Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Natamar

Female, Acne Afte 40 - Part 2

I don't know if anybody here remembers me - I posted to this board several months ago. This was my topic:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/312641-female-sudden-acne-after-40-advice-will-be-appreciated/

Now about the new situation (I am 44 now) and new problems.

My previous story ended half a year ago, when I was quitting a BCP (after being on it for 3 months for ovarian cyst and acne issues) and was concerned about what it would be like.

I got off the birth control pill quite smoothly, and for the entire spring and summer there were no skin problems to speak about. Well, there were minor troubles, but nothing serious. Besides, I started living a much healthier life: sports (running long distances three times per week), almost no sugar in diet, less stresses. My periods are regular and also seem all right.

However, as soon as summer ended and I returned to the city and started to get tired, it all began anew. Again zits, again on my forehead. But this time different. There are no deep painful lesions, just small superficial papules, which sometimes disappear and sometimes turn into tiny pustules. But many (the deep painful lesions were isolated, no more than 8-10 per month, and now a new papule appears every day). And they do not depend on my period at all. The worst place is between my eyebrows.

I use azelaic acid, but it does not seem to help much. I have also started using curiosine (zinc hyalyronate), but it is not too active in general. Since I have a kind of chronic colitis, I have started keeping to a strict diet (no bread, less carbs in general, no alcohol etc.), but it it too early to say anything about its effect.

Any ideas? The lesions are not deep, so I hope something topical may help (but I am somewhat afraid of peroxides, because the red marks after 5% benzoyl peroxide seemed to last forever - my skin is no longer young). Suggestions about herbs, supplements etc. are also welcome (presently I take vitamins B, E - and Omegas). And, by the way - when can one actually see any effect of dietary changes and supplements on the skin? In several days, in two weeks, in a month...?

Thank you very much for any attention to this case!

Usually one of the first treatments for colitis is HEAVY probiotics. Have you looked into that? Medical-grade VSL #3 probiotics were practically created for colitis.

Edited by Green Gables

Usually one of the first treatments for colitis is HEAVY probiotics. Have you looked into that? Medical-grade VSL #3 probiotics were practically created for colitis.

No, I haven't tried anything. In fact, this colitis doesn't worry me too much (no pains, no effect on everyday life), and in general only now it came to my head that it could actually have smth to do with the state of my skin. I am not sure even now - after all, the skin was fine in summer, although I didn't keep to any diet.

Omegas do not work for everyone. Try juicing vegetables or powdered wheat grass and do some hardcore yoga.

Edited by Binga

No, I haven't tried anything. In fact, this colitis doesn't worry me too much (no pains, no effect on everyday life), and in general only now it came to my head that it could actually have smth to do with the state of my skin. I am not sure even now - after all, the skin was fine in summer, although I didn't keep to any diet.

I wouldn't rule it out. Some people on here have gotten clear purely from probiotics and better diet.

Omegas do not work for everyone. Try juicing vegetables or powdered wheat grass and do some hardcore yoga.

Yoga does not fit well with running (and running seems to be pretty fine for me - the skin also looks better the days I do some GOOD running). However, thanks for the advice. And what do you mean by juicing vegetables - fresh vegetable juices or smth else?

I wouldn't rule it out. Some people on here have gotten clear purely from probiotics and better diet.

Yes, of course. So far it is one of the likeliest possibilities.

I have also started anti-inflammatory herbs, like mint and camomile. As to probiotics, I must look what we have here (since I live in Russia, the brands available from local pharmacies may be different).