my head which I didn't dare to earlier due to a colony of activities that'd just bleed and look fucked up.

Got a few old cyst like things which are still hanging in there with activity on and off. Cheeks especially are bad.

Side effects:

* Dry skin! Never had dry skin so this is an interesting experience. It's really annoying when everything is flaky and it won't really come off if I look myself in the mirror at work or smth and try to scratch it off. Remedy - scrub style sponge in shower regularly that I go hard with. Removes it but makes skin red and irritated of course...

* Dry lips. Haven't found a good balm yet. I think they all pretty much suck and need to be applied too often.

* Rashes/Eczema. This is worrying. Started on my hands and now my upper arms (area is over triceps towards biceps on front) are a bit itchy and have marks. I got some cortisone and will talk to derm.

* Sometimes I get insanely tired for no reason when I shouldn't be.

Working out works well so far (knock on wood).

Mental health is not worse than usual so far :D

I have tested my blood and will talk to derm about bumping it up. I'm not sure I want to because of the rashes - we'll see.

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 11/01/2012 3:04 pm

6 weeks / 42 days.

A few new activities now. Also a bit more oil. I wonder if the body is getting used to the med and therefore the effect of it are wearing down. I also get the feeling that some old cysts are coming alive again after just being hardened lumps. Anyone got experience with that?

Side effects:

* Dry skin. Same as before.

* Dry lips. Same as before.

* Rashes/Eczema. Worse than before (spreading), still copeable.

* Still tired and I never really feel entirely rested

* Muscles get more sore than usual after work outs

I'm still awaiting test results and will see whether it's bumped up, cancelled or just continued.

MemberMember
(@maria11)

Posted : 11/01/2012 5:08 pm

i have those dormant cysts as well that are just sticking around with no change..:/

how old are yours?

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 11/05/2012 4:01 pm

i have those dormant cysts as well that are just sticking around with no change..:/

how old are yours?

They're anywhere from 4 years to just when I started my regimen on tane - got one new, especially annoying one the first week. I talked to my derm and the goal of it all is apparently that they will disappear for good. Are you on tane now maria11?

Log update: I'm getting bumped up to 60mg/day. Tests came out fine.

MemberMember
(@maria11)

Posted : 11/05/2012 11:32 pm

yes im on accutane too, im ending my 3rd month with no signs of those stubborn ones disappearing :(

so your derm said they will definitely go away huh?

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 11/06/2012 11:23 am

Yep, derm said that's kind of the point. It's not even close now, hah! How's your progress otherwise, any good results?

MemberMember
(@maria11)

Posted : 11/20/2012 5:41 am

well honestly there has been like no change at all good or bad i dont know what to think :/

how about you?

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 11/25/2012 7:50 am

8 weeks.

Nothing much to report.

maria11: No change for me either with the old ones. I'm not getting many new activities at least so that's good! Only 40% in on the regimen time so by 100% I hope more will happen :)

MemberMember
(@maria11)

Posted : 12/23/2012 5:48 am

lol yes same progress as you

D: doctor put me on 2 more months :/

MemberMember
(@jkoz)

Posted : 12/24/2012 12:12 am

How's it going taned?

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 12/27/2012 7:08 am

Hey & happy holidays!

I'm half way in now, been a bit more than 3 months.

I feel that accutane is slowly working and making it better. Nothing real new to report. Hardly getting any new activities (maybe once a week there's a small pimple that goes away immediately, knock on wood smile.png but the old cysts are still there. As I wrote above I'm seriosly doubting the derm that said they'll all go away.

Side effects update:

* Dry skin - totally flaky in the face (peeling all the time, using a shower spunge to peel it off but it's back in a few hours)

* Dry lips. Like previously, Carmex applied basically every 2 hours

* Rashes/Eczema. Kind of better, guess I got used to it but it's a bit up and down. Moisturizer helps. I've found L'occitane's hand moisturizer to be one of the best products ever invented! ( http://img.loccitane...pg&id=01MA150KA )

* I'm much more tired than usual and have these severe dips of tiredness every now and then

* Muscles get sore from normal activities, this is a problem. Not sure if accutane or other problem (ergonomics at work?)

* I must say that I do feel a bit down. It's cold and dark here so that might influence it too.

EDIT: forgot to mention smth important, my stomach got pretty bad when I bumped up the dose - took 1 pill after breakfast and 2 after lunch. This didn't work at all. So now I take one pill after each major meal (bf, lunch, dinner) and it's cool.

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 01/30/2013 6:52 am

4 months.

Not much to report. Barely any new activities, overall not oily skin and a easier to deal with skin type.

Older major cysts still remain & I'm really doubting they'll go away. I hope someone has experience and can give a first hand account on if they will as my derm says.

All side effects are the same, also got a stomach rash now.

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 01/30/2013 6:05 pm

4 months.

Not much to report. Barely any new activities, overall not oily skin and a easier to deal with skin type.

Older major cysts still remain & I'm really doubting they'll go away. I hope someone has experience and can give a first hand account on if they will as my derm says.

All side effects are the same, also got a stomach rash now.

Hey I have the same problem as you, theyre not going away but derm says they will. Are they still inflamed or not? Mine arent really red theyre just lumps :\ Hope yours gets better! I'm only on 40 mg and experiencing a lot of the same side effects.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/31/2013 3:36 am

how long have you had your cysts?

MemberMember
(@taned)

Posted : 02/01/2013 5:52 am

Yo Ugghhh & whoartthouh1: My cyst's age varies from years to just the beginning for my accutane regimen. They're not really inflamed either but just lumps, I'm worred they'll get back to being inflamed once I stop though.

MemberMember
(@maria11)

Posted : 02/13/2013 1:40 am

I have the same problem as you :( And i'm nearing the end of my 6 month course so I am really concerned as well. There have no new breakouts however for the past 6 months..:/