Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hypatia93

Strict Diet Helped Cleared Most Acne

My "strict diet" helped cleared most of my acne for a couple of months, but then this drove me to crave certain foods. So, currently, I'm not clear, and I have to work my way back to the diet again.

I'm a vegan, and figured it was wheat that was causing most of my acne--forehead specifically. So starting from January, I completely cut off wheat. I also avoided processed foods, so that meant gluten-free bread, sweets, foods with preservatives, etc. What immensely helped was adding raw coconut butter or oil to my diet.

So what did I eat? I cooked, and that was time consuming, especially since I'm a college student. The oils I only used for cooking was virgin extra olive oil. I steamed vegetables such as broccoli, bok choy, and choy sum for meals, and they usually had garlic or onions. I ate it them with brown rice and quinoa. For breakfast, I had gluten free oats with coconut oil and unsweetened organic soymilk. The soymilk purely contained water and organic soybeans--nothing else, no sugar. It's very plain, but it didn't make me break out. I had cooked chickpeas and other beans, but mostly just chickpeas. I also took my vegan B12 sub-lingual supplement.

I had dried fruit, specifically organic raisins and dried figs. These dried fruits contained no preservatives. I added fresh fruit to my diet as all and tried to eat fruits more often, bananas, blueberries, mangos, whatever. I drank warm/hot water instead of cold because it helped with the digestion system.

I did not touch my face--meaning I did not wash it or apply things to help heal skin. It's true that your skin heals naturally by itself. So from January to the summer, my skin healed slowly and became mostly cleared. Occasionally I mildly broke out under my chin, but that was from hormones because of upcoming menstruation.

I think anyone with sensitive bodies to foods should try to cut things out and eat things more "simple." Right now I'm experimenting with sea salt to see if it'll affect my acne because during that diet, I did not use salt at all in my cooking. So I guess I will see.

u need iodine in your diet for proper thyroid function. Iodized salt is a must. Instead of being so strict with your diet u can add juicing and yoga to your routine to strengthen your immune system.

how bad was your acne?

Also, where did you buy coconut butter, and what name brand?

thanks!

Pretty bad, but not as severe, but bad enough to get commented by my parents. I get it all over my face: forehead, chin, cheeks, between the eyebrows. Rarely on the nose though. I don't know what they are exactly called, but they are mostly small red pimples. I didn't get the painful ones much, only on forehead sometimes from eating wheat or nuts. Nuts also definitely give me the painful ones between the eyebrows.

The raw coconut butter I get is called Artisana 100% Organic Raw Coconut Butter. Can see it here: http://www.amazon.com/Artisana-100-Organic-Coconut-Butter/dp/B000WV153I

It's really expensive, and I get it at my local health store.

u need iodine in your diet for proper thyroid function. Iodized salt is a must. Instead of being so strict with your diet u can add juicing and yoga to your routine to strengthen your immune system.

I don't know too much about iodine, but I've heard of it. I was fine without it on my strict diet. I don't think juicing will help because my bladder is so weak. If herbal teas can't even work like green tea or strong antioxidant ones, then juicing probably won't. I also drink a lot of water. Yoga didn't help much; I had done it often. Exercising didn't help much if it didn't compliment a good diet.

Why don't you try a less strict diet with occasionaly cheats along with substitutes to satisfy/prevent your cravings? See the pinned Food and Recipe thread for ideas for deserts, better bread/grains and alternatives and more.

Why don't you try a less strict diet with occasionaly cheats along with substitutes to satisfy/prevent your cravings? See the pinned Food and Recipe thread for ideas for deserts, better bread/grains and alternatives and more.

I do occasionally cheat, which is why I'm not clear at the moment :) Thanks for the suggestions though.