Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Murph89

Need New Moisturizer

Ive been using jojoba oil as my sole moisturizer and its been great as a moisturizer and anti inflammatory and works well in the summer and the humidity, but as winter approaches here in NYC, my skin has been more dry and jojoba isnt working as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for any other moisturizers, specifically ones that will help with inflammation? I cant do anything with chemicals like the traditional cetaphil or cerave, so im looking for something more natural. The more natural the better. Thanks.

Anyone use any of these? Ive used jojoba oil and coconut oil from this list. My skin seems to always love natural moisturizers like these. Im considering some evening primrose oil.

http://www.gaelleorg...rs-for-dry-skin

Edited by Murph89

I'm in search of a moisturizer too, because I am considering starting Retin-A and I hear it is absolutely essential. But some say that oils are not moisturizers and that a moisturizing formula has to contain water. I just abhor putting formulated chemical moisturizers on my face...it just doesn't feel right, especially on acne prone skin although I don't mind it on other parts of my body. But I do like oils, my favorite being grapeseed and hemp.

I can't help but think that moisturizing comes from the inside out, but then I hear that it isn't enough at times. So I found this article (http://www.drbaileys...treat-dry-skin/) and wondered if steaming one's face with a wet washcloth and then applying a favorite light oil would be an effective, natural way to hydrate the face. Or applying the oil straight away after a shower of course...

Edited by gingergirl22

You might want to look into 100% glycerine

I concur. Or hyaluronic acid, but that's much more expensive. You could apply the glycerin (add water to it, it's kinda sticky), then the jojoba oil. Should work like a charm. You could also use a spray bottle with glycerin and water (1:4 or 1:5 ratio, or anything you're comfortable with), and use throughout the day.

I wanted something that would help the inflammation in my skin. Im thinking primrose oil. Ive read some really good things about it.

Moisturizing is about retaining water, and hydrating your skin will help with inflammation. The combination of a humectant like glycerin and an emolient like jojoba oil should work. Evening primrose oil could work, too. Like you, I've read some good things about it. There are many others: argan, sea buckthorn, hemp, etc. etc. Whether or not they'll work for you is a matter of trial and error, unfortunately. Dan's moisturizer also contains licorice root extract, a (pretty expensive) calming/soothing agent. I don't have any experience with it, but it could be worth having a look at.

Moisturizing is about retaining water, and hydrating your skin will help with inflammation. The combination of a humectant like glycerin and an emolient like jojoba oil should work. Evening primrose oil could work, too. Like you, I've read some good things about it. There are many others: argan, sea buckthorn, hemp, etc. etc. Whether or not they'll work for you is a matter of trial and error, unfortunately. Dan's moisturizer also contains licorice root extract, a (pretty expensive) calming/soothing agent. I don't have any experience with it, but it could be worth having a look at.

I just got back from the store. I picked up some evening primrose oil in capsules and the actual oil. Im reading nothing but good things about it, so ill give it a shot. The oil looks identical to jojoba. Im just gonna use it on a small part of my face tonight and see what happens.

Good luck with it, Murph, I hope it'll help you! Will you keep us posted? Are you going to use it together with jojoba?

Good luck with it, Murph, I hope it'll help you! Will you keep us posted? Are you going to use it together with jojoba?

Thanks yeah absolutely ill keep everyone updated. I didnt even think about using it with jojoba oil. hmmm. Mix the 2 together? I could do that. I was just thinking about using the EPO by itself.

Hmmm...from what you've told, jojoba worked pretty well so far, so I wouldn't stop using it. They're both completely different (jojoba isn't even an oil, technically). It's just about making your skin feel less dry, right? Maybe you could try alternating them (one in the morning, the other at night), or -if that works better- mixing them? Lousy advice, I know...I'm famous for it :P See what works best for you, Murph. I'm curious as to what your experiences will be! Good luck! ;)

Hmmm...from what you've told, jojoba worked pretty well so far, so I wouldn't stop using it. They're both completely different (jojoba isn't even an oil, technically). It's just about making your skin feel less dry, right? Maybe you could try alternating them (one in the morning, the other at night), or -if that works better- mixing them? Lousy advice, I know...I'm famous for it tongue.png See what works best for you, Murph. I'm curious as to what your experiences will be! Good luck! wink.png

Yeah jojoba has been working well. Its about making my skin a bit less dry, less red, and help with the lingering red marks I have. EPO contains GLA, an essential fatty acid that nourishes and protects skin and is an amazing essential fatty acid that is found in food, but we dont get enough of it with our diets. Its used for inflammatory diseases such as acne, eczema, rosacea, dermatitis, etc.

Evening primrose oil helps to normalize the barrier functions of the skin, maintains hydration and offers both astringent and calming effects. Its very similar to Borage oil. Well see what happens!

Edited by Murph89

Hey Murph was your skin ever really oily? I was just wondering because I'm looking for a new moisturiser and I've heard of people using these oils, but my skin is already quite oily so I don't know how they would go with it. When you use jojoba, does it absorb into your skin completely or does it make your skin look oily / shiny?

Hopefully the EPO works out for you!

Edited by Lilly75

Hey Murph was your skin ever really oily? I was just wondering because I'm looking for a new moisturiser and I've heard of people using these oils, but my skin is already quite oily so I don't know how they would go with it. When you use jojoba, does it absorb into your skin completely or does it make your skin look oily / shiny?

Hopefully the EPO works out for you!

My skin has ALWAYS been oily. Since ive been using jojoba, i have virtually no oil on my face anymore. Like I said, im now struggling with DRY skin, which is a first for me, so Im hoping EPO will be a bit better than jojoba. I dont use any moisturizer on my face in the morning because my skin is always red and I dont want to be out in public with an oily red face. I would rather a dry pale face lol. Jojoba absorbs into my skin yes, not immediately, but over the course of a couple hours its gone, but my skin gets dry and rough again once its fully absorbed. One thing I love about jojoba is putting it on popped pimples. I had one last night and i smothered the jojoba all over my face, including that spot, and today its virtually gone and there wont be a red mark.

I am a FIRM believer than adding oils to my face has reduced the amount of oil it produces. Jojoba is the most similar to human sebum, and I really do believe it "tricks" our skin into thinking it has enough oil on it. Some people say thats a fallacy, but from my personal experience, I believe it to be true. Give it a shot! Use it at night and see how your skin is in the morning. Like I said, I cant and wont use them in the mornings because they sit on my skin for a couple hours.

My skin has ALWAYS been oily. Since ive been using jojoba, i have virtually no oil on my face anymore. Like I said, im now struggling with DRY skin, which is a first for me, so Im hoping EPO will be a bit better than jojoba. I dont use any moisturizer on my face in the morning because my skin is always red and I dont want to be out in public with an oily red face. I would rather a dry pale face lol. Jojoba absorbs into my skin yes, not immediately, but over the course of a couple hours its gone, but my skin gets dry and rough again once its fully absorbed. One thing I love about jojoba is putting it on popped pimples. I had one last night and i smothered the jojoba all over my face, including that spot, and today its virtually gone and there wont be a red mark.

I am a FIRM believer than adding oils to my face has reduced the amount of oil it produces. Jojoba is the most similar to human sebum, and I really do believe it "tricks" our skin into thinking it has enough oil on it. Some people say thats a fallacy, but from my personal experience, I believe it to be true. Give it a shot! Use it at night and see how your skin is in the morning. Like I said, I cant and wont use them in the mornings because they sit on my skin for a couple hours.

Thanks for that :)

I think I'll pick up some jojoba oil next time I'm out shopping. It does sound good - using it just at night sounds like a good idea to me too. And I'm pretty sure that anything is better than cetaphil moisturiser (in my opinion) :P I've been using that because I didn't know what else to try but it just feels gross / greasy on my skin.

I personally don't think jojoba oil by itself is a great moisturizer, I think it's awesome mixed in with others though. Jojoba is really awesome stuff. Some of the moisturizer provided in the link that you posted looked really awesome like I'd really love to try aloe vera or shea butter. The closest thing I've tried to a natural moisturizer is burt's bees. Good luck!

Edited by WonderfulStrawberry

Thanks for that smile.png

I think I'll pick up some jojoba oil next time I'm out shopping. It does sound good - using it just at night sounds like a good idea to me too. And I'm pretty sure that anything is better than cetaphil moisturiser (in my opinion) tongue.png I've been using that because I didn't know what else to try but it just feels gross / greasy on my skin.

I hate any store brand moisturizer with chemicals in it. I only use 100% natural oils. My skin likes them the best. And yeah thats the exact feeling I get with store brand products. They are greasy and just sit on my skin. Horrible.

I personally don't think jojoba oil by itself is a great moisturizer, I think it's awesome mixed in with others though. Jojoba is really awesome stuff. Some of the moisturizer provided in the link that you posted looked really awesome like I'd really love to try aloe vera or shea butter. The closest thing I've tried to a natural moisturizer is burt's bees. Good luck!

Thanks. Jojoba oil is great for sure, but yeah, it may not be enough by itself with the winter coming and it getting more dry here. For the summer its great. Aloe vera was very drying on my skin, so it really has to be mixed with a moisturizer. Shea butter ive read mixed reviews. Some people love it, others have had their skin blow up from it. Not taking my chance on that. Ive read nothing but great reviews about moisturizers with GLA's that is found in borage oil, EPO, and other plant based oils.

Edited by Murph89

Jojoba oil doesn't trick your skin into thinking it's oilier than it is, but is a sealant, not a humectant. Humectants draw water into the skin. Sealants keep water from escaping but also keep water from the environment from entering your skin. This is why it will get dryer over time with use of an oil. You're sealing your skin from receiving new moisture.

In my experience, although Jojoba oil is very moisturizing, it made me get little whiteheads all over my skin.

I have recently tried Coconut Oil (extra virgin, organic) and have not had any problems with it whatsoever. It absorbs nicely into the skin and has a pleasant smell. I would recommend this if you would like to go the natural route.

I can also recommend Grape Seed Oil. I used this in the past to help lighten some red marks left on my skin. It worked nicely and never caused any breakouts.

Aloe Vera gel is a nice light moisturizer, though if your skin is especially dry I would mix it with some oil.

Thanks for that smile.png

I think I'll pick up some jojoba oil next time I'm out shopping. It does sound good - using it just at night sounds like a good idea to me too. And I'm pretty sure that anything is better than cetaphil moisturiser (in my opinion) tongue.png I've been using that because I didn't know what else to try but it just feels gross / greasy on my skin.

I hate any store brand moisturizer with chemicals in it. I only use 100% natural oils. My skin likes them the best. And yeah thats the exact feeling I get with store brand products. They are greasy and just sit on my skin. Horrible.

Thanks. Jojoba oil is great for sure, but yeah, it may not be enough by itself with the winter coming and it getting more dry here. For the summer its great. Aloe vera was very drying on my skin, so it really has to be mixed with a moisturizer. Shea butter ive read mixed reviews. Some people love it, others have had their skin blow up from it. Not taking my chance on that. Ive read nothing but great reviews about moisturizers with GLA's that is found in borage oil, EPO, and other plant based oils.

Yeah I find that moisturizer without jojoba oil is worthless and jojoba oil without moisturizer isn't much good either. The two of them go together really nicely. I've never really tried much natural products, so I can't really give my opinion about aloe or shea butter, but from the website they sound very beneficial for the skin.

Well since ive been using Evening Primrose oil pills and mixing the actual oil in with jojoba oil at night, my skin is not as dry and it seems muuuuuch more smooth. The EPO in oil form has to be refrigerated, so it feels so damn good when I apply it on my face.