Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiRoMa

Uk Roaccutane Users - What Are You Using On Your Lips?

Im on day 13 now and suprise suprise, my lips are getting nice and dry, chapped andd swollen.

I ordered some Dr Dans Cortibalm about 10 days ago but annoyingly it seems i ordered it from a US seller (despite being on UK amazon - i probably should've paid mroe attention) and the predicted time for it to get here is anywhere between yesterday and the 13th of october..

So i could do with finding something that ill be able to pick up in the mean time. At the moment i have a little tin of vaseline 'lip therapy' but from what i;ve heard on here + the personal experience over the last few days it's not particularly good for accutane lips.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Carmex.

Really the only thing that I've found works.

Vasaline is a barrier method, it stops moisture escaping to the outside, but you are losing it from the inside, so barrier methods are useless, you need something to actually impart moisture. Most lip balms are barrier methods, however I believe lanolin is not, and it's an ingredient in carmex. I've also found that honey and sugar scrubs help get rid of the dead skin and moisturise beneath a bit, and I've heard people mention using oils (olive oil, jojoba).

If I am correct cortibalm contains hydrocortisone, which I believe can thin the skin, so I would not recommend using it all the time.

I have been on 20mg of accutane for the last 6.5 weeks and so far I'm getting on with just Vaseline. I have had a couple of days of really sore lips with cracking skin but they went away very quickly. I found that eating salty food like crisps (potato chips) really made my lips dry & painful, as did going out for a long walk in the recent windy / cold weather.

I think Vaseline is working well by creating a barrier between the skin and the elements... so far so good, but knows how effective it will be after I see the dermatologist & my dosage goes up - as I assume increased dose = increased side effects??

edit: just to add that for some strange reason it is only really my bottom lip that is getting really dry.... top one seems pretty much normal so far... is that normal or weird?

Edited by lionfish

Guest *Spiro*

How many days after taking it your lips started getting dry?

It can take a couple weeks to a month. Some people get on just fine with lip balm and never experience severe chapping.

I have been on 20mg of accutane for the last 6.5 weeks and so far I'm getting on with just Vaseline. I have had a couple of days of really sore lips with cracking skin but they went away very quickly. I found that eating salty food like crisps (potato chips) really made my lips dry & painful, as did going out for a long walk in the recent windy / cold weather.

I think Vaseline is working well by creating a barrier between the skin and the elements... so far so good, but knows how effective it will be after I see the dermatologist & my dosage goes up - as I assume increased dose = increased side effects??

edit: just to add that for some strange reason it is only really my bottom lip that is getting really dry.... top one seems pretty much normal so far... is that normal or weird?

I am on my last month I am doing a 7 month course and my top lip has never been chapped either. Its just the bottom lip that is a huge pain!

Im on day 13 now and suprise suprise, my lips are getting nice and dry, chapped andd swollen.

I ordered some Dr Dans Cortibalm about 10 days ago but annoyingly it seems i ordered it from a US seller (despite being on UK amazon - i probably should've paid mroe attention) and the predicted time for it to get here is anywhere between yesterday and the 13th of october..

So i could do with finding something that ill be able to pick up in the mean time. At the moment i have a little tin of vaseline 'lip therapy' but from what i;ve heard on here + the personal experience over the last few days it's not particularly good for accutane lips.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I use a few things, Carmex and bag balm and aquaphor and sometimes a cortisone ointment I got from my dermatologist. I find switching it up once every week helps.

Thanks for the replies guys. Pharmacy was closed by the time i finished lectures today so out of desparation i decided to try the lip balm they sell at the little tesco express near my house. It's Nivea Hydro Care - seems to do a lot better than vaseline, i'll start looking into the suggestions in this thread tomorrow morning :)

Oh andit took about 9-10 days before my lips got dry, and yes it's only really my bottom lip that is chapped, top seems pretty normal.

I use EPADERM ointment given to me by my dermatologist and it is better than anything I have used. I used: aquaphor, vaseline, carmex etc. It is truly the best.

I swore by Carmex lip balm, it comes in little yellow tubes which my daughter recons looked like mustard. Fab stuff, I bought loads of the stuff during my course and now that I'm done I keep finding half empty tubes all over the house. My husband found three down the back of the soafa the other day!!!!